If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mid Hants Spring gala

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by pete12000, Jan 27, 2010.

1. ralphchadkirk1

ralphchadkirk1 New Member Account Suspended

Bit early for me!

2. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

Thanks for these. I knew they would move her in the middle of the night. A bit early for me. Oh well.

3. LN850

LN850 Member

If you think about it, its not really that surprising. Mind you, if you were a volunteer you could get behing the scenes. (that wasnt an advert)

4. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Well-Known Member

IT Engineer
    Not getting too excited about Tornado on green stock, does anyone know if any freight is running?

As for trying to get as many people to ride behind the loco as possible the SVR did this a treat last year. They had the loco for their gala but also for the whole of the half term week, along with selling footplate passes. The trains where are all heaving, they certainly maximised their income.

For some reason the MHR only seem to have their visitors for a very short period of time.

5. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

An earlier post queried the apparent lack of watering time for "Tornado" but no mention was made of the crew(s) 'Personal Needs Breaks'[PNBs]. The public timetable appears quite intensive with 30 minute departures.
    In view of it being in revenue service for about 9 1/2 hours; LE moves Ropley-Alton/Alton - Ropley; plus the many hours for preparation and disposal I hope at least two crews are rostered each day. Even then there doesn't seem to be much time [11 minutes] during the Alresford run-round to visit the little boys/girls room, get food and/or drinks, etc.

6. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

7. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION

8. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

My guess was a second crew as well, but now you mention it that's still pushing it!

9. LN850

LN850 Member

Talking to staff around the railway, enquiris have been made with regard to the loco, but with it being there for only 3 days, it will only do service trains. I understood that the yankee tank would do freight trains between ropley and alresford.

I think the railway does need to paint some stock in carmine and cream, it is appropriate after all. Although the dining stock wouldnt look too bad behind it. At least the bluebell will run it with some cream and carmine, as well as victorian coaches.

There is usually swapping between crews throughout the day so there is time for a break, but crews ae generally worked quite hard on these days anyway.

Also annoyed about 9f on freight. 9f has 10 years left on ticket. I dont know about 5224, isnt is due to be overhauled???

10. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    Not a bad idea.....Shouldnt take too long to do......

11. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Why?
    Whats wrong with green stock. If you start painting coaches or rakes of coaches in different colour schemes you have a risk at some point in time having a mix & match rake of stock.

12. ralphchadkirk1

ralphchadkirk1 New Member Account Suspended

The benefit of stock all the same colour is that if there is a fault, you can drop another in, or add one, and no one will spot the difference. With different coloured rakes you cannot do that.

13. LN850

LN850 Member

Im sorry, but this is the typical attitude of MHR people which i think holds them back.

14. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    In my humble opinion Lee LN 850 does have a point here. I am sure we have enough MK1,s to make up a four to five rake set with one extra as a spare, and it does stop the blandness of the carriage fleet.

However "blood and custard" tends not to wear well and looks dreadful if not kept clean.

Does anyone else have any views on carriage liveries of am I going somewhat off topic?

Regards
    Chris

15. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

I go back a long way and remember when a former unspoken Shedmaster had ALL four BR liveries on the go , Carmine and Cream , Maroon. Chocolate and Cream and Green. At some point they did look good but we never had a WR liveried RMB so there was a green one in that set . Then he changed to colour of the Marroon to the Carmine of the other set . it looked more like a modern TPO train !.
    So yes there is a point for a Carmine and Cream set along side two Green sets as The Royal Wessex was a Mk1 Blood and Custard train when introduced.
    However there is also the added cost implications of more that one colour and I dont think Duncan who paints said coaches will want to change from Mono colours unless he is told to .
    Now if a certain A4 had been running with Carmine and Cream I might have wanted to phot it more often . Too Late now its off in June .
    David

16. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

Back to the subject of the Gala, can anyone please confirm which way around "Bittern" is currently facing?

Am I correct in thinking that "Lord Nelson", "Wadebridge", and the 9f all face chimney first to Alresford?

Many thanks.

17. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    Very true. It also looks alot better for the photographs that get posted on the website.
    Also makes the railway look more professional too

18. 73129

Bittern & 5224 are both facing smoke box out of Alresford all others are facing smoke box out of Alton.

19. 73129

I forgot to add 30075 USA tank is also smoke box out of Alresford.

20. LN850

LN850 Member

Personally, i dont think that coaches of the same colour makes a railway look more proffessional. Anyway, the railway is intent on making things periodically accurate, so therefore coaches should be more mixed.

Anyway, the railway has what 15 vehicles available at any one time, if there arent enough carmine and creams available just use green coaches. its not rocket science.

I hope 60163 faces north, then everything will be balanced.

Btw will 5224 be running??? im not sure its supposed to run.