If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mid Hants Railway Operational Matters

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by NightRail, Jan 11, 2017.

1. 34002salisbury

34002salisbury New Member

33012 has just been announced on Facebook as the first visitor for the diesel gala

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I wonder if Jenny will pop into Eastleigh on the way to the MHR and pick up Dave for a meander over the Alps? fingers-crossed-emoji 2 .jpg

3. 34002salisbury

34002salisbury New Member

Also on the diesel front worth mentioning D8188 is out to play Sat/Sun as part of Vintage Vehicles. 3 round trips on the Alton starter diagram both days

D1039 and Nick C like this.
  4. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Another Saturday, another gathering of four like minded souls atop the hill......

Given the weather forecast, jobs on M517317 that didn't require too much effort were found..... namely getting the north side uprights and angle irons into first undercoat, which two of our number were quite happy to do, even though the van was steadily turning into an oven through out the morning, which meant mugggin's 'ere and his mucker seemingly drew the short straw........ sorting all the planks that had been saved when we took the van apart, to see if we had enough timber to construct the internal skin........

Luckily muggin's had taken pics of the interior prior to ripping it apart!

So with a clear - ish idea of what was needed, planks were duly sorted, and more by luck than judgement, it turns out that we have enough timber to construct the internal skin bar one eigth!

By the time the steel had been painted, and the timber sorted, it was basically lunchtime, and the heat was becoming oppressive, so for once we knocked it on the head, and went down to Ropley to see the vintage vehicle display

No pics this week of any sort, as for once I didn't even take the camera out of the bag!

5. jon5051

jon5051 Member

I don’t suppose anyone know the locos for this weekend? On the RAT tomorrow and staying down, working out plans for Sunday.

6. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

41312 and 5239

7. jon5051

jon5051 Member

8. Stinch

Stinch New Member

A best day on this old lady yesterday:)

Attached Files:

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  9. LC2

LC2 Member

IT
  10. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    Here's one from the PW Barbeque sight (or thereabouts) only a couple of light showers, didn't dampen the doughty track workers' spirits!
    [​IMG]Goliath on the RAT by Stephen Morley, on Flickr

Stinch, Johnme101, green five and 2 others like this.
  11. Duty Druid

Another week, another gathering of the Saturday gang atop the hill.......

Thankfully the weather this time round was slightly more pleasant, which was a god send as we needed tp work inside M517317, and after working in somethings akin to pressure cooker all week, the last thing muggin's 'ere needed was to work in another one!

First up was some much needed housekeeping, as it's been a while since we had both tarps up, it was imediately obvious that we needed to sort out all the stuff placed in there for safe keeping, and give it a good old sweep out. That done, it was time to split up and undertake various tasks, all of which involved paint......

One of our number had the task of bringing various lumps of metal into Bauxite, including some lumps unearthed when tiding the van up.......

Another chose (?) to undercoat cladding planks - he managed to get 29 done with enough time for them to dry out.

Nuggin's 'ere and his mucker seemingly drew the short straw with having to flatten back the country end corrugation, was it down from all the muck & bullets that have been flying around in recent weeks - dry it off, and then get up to 2nd gloss as well as final fix the two new gusset plates...... all was achieved, which means that when we're ready, we can trial fit the ply end sheets, cut them to allow for the vent grilles.......

Again, no pics of any kind this weel either, which means that my Ropley Spy who has been desperate for me to bring the below to your attention, in the vain hope that more than the usual one man and his dog turn up!.........

As it's now less than two weeks away (where's the year gone already?!?!) nw would seem to be a good time to put the date in your diary......

353820160_6236280639786073_73265457741058996_n.jpg

big.stu, Bluenosejohn and Stinch like this.
  12. Stinch

Stinch New Member

This Little Lady was a treat to drive Yesterday:)

Attached Files:

Shaggy, green five and Bluenosejohn like this.
  13. Duty Druid

"Is there anybody out there?........ just nod if you can hear me."

