If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mid Hants Spring gala

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by pete12000, Jan 27, 2010.

1. malc

malc Part of the furniture

The timings posted above show 60163 going via Guildford - this suggests that it will be facing north.

2. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Well-Known Member

IT Engineer
    The man has a point! With a carmine and cream set many more locos match. Seeing Tornado on green stock doesn't exactly do it for me, especially having seen it on teaks at two other lines. A different liveried set of stock would be ideal. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

If the railway think that Tornado is going to be such a huge attraction I really don't understand why they haven't got it for long. With half term having just gone I really feel they've missed a trick.

3. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    The man has a point certainly , but NOT about the attitude as the railway is moving forward for the better now.

I am surprised at you Matt, I thought that you would be more positive than this.

Regards
    Chris

4. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Hi Matt you and other keep on about having the right loco on the right colour stock. Shouldn’t we be grateful that we are able to photograph steam locos on preserved lines? All this has been done before by the likes of Mike Esau and others back in the 50s and 60s and you can never recreate that type of photo. Because to me there some think about a 1950/60s photo that no one can recreate. Don’t you think we should be capturing what is happening now on our preserved lines. So in years to come we can look back at what has happened.

5. LN850

LN850 Member

Im with Matt here, 60163 does not neccessarily have to be period, but at least they could make an effort to make it LOOK good, which is the point i am sure we are trying to make.

plus, dont play the 'shouldnt we be grateful' card, its getting old. Yes we should be grateful, but if we dont make these criticisms we will never get anywhere.

6. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    As long as those critiscisms are constructive and you have an alternative solution then yes you do have a point.

Regards
    Chris

7. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Whilst i agree it would be desirable to have a more relaxed livery policy for a rake of coaches, i think we should just enjoy Tornado on the MHR with the green stock we have at present.

Having looked back at a video i shot of Tornado at the WSR spring gala last year, i have to say what a hotch potch of liveries on their coaches. Behind the loco was a DMU trailer in worn green, a blue/grey MK1 and a set of MK1`s in WSR branded chocolate and cream(mostly worn) Yuk.

Don`t seem to remember too many people complaining about that at the time though!

8. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

Its unfortunate that we are worrying about the colour of the coaching sets and Not how many bums on seats turn up this weekend. That is more important ,Bringing in engines cost money so there are always additional costs to cover.
    Matt is looking at it from a photographers point of view and cannot be critisised for that and indeed is right about coaching stock,Cant agree on Teak coaches tho as sould be in Blood and Custard or Marroon with 60163I cant see NYMR and SVR painting them!.
    So lets hope Enthusiasts and Public alike travel on the MHR after all Tornado is doing the rounds of most of the local railways in the next few months and they can travel behind her elswhere.

9. chessie1

chessie1 New Member

Retired
    But that's all you ever do - criticise, That's what's getting old - try doing something constructive like getting involved in a position where you can make the differences you want to see happen. Your remarks would be a lot more credible then.

10. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

Many thanks for this information

11. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Well-Known Member

IT Engineer
    Not sure my post was worded that well or I really explained my point properly. Clearly my view is from a photographic point of view and clearly I accept we all look for something different from the hobby. For me having locos and coaches that match is important, this is not just at the MHR but anywhere, just my view which is why I won't be rushing to phot Tornado on green stock.

It's clear that there are lots of really positive things going on at the railway and it definitely has a different feel to it these days. I do sometimes feel there is an attitutude of "we've always done it this way" when sometimes a fresh look is required. (Wtt's in advance and a long running day for starters...)

Having Tornado visiting is a big thing I hope the railway maximise the visit. Take a look at the GCR website and see what they're doing when it comes to stay... you name it they're doing it clearly attempting to get as much income as they can.

I'm sure the MHR will be busy this weekend with plenty of people enjoying there day out, but surely they'd enjoy it more with red/cream stock!

12. aperture

aperture Member

Professional Photographer
    I hear sales have done very well for the event-forgot all the bickering take your places early ladies,gentlemen & children.It's going to be a grand weekend for you all.The only colour you need worry about is the clouds...

13. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Tornado arrived last night allegedly.

Regards
    Chris

14. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Hi Chris I saw her today at Ropley under cover and she's facing smoke box out of Alresford.

15. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    I'm taking a risk here being nothing like old enough to have personal memory but Tornado's current livery is as if delivered in 1948. BR experimented with coach liveries before settling on "Blood & Custard", so I am sure that for a good period of time locos in Apple Green with BR lettering and numbers would run on sets of teak coaches. I have certainly seen photographic evidence of this.

In fact, an Apple Green loco hauling an all Mark 1 set in Blood & Custard is far less likely than a full set of Teaks as the Mark 1 was only introduced in 1951 and only the top expresses would be complete Mark 1 sets for many years after that (and East Region continued to use Thompson stock on certain top trains - the The Elizabethan film).

The same is actually true to a certain extent pf 60007 in its 1950s Blue - a set of Blood and Custard Thompsons, not Mark 1s, would be most appropriate!

I will step back and prepare to be proved wrong by those who can remember - but at least we will then know the correct position!

Steven

16. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Just a reminder that we are doing the increasingly popular tours of Medstead wagon restoration sidings over the three days at 11.15am, 12.15pm, 13.45pm and 14 45pm.

these tours are free of charge and all are welcome, and if you are lucky you just may get that elusive photograph of Tornado from a position not normally accessible to the public.

Best regards
    Chris

17. BGSTEAM

BGSTEAM New Member

Logistics Systems Manager for Honda UK
    I don't know what the usual attendance is for a Mid Hants Gala is but i overheard that advance ticket sales could be up to 15000. If true, that is fantastic news for the line but it could mean it will be a trifle crowded. Get there early and if coming by car and parking at Ropley, lets hope the field has dried out a bit. Enjoy what will be a fantastic weekend

18. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    These are always very well attended, but I think that this one will break all records.

Regards
    Chris

19. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    You'ree quite right about varnished teaks behind BR era apple green locos. Many teak vehicles didn't get painted until quite a way into the 1950s.

20. LN850

LN850 Member