If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mid Hants Spring gala

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by pete12000, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

Just to confirm locos directions to those thinking of taking photos.
    Facing out of Alresford 60163 . 60019, 5224 and 30075
    Facing out of Alton 850 and 92212
    Usual lineside restrictions prevail .
    David

2. Phil K

Phil K Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Relatively busy day today, plenty of people on Tornado's trains.
    Timetable is shot though, signalling problems early on. However heavy delay caused just now as Bittern stalled on the bank just short of the summit. I was on Lord Nelson's train waiting at Medstead, nelson had to perform rescue duties.

Good to see all trains running 6 carriages, including the Real Ale Bar!

3. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    Was the late running just caused by the signal problems?

4. ralphchadkirk1

ralphchadkirk1 New Member Account Suspended

Well I will see what it is like tomorrow!

5. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    I think not though the new signaling was only given the approval at 10pm last night.

Regards
    Chris

6. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Yep, I've defended the MHR before but today was a real farce from the start - with little or no communication to the passengers as to what was happening.

Shuttle trains cancelled as well.

Oh and no Chris or anyone else showing people round the wagon works.

Def not £20 worth.

A few phots later

7. ralphchadkirk1

There was an EKT failure between Ropley and Alresford, and pilotman working was introduced. This is probably the signal failure that was referred to.

Chris - AFAIK the Alton PSB was given the go-ahead 3rd March according to the signalman's website.

Simon - I am sorry you feel that way. I will try to find out some answers for you.

8. LN850

LN850 Member

Well, ive just got back from what was probably the worst timed gala day ever. It was so ridiculous.

I got to alresford at 13:10 expecting to see the 13:10 departure, puzzled to find tornado there, and then found out they were running half an hour late. that is because of signal problems as it was being tested for the first time today.

30075 failed earlier in the day because it only had 17inches of vacuum (min 18 inches) and workshops were working on fixing it. it was fixed in time to do 3 round trips on the shuttle, which for everyones info, if formed of a mk1 break and the DMMU centre car.

There was no effort to make up time, and when 60019 stalled going up the hill, 92212 was sent to recover 850s stock and 850 to the rescue. 60019 was sorted out in 5 minutes and had an experienced crew. But there was no effort to make up time.

For all going tomorrow, there is no loco diagram given to anyone, just work on the fact that 60163 will do its trips and 30075 on shuttles. 60163 looks good with pullmans and so does RAT bar, although it is in the middle of the train.

Workshops all open access, the new workshops look AMAZING. the boiler shop has get up close with boilers and various bits laid out. And you can go in the wheeldrop shed. plenty of people to talk about it. and there werent too many people there. All trains 6 coaches long.

I managed to keep track of things by talking to Bob deeth, who just said it was a new challenge, but they had 'learnt their lessons' and will work on it for tomorrow.

Bittern now has red nameplates and 61B shed plate.

It is a reasonable day, but i think it was overpriced for the day. I had to wait 2 hours for a train to ride on. half the days services were cancelled at the end of the day.

I wish you luck to everyone going tomorrow, not many people came today, so i would imagine a huge amount come tomorrow. With locos though, just turn up and get what you get.

I think i enjoyed my day.

9. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Well I was there Simon, however to be fair to you and looking at the website, there was no mention of which station AND where to meet so I will rectify that tomorrow.

Apologies for missing you.

Regards
    Chris:

10. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

With an intensive time table I don't think there is much room to regain time after a delay in the service.

I was told today by one of the guards that all services would run and no services would be canceled.

11. Phil K

Phil K Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Despite everything, I did enjoy my day.

Sorry for the lack of detail earlier - I was posting from my iPhone. The signalling problems early on were between Ropley & Alresford, from what staff told me & Dad, the new Alton signalling performed perfectly and was only commissioned last night.

Signalling delays this morning caused about 20 mins delay at the start of the day, but the delay with the A4 seemed to cause the issues. I was on LN's train when LN was sent to rescue, but LN then continued with its own train back to Alton when the rescue was completed. Staff we spoke to said a brake problem on the train caused Bittern to stop on the steepest section, and she just couldn't get the train re-started.

As for lack of communication, I couldn't really support that. When we were on LN's train, there were numerous announcements saying what was happening, and out on the platform the M&4M station master was there telling people what was happening.

I had cracking runs behind Tornado, Lord Nelson, 30075 & Bittern an thoroughly enjoyed my day, but can understand where people might feel shortchanged considering similar fares at other railways offer a longer day, but we get into day length every time don't we. At the end of it I enjoyed myself, and hope others did too.

12. LN850

LN850 Member

Nah i think your wrong there 73129, trains did not do all their trips they were supposed to, 30075 and 60163 did, but the other locos just ended services at appropriate times and places.

Colin chambers also told me that bittern slipped at butts junction, which is flat, not the steepest section.

13. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

Popped up to the line after leaving work early only to get a shot of 60163 nearly 2 hours late whoops ! However also managed to get these two of her at 18.03 ,The sun had gone down 15 minutes before. It was the 15.40 ex Alresford.so just a tad late.
    For those botherd with asa ete Fuji S5 Pro Nikon 85mm 640 asa 160th sec F4.5.
    David

14. LN850

LN850 Member

not many good shots today, most train were tender/bunker first and in the direction of the sunlight.

15. simon

Sorry I missed you too but I was at Medstead around 11.30 -11.45 and there was no sign that the works was open.

A few photos from today;

http://simon71.fotopic.net/c1821521_1.html

16. simon

30075 didn't do all its runs, as I say I got off at Ropley to do the shuttle only to be told the shuttle was cancelled so got back on the train to Arlesford.

Stayed on Tornado for the return run, as the queue for the canteen was out the door, and when we got to Ropley we stopped for what seemed like for ever with no announcements on the train as to what was happening.

92212 then appeared alongside us, then Bittern on its own, then Bittern disappeared and returned with its stock and disappeared to Arlesford.

When we got to Alton there was no info as to what was happening so I return on Nellie to Medstead and went home.

17. LN850

LN850 Member

It did 2 round trips from alresford to ropley with breaks.

18. simon

Which, given it was timetabled to do three round trips, supports what I said.

By the time I got back to Medstead the timetable was in such disarray with no info being offered on the trains I was on and the station staff none the wiser, I felt it best to call it a day.

19. LN850

LN850 Member

I see what ur saying and lets stop arguing, and i agree with everything being in disarray.

20. ralphchadkirk1

There were problems, and lessons have been learned.

LN850 - it was not the Alton (new) signalling that failed, that performed perfectly.

As to failures and running late, well this is what happens when you run an intensive service with 50 year old locomotives.

Sadly one of the things that I found in March '09, is that often the staff don't know what is happening. We weren't told until the signalman found out, about an hour in. Even though, I would still make announcements to say that we don't know, but are trying to find out.