Sometimes, just sometimes dear reader, it seems I'm on here talking to me self.........:rolleyes:

Any road, enough of the self pity........ :Saywhat:

A rather hot Saturday dawned atop the hill and five like minded nutters gathered - we have be to want work in that heat! - to do battle with LMS van M517217........ :)

Various tasks were on the to-do list, and thankfully non required too much physical effort! :cool:

Over the course of the day, between us, various lumps of metal were bought up to gloss, the London end corrugation was rubbed down, washed off and given a second coat of gloss.

Also, the London end section of floor planks were laid out over road#2 and given a final coat of dollop with special attention being given to the sawn ends. ;) THe northside uprights and angle irons were also rubbed down and given a second coat of undercoat, the final gusset plate was also finally permanently fitted, which means we can now trial fit the ply end sheets to accommodate the vent grilles - not something we're looking forward to, as we don't want to cock it up!!! :eek:

It now feels that a corner is rapidly approaching, that once turned, will mean we can start putting the north side back together........

Also, normal service has been resumed, as I was actually minded to pick the camera up during the many drinks breaks!

Yesterdays steamy trains......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/duty_druid/53000654508/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/duty_druid/52999580252/in/dateposted-public/

THe London end floor planks treated and basking in the sun.

20230624_134056.jpg

The north side steel into second undrcoat.

20230624_134026.jpg

The London end corrugation up to second gloss, and the last gusset plate final fitted.

20230624_133939.jpg

And finally, some news from my Ropley spy....... something that wasn't supposed to be made public until tomorrow, but one of his underlings has let the cat out the bag on face ache!

So the words below are his.

A New Addition to The ULS Fleet!

Earlier in the year, the Science Museum Group issued a list of items to be released from the NRM
    national collection. Lots of smaller items up for grabs but the list included two vehicles, one of
    which held significance to the ULS. 1921 Eastleigh-built Lowmac machine carrying wagon No.
    DS563024 was deemed no longer required in the collection. So, built in the same works as 499 and
    506, whilst R W Urie was still in post, we had to submit a bid! I am absolutely ecstatic to say our bid
    was successful and ownership of this vehicle is to be transferred to the ULS. What a coup, to be
    recognised as worthy custodians by a national organisation is truly humbling. We are currently
    engaged in the necessary processes for the release before securing transport to Hampshire, sadly we
    don’t have sufficient time to get it down for the open day but It’s highly likely to arrive sometime
    during the summer.
    Lowmacs were constructed for the movement of all types of machinery, both in the works and
    around the country. Our intention is to preserve DS563024 and use it for its intended purpose.
    Watch out for some interesting loads being moved around the railway. As for the immediate term ...
    well, we have been looking for somewhere to store 499's front bogie once finished!

New addition to fleet.png

Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
    Shaggy, beavis, big.stu and 12 others like this.
  14. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad
    Called into Alresford for lunch in the cafe yesterday and saw 5239 and 41312. What’s happened to 506?

15. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

Why does the appearance of two locos necessarily have to mean that the third has a problem? The fleet usage tends to get balanced as much as possible.

16. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad
    OK yes I agree but I haven’t seen it for a while but I guess the tanks are lighter on coal

17. Ben Jenden

Ben Jenden Member

I don't think 506 has a particular problem apart from the usual running maintenance. Given it'll be relied upon for the Steam illuminations over the winter I think the railway is prioritising the use of 5239 and 41312 for the mean time as well as diesels (53808 as last resort).

18. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

Nice to follow the progress of Duty Druid and team and good work on securing that lowmac ... have you got a handy Churchill tank to put on it?

19. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Too small - you need a Warwell for that. Great acquisition nonetheless which recognizes the team's efforts.
    Ray.

20. Dunfanaghy Road

Dunfanaghy Road Well-Known Member

Retired
    Best guess is that it was intended to serve Thorneycroft at Basingstoke and Tasker at Andover. There were 5 built; also some 15T capacity.
    Pat

Nick C and Jamessquared like this.