If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mid Hants Railway Spring Steam Gala 2014

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by steamvideosnet, Dec 9, 2013.

1. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    "I for one am happy that the two visiting Bulleids are running solo! :)
    So am I :). "

I will third that! :) Good to see 34007 getting some solo runs on the passenger stock too. She always seems to get relegated to the freight workings during Galas.
    Just looked at the timetable in a bit more detail. What a line up. The MHR really has come a long way from the troubled times of the past.
    Here's to a cracking weekend for all those visiting and all of the hardworking volunteers without whom these great events wouldn't run.
    My Father and I are coming down tomorrow and Sunday. Hope to be at Ropley for the 9.30 from Alresford (standing room only?) tomorrow. We will be starting from Alton on Sunday if SWT have sorted the signalling problems which have developed at Alton this evening.

Hurricane likes this.
  2. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance

The MHR gala weekends have an uncanny knack of producing some glorious weather. Admittedly not last autumn as the St Jude's storm hit on the Sunday. Indeed it's rained pretty much continuously since the first day of that gala until not far short of this one.

3. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Very true. The last Spring Gala I did was 2012 and if I remember rightly it was warm weather and the Ice Cream van was outside Alresford station. I think its only rained twice on my visits to the line. Every other day has been blue sky and mild or warm.

Anyway I'm down for 3 days. Can't wait to get some runs behind 35028 and 34046 (after failing to get behind her in the Autumn when the day I went was the day she ended the day in the yard at Ropley when I was about to get the train she was hauling.)

4. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Nope, it was Saturday! :rolleyes:

A1X likes this.
  5. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Well it was busy but not overly so. Plenty of seats available and on the 10:55 return.

6. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Looking forward to this, plenty of Southern traction on offer. And the forecast looks good.

7. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    The 09:30 from Alresford
    IMGP9365_edited.jpg

horace, KentYeti, Steamage and 2 others like this.
  8. siquelme

siquelme Well-Known Member

She looks great! Getting excited about tomorrow now :)

9. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

1965/66 anyone? Bournemouth line diversions?

Certainly a very very rare event. One that might, just might make 35028 visit other railways when not working on VSOE?

10. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    Got busier at Medstead. Was standing room only but not a lot of people standing. A primary school had seats reserved on as well though.

Also 34016 is at the Winchester end of Alresford station in one of the headshunts so this weekend will probably be the last time you will get to see her on the MHR given her departure is delayed.

11. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Given the short train and the immaculate turn-out, I think it's a running-in turn after a visit to Eastleigh works. Probably March '63, the month I was born! Lovely shot.

12. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    In 1963, an Eastleigh running-in turn would probably not be using "state if the art" mark 1 stock, including buffet car! However, express trains, diverted or otherwise, were not always 12-coach formations, so it could just about pass for this category. I think that 35003's 106mph dash in 1967 was at the head of a train of only 5 or 6 coaches. Kent Yeti will have chapter and verse, I'm sure.

Still, whatever else from the 1960s that 35028 and its train may or may not resemble, it's great to see it in action on a heritage line. Just a pity that I'm going to have to admire it via other people's pictures, as other commitments prevent me attending in person.

13. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Yes, the last up Weymouth was a sort of mixed train. Pass/parcels. Usually very lightweight. And often a MN because that was the way the loco diagrams worked. Brother Don will remember that particular diagram I am sure. A Nine Elms loco working home.

During that fabulous "Burridge Week", 35028 had her turn. But the embryo MNLPS asked Fred to take it easy. Strange because 35003 was taken easy and still reached 106mph! Clan Line reached 95 mph and I recall she was slipping. Not sure why, wet rail, and something not quite right I guess. She had reached 103/104 mph on that stretch at the end of 1966 on a normal length train. Gordon Porter on the 19.15, "Club Train" ex Southampton. I wasn't on it. Must have been training somewhere on BR where I had been chained and padlocked to a desk. If I'd been at college, (near Earlsfield), I would have slipped away in time to get the Wessex down to Southampton that night. "Urgent Railway Business Sir", I'd have said to the relevant college Lecturer, "If I don't get to Waterloo by 16.30 your train home won't run tonight."

I did go over the "Alps" in the down direction behind a MN. But never in the up direction so never on the last up Weymouth.

14. simon

Only if they have a mainline connection. The support staff were adamant it is going anywhere on a low loader.

15. simon

16. Duty Druid

The same train as photted by Hampshire Unit, a little further up the line...................................

_DSR7749_DxO_01.JPG

Kje7812 likes this.
  17. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    I must have very close to you at Alton then for Clan Line's first up train. I was up that end of the platform as she came in and ran round then rode down to Alresford with her and then when the timetable got behind just managed to catch her back from Ropley to Alton.

Had a great day (but shortened day) so didn't a chance to go behind 34046 or Met1 but 31806 sounded great going up the Alps to Medstead.

18. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener

19. Duty Druid

Cheers Steve, it was foul up at Wanders first thing!

Yes you're right, it was quiet all day, didn't see Lee & Dave ( but there's always tomorrow...) the only other person I saw lineside, was someone who had no right to be there, appeare out of the hedge not far off the head shunt, ambled over asking where he could photograph from...................... I politely pointed out that he couldn't and was trespassing and to kindly leave, he wondered off calling me and the railway every name under the sun! :eek: And blaming me for ruining his weekend............................... o_O

Planning to do Shrave cutting/ Chawton tomorrow morning ( after getting some supplies of Ale from Ropley and a bacon bap from the bakers in Four Marks! :))

20. southern13

southern13 New Member

Great event had a wonderful day great shots and good weather in the afternoon

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk