If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mid Hants Railway Operational Matters

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by NightRail, Jan 11, 2017.

1. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Will it be finished for a Thomas
    childrens event this year? There is a webpage but does not say the year.
    https://watercressline.co.uk/enjoy-a-day-out-with-thomas-at-the-watercress-line/

2. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

3. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

4. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
  5. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Don’t know, was just following the link and noticed it took you through to last year’s listing.

Thanks, in between my post and yours I did have a quick look at the official “Days out with Thomas” and noticed the MHR is on there with
    27th May-4th June 2023 & 12th-20th August 2023 listed as the event date with tickets on sale soon.

According to the listing, it will feature Thomas with Diesel & Toad.

If Dave isn’t ready then I guess it will be a hire job, are there actually many Thomas locos these days to hire? There used to be a few but several of those I can think of are no longer so.

6. Wagoniester

Wagoniester Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    The only ones operational at the moment I can think of are those based at Chappel and Wakes Colne (East Anglian Railway Museum) and the Caledonian Railway. There is one being made from a 16" Hunslet at Quainton Road but that is still a fair way off completion.

Pete Thornhill likes this.
  7. Nantyglo

Nantyglo New Member

Kilmersdon on duty at Alresford yesterday (Sunday 19th February)

upload_2023-2-20_12-2-4.jpeg

ykin01, Swan Age, Matt37401 and 4 others like this.
  8. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad
    if I had known about this I would have been on it

9. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad
    It could not stand in for one of the two other operational locos when a two train service is used but I don’t suppose MHR is too worried as they have a number of good DLs

10. 30667

30667 New Member

11. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    There’s a Clayton for that ;)

12. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Just a heads up the latest copy of Urie Stove Pipe magazine arrive today on my front door step. Always look forward to getting a copy of Stove pipe magazine.

Johnme101, Shaggy and Dunfanaghy Road like this.
  13. Dunfanaghy Road

Dunfanaghy Road Well-Known Member

Retired
    Seen in Ropley Loco. this afternoon. Tender chassis for 75079 wheeled. 'Dave' waiting for his new cylinder block.
    Pat 20230226_121839.jpg

14. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Jaysus, it were ruddy cold when five like minded nutters gathered atop the hill yesterday morn!! :Coldfeet: :Coldfeet: :Coldfeet:

After the usual morning ritual, it was time to tame a few troublesome trucks...... in our sights were the current usual suspects, the Lowfit & the LMS box van......

On the Lowfit, it was a case of examining all the brake linkage, greasing & washering up where required, which occupied two of our number all day! :eek:

The three left standing concentrated on the LMS van.....

On the to-do list was the final gusset plate, and welding new steel to one of the north side uprights.....

First off, it was a case of rearranging the 'furniture' to allow access to the gusset plate, as a pit prop was preventing one floor plank from bring lifted, so cue operation tidy up, with all sorts being shifted and expired timber no longer required as a pattern being chucked on the soon to be lit bonfire - anything to stay warm!!! ;):)

After that, the pit prop was repositioned, and the floor lifted to allow access to the angle iron for removal & fettling..... then the 'fun' began trying to fit a bolt to measure it for cutting down to size......

In amongst all this, on the upright, the corrosion was cut out as far as we dared, and then a new piece os C section was welded in, kind of............ C section is not something we have a supply of, as its non standard and made to order, so more expensive!

Having already discussed this at length in recent weeks, and found sections of angle iron of the right profile, and after a memory refresh, it ws a case of making our own piece of C section - a lot of which will be cut off to accommodate chunky lumps of timber!!

Progress is slow at the mo as metaphorically tread water waiting for a lot of timber to arrive and the weathe to warm up, as we need to paint a lot of steel at the same time as applying more dollop to the floor timbers, something we can't do at the moment, as its still too cold and there's too much moisture in the air!!!

But once the weather turns & materials arrive, watch this space, as we'll be going hell for leather........ :Saywhat:

The only picture worthy piece of progress - the 'new' bit of C section on the top of the upright,

20230225_135951.jpg

GOPOT, Hampshire Unit, Nick C and 3 others like this.
  15. GHSpencer

GHSpencer New Member

Pendennis Castle is to visit the line at the end of April for the Spring Steam Gala.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

16. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

New fares from April 1 I see. 14% increase on the walk up fair and just slightly more on the online one.
    Not in anyway suggesting the fares are wrong, but does show the balancing act railways need to take between costs and potential revenue.

17. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

What percentage of the custom though is down to people just turning up, compared to people who might decide to visit a day or two before and book on line, I realise costs have gone up, but feel this might be to high a rise, i guess time will tell, I don't have a lot of faith that the present management are making the right decisions, to safeguard the railway, First there was the silence over 76017, that sent the rumour mill into overdrive, when all it needed was a statement, stating the facts, that the engine was leaving the line, second there was the complete lack of anyone from the MHR at the recent meeting to launch the new shared arrangements with the rest of the railways in the region, apparently the CEO could not spare the time, if you can't then you get someone else to attend in your place, It looks to me like its history repeating it's self as regards the management of the railway.

Widge likes this.
  18. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Coal price increases, pay rises for staff, material costs, energy cost increases - they all add to the budget and need to be accounted for with ticket prices..

I don't see how not issuing a statement over 76017 would in any way put the railway at risk or show management incompetence. It may be annoying for enthusiasts, but it's not the end of the world.

It has been stated elsewhere that the MHR were having a presentation for the Queens Award for volunteering. That is a very significant event for the railway and I can totally understand why it was prioritised.

I can't see anything here that would suggest 'history is repeating itself'

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
  19. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

As I understand it, There are some who would , had they been asked had been able to have attended the Southern Alliance launch to represent the MHR, but no one asked them either its a lack of fore sight, or possibly an unwillingness to designate responsibility to others, There were senior trustees, who could have taken the CEO's place at the bluebell event, its actually damaging to the look of the MHR, that no one was asked can you attend because we do need to have an presence in this. every other railway involved were able to attend, and you have to ask, is the trustee board suffering from micro managing, and blinkered vision? I can understand concern to ensure the day to day survival, , but not at the expense of an longer term vision,

Widge likes this.
  20. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

That’s a big leap from “unfortunately there was a clash of dates that meant the MHR rep couldn’t attend.” These things happen.

Tom

35B, green five, ghost and 2 others like this.