If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mk1 ban to be lifted?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Christopher125, Mar 14, 2011.

1. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I don't think that NR have singled out the Aylesbury line as an exceptional backwater in the way that the Whitby branch has, so I'd be surprised if those bubblecars can't run anywhere - in theory. Unless anyone knows differently?

2. Gwenllian2001

Gwenllian2001 Member

Retired
    I don't see why not. I don't know about the Chiltern bubbles but the one at Cardiff has central door locking so it should be able to run anywhere.

Meic

3. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

The Chiltern 121 service operates on the one-engine-in-steam principle, in the same way the Cardiff and Lymington shuttle's allow mk1 stock too - they can only operate in isolation. CDL is a different issue, all slam door stock has to have secondary locking on the mainline.

Chris

4. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    The 2 Class 121s (and I think Chiltern are planning to return a second one to their books in passenger carrying role) are classed as being of integral construction. I believe Class 117 DMUs are similar but of course may have an added issue of being screw coupled between vehicles.

The Class 121s in national Network use and the Mark 1 EMUs that were used on the Lymington Branch were all equipped with magnetic door locks - and electro magnet mounted on the solebar with a stell plate added to the bootom of each door (and I think some doors plated over on the 121s that had them to each seating bay) for the magnet to hold closed when running. Fail safe by the current being lost releasing the door and presumably also applying the brake.

Steven

5. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    This is correct - I think the Chiltern 121 has been requested for several events/runs outside its normal route non of which were possible. It has "broken free" on an ECS basis however.

I believe the 121's are also subject to speed restrictions - can't remember what speed it was (45?) but lower than the design speed of 70mph.

6. GWR176

GWR176 New Member

I read that the consultation is now closed (according to the ORR website). Does anyone know what the process is now to allow this to become acceptable operation or does it mean that it is now acceptable.?

7. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Some WCRC steam runs in the last couple of weeks have been Mk1 only.

8. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

The Railway Magazine reports that the barrier vehicle requirement has been dropped presumably as a result of the consultation - this has been reported before, but is it now finally confirmed?

If so, has anything else changed? There was talk of a 75mph limit and perhaps a change to the rules regarding wooden bodied vehicles.

Chris

9. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Well, I read the Steam Railmotor 93 might go mainline (well, Cornish branchlines) in one of the mags. The scheme appears to have stemmed from NR's rejection of an application to use 93 to haul the Olympic torch, but that there was a degree of interest in working on something in future. Presumably, this may act as a test case if the relevant permissions are granted. Anyway, see relevant thread in Steam Locos section.