If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Model Shows - Financially Viable?

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by SpudUk, Apr 3, 2016.

1. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hello Folks,

I've been asked about the viability of hosting a model railway show as a fundraiser for a charity, and whilst I've been involved in planning before, I've never crunched the numbers at the end. Do model railway shows make a profit? Would it be worthwhile as a fundraiser?

Cheers

2. Herald

Herald Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Like most things the real issue is managing costs and attracting visitors. Shows generally wouldn't take place without at least covering costs but there is a world of difference between organising and running a fund raiser where perhaps the venue is cheap and the exhibitors don't charge expenses and the sorts of show with high venue costs and high exhibitor expenses due to hired transport (for large layouts) and overnight accommodation. The best advice is to start small and aim at the wider family market in a well advertised location. From experience exhibiting the traditional shows generally only attract men of a certain age whereas some shows (often despised by serious modellers) but in family friendly venues with Thomas layouts and the like often get good attendance. Your key challenge will be in getting sufficient support for stewarding and organising roles and not stepping on the toes of any local club who see the local show as a fundraiser for their club. Personally I would also consider the benefits of a wider modelling show for public appeal involving other activities beyond just trains as model boats, aeroplanes, robots etc. can draw in a wider crowd on the basis of something for everyone in support of a good cause.

3. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    The local Cheltenham model railway exhibition is done for charity, perhaps ask them? Just Google "cheltmodrail".

4. 99Z

99Z Guest