If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Midland Railway Butterley 1960's Event - 9th and 10th May

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by trainmad, Jan 20, 2009.

1. trainmad

trainmad New Member

Hi everybody,

MIDLAND RAILWAY - BUTTERLEY
    1960'S EVENT
    9th & 10th MAY 2009

This weekend should see a variety of Steam and Diesel Locomotives running. These will be:

Steam
    73129, 92214

Diesel
    D182, D212, 12077 (Yard Shunter)

Diesel Multiple Unit
    Class 127 "Bedpan"

Class 7F, 53809 has been requested but not yet confirmed. There is also the possibility of a "visiting" Diesel Locomotive, although details have yet to be confirmed about this.

The weekend will see a two train passenger service running from 10:00 until 16:20 with the last departure from Swanwick Junction at 17:20. There will be departures every 40 minutes from Butterley and Swanwick Junction Stations. An additional demonstration goods train will run between these two services from 11:30.
    Passengers will be able to change trains at Swanwick Junction Station.

Our Swanwick Junction Branch Line will see "Driver for a Fiver" using our resident Barclay Diesel Locomotive. This will run between 10:00 - 16:30 both days.

There will be plenty of additional attractions including trade stands and a display of 1960's cars. The Museum Site at Swanwick Junction will be open as usual.

For more information (including prices and a timetable) visit the 1960's Event Website here.

Paul

2. 50046

50046 New Member

Re: Midland Railway Butterley 1960's Event

should be as good if not better than the last one! =D>

3. trainmad

trainmad New Member

Current locomotive line up should be something along the lines of (bare with me, I'm still working on it!)

Steam

Diesel
    D212
    D182
    127 or 114 Diesel Multiple Unit

I'm currently working on a visiting locomotive and am wondering what to do with 47327! Would be nice to see it out but I don't think the Thomas Blue its in would be very '1960's' looking!

The Goods Train should be about 14 - 15 wagons in length (including both brake vans.)

Unfortunately 80098 will be out of ticket by May. However would anybody fancy seeing this being towed around as a scrapper? Could be done!

4. markjkirby

markjkirby Member

would you be able to dirty 47327 so you can not see the thomas blue? they did this to 34027 when it was painted in red at the seven valley railway. mark

5. 37255

37255 Guest

Or if the large '1' could be covered over, it might JUST pass as an industrial?

6. trainmad

trainmad New Member

It could be possible, yes! However its quite a strong shade of blue unfortunately so it may still show under all the 'dirt'.

The 1 is magnetic anyway so is always removed when the locomotive isn't running as Thomas.

7. southernman

southernman Well-Known Member

'27 was painted with grey poster paint to represent a very dirty loco from the S n D.
    The problem with poster paint was when the tender over flowed the paint was washed off so half of the tender was red the other half a greyish colour.

It would be a shame to lose that very nice livery but i suppose for a 60s weekend LMS livery might look out of place.

8. 37255

37255 Guest

In which case I'd reckon on dirt and removal of the '1' to run as an industrial? Better than leaving it in a siding!

9. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

sorry 37255 but that is a Bonkers idea ! now bright orange would be much better for an industrial livery

10. 7911

7911 New Member

Hadn't realised 80098 was so close to the end of her ticket - even more glad I saw her in action at the ELR gala now!

11. davesrailwayphotos

davesrailwayphotos Member

Semi-Professional Musician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

Isn't there some form of spray on 'dirt' that has been used before?? A dirtied up Bright Blue would just look like a slightly unloved industrial :p

As for 80098 - good idea to drag it around. What about chalking some messages onto it?

12. trainmad

trainmad New Member

Hi again chaps,

Interesting thoughts but I'm not sure where I'd be able to put 47327 into the timetable as an Industrial unless it was on the Goods Train but I'll have a think and see what I come up with!

I'll have a word with the PRCLT guys about 80098 next time I'm down at the Railway, perhaps that could be substituted for the goods train for a couple of runs? Would have to have 'SCRAP' on it I think!

Paul

13. 37255

37255 Guest

Could I suggest freight runs up the branch out of Swanwick? (The name escapes me!). Maybe followed by a run with a couple of coaches last thing? Ok, Swanwick doesn't quite fit the part of exchange sidings, but it could almost work!

14. trainmad

trainmad New Member

Any locomotive going up the Swanwick Branch is very unlikely, the corner is just far too tight and we wouldn't like to risk it at the moment!

However there should be a DMU Shuttle going up there throughout the day (along with some Additional Trips to Butterley with it as well I hope.)

15. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer

how about upto the west shed with maybe two small waggons on the back or is this the swanwick branch?

16. trainmad

trainmad New Member

Hi,

No, the Swanwick Branch is the one leading off from Swanwick Platform 4.

The other one is what we call the Butterley Branch. That could be a good idea, but I think it'd have to be one of our smaller Diesels that went up there as the track isn't exactly fantastic!

Its only a short walk up to 'Top Plain' (where the Butterley Branch ends) from Butterley Station, perhaps a short goods could be taken all the way up to the top for photographs? What do people think?

Paul

17. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer

I think it would work better as there is more access, prefer seeing steam running up the bank myself, would have been ideal for white head. You could also do a couple of light engine footplate rides up the bank and bring in a bit of extra cash, say a fiver a 10 pound a ride up, ELR and CVR have done something simlair.

18. trainmad

trainmad New Member

Hi,

I'll have a look into it and see what I can do, but as said it might be a problem due to the sharp curve at the bottom of the Swanwick Branch!

Driver for a Fiver might be a good idea, but I'd need to find somewhere to actually do it which is the problem. Couldn't really use the yard due to the fact there are a lot of movements and I'd rather have a public service running up the branch. There is one area I can think of (in Butterley Yard) but it would require clearing out first, although if so it would be nice to use it as an area to pop the goods train into if needs be.

I'll have a think and see what I can come up with!

Paul

19. trainmad

trainmad New Member

Hello chaps,

We've been having a think about stuff and think that 'Driver for a Fiver' with our resident Barcley would be a good idea on the Swanwick Branch Line, if we're allowed to do it!

First departure would be a DMU in the morning with shuttles throughout the day (mostly in the afternoon) would be good idea.

Obviously these are just thoughts that have been thrown around however I should have some news for you by the end of next week!

Paul

20. trainmad

trainmad New Member

Hello chaps!

Quick update. We'll now be doing 'Driver for a Fiver' with our resident Andrew Barclay Diesel Shunter up our Swanwick Colliery Branch Line.

A rough timetable has already been planned with departures roughly every 40 minutes from Swanwick and Butterley with the first train a 9am from Butterley.

Should be a Three Train Service, 2 Passenger Trains and an Unfitted Goods Train (running between Swanwick and Hammersmith.) Hopefully we should have some banking out of Swanwick Junction with the goods train!

12077 will hopefully be our 'Yard Engine' for the weekend. Its possible that D2138 could come out for a play with a couple of wagons although I've yet to work on this properly. Anyway, any other ideas/suggestions would be most welcome!