If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Modern traction, stuff like Sprinters, Pacers, Voyagers. In future will people want to preserve them

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by toplight, Dec 26, 2017.

1. The Green Howards

The Green Howards Nat Pres stalwart

Layabout
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Disagree. The Class 31 Gala on the Nene Valley drew *huge* crowds and even on the days when just the Swedish Railcar was running it drew a goodly number of souls. There are heritage lines that are mostly diesel and they do remarkably well.

HY_4273 likes this.
  2. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

yes but the thing is the facility they are using was set up by the steam guys and they had no part in that. Second generation (for want of a better term) modern traction would fit in not at all on a steam railway as it never ran alongside steam, which a 31 did of course. I doubt many items will find a home on the steam lines.

3. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Bit of a harsh comment that in my opinion. At the NNR (which is a "steam railway" as mentioned on this thread) we have a modest diesel/DMU fleet. I would argue that they do not "hang on the coat tails" of steam. What they do is double the frequency of service when we can't afford to run two steam engines, they operate a skeleton service when it's unviable to run any steam, they move everything around the yard almost every day and they get us out of the c**p when the steam loco inevitably fails in service (they are getting old these days). Steam will always be number one, but more modern stuff has its place in preservation.

If films only included lead actors and no extras, they wouldn't be very good films!

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

HY_4273, 60017, Herald and 3 others like this.
  4. Reading General

would they be there is a steam railway hadn't been set up ?

1472 and Bluenosejohn like this.
  5. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    In many cases, no. In many cases, yes. I know of a lot of railways who were set up to save "the line" not necessarily steam engines. The diesels came first, they operated happily for several years and hit a ceiling. The steam came in later and allowed them to grow further.

HY_4273 and Bean-counter like this.
  6. Reading General

can you list them? I'd bet none of the major players are in the list.

I'm not being derogatory about modern traction, by "on the coat-tails" I mean simply that on most lines there would not be a home for them if it weren't for a steam railway being set up. I don't beleive it will be possible to set up a railway for "second generation" stock so I wonder where they would find a home.

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  7. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    WSR??

8. toplight

toplight Well-Known Member

I think this is the key. I consider units like early DMUs, class 31s, Deltics, class 45s etc as being virtually steam age ( they were made in the 1960s at the same time as steam was running) and they can be considered as "heritage", whereas something like a Sprinter isn't

To go back to the car analogy, turn up at the classic show in a Austin 7, Jag Mark 2, Ford Zodiac or something and it looks 'heritage'. If you come in a Ford Mondeo nobody will want to give it a second look.

Cartman likes this.
  9. Reading General

Vulcan and Victor spring to my mind, with the dmu's being bought for the aborted services to Taunton, scuppered by the Unions.

10. Reading General

Yes exactly what I as trying to convey. First generation stock snuck in by association but second generation won't be able to do so

11. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    I would agree with that. Harder to justify a 150 alongside a Standard 4 than it is a 101.

12. William Fletcher

William Fletcher Member

I'd think that 142s will find a ready home/use on heritage railways with slowspeeds and big windows. Idela for looking at scnery and moving people on not yoo long journeys

13. The Green Howards

Layabout
    Mid-Norfolk?

14. Reading General

the only one I could think of. No doubt they'll weigh in with a home for some stock but really new venues need to be developed by the "modernistas"

15. The Green Howards

Layabout
    Forgive me if I'm leaping to conclusions, but it sounds almost like you have a real hatred for modern rolling stock and don't want to see it anywhere you might go?

So where are these new homes to be (and don't say 'not my problem')? There's precious little left for it to go; no derelict lines, no areas of trackbed safe from developers.

35B, Johnme101 and DisusedBranch like this.
  16. All three of you are making the classic mistake of thinking about them from your 2017 point of view, not even attempting to look at things from the mindset of someone in 2067 or 2107. Which is precisely what I was trying to get people to avoid in the fourth post in this thread.

17. Reading General

Not so, I was advocating the setting up of modern image railways rather than impinging on steam age set ups.

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  18. Everything goes through three distinct, chronological phases of human perception: 1. Current (desirable). 2. Outdated (undesirable). 3. Heritage (desirable)

If you want to continue the car analogy, in the 1970s Ford Capris were in category 1, in the 1990s they were in category 2, now they are in category 3. Another example is that, 15 years ago, you literally could not give 1970s 'CBS-era' Fender Stratocaster guitars away. They were regarded as a substandard, inferior product. Yet if you happen to have one now, you're looking at fetching around £2000 for it.

It is always wiser to take the longer term view than dismissing things in the short term.

19. In the 1920s steam was 'modern image'.

Bean-counter likes this.
  20. Jamie Glover

Jamie Glover New Member

Civil engineer (Railway infrastructure).
    Ecclesbourne Valley?