If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

modern WHR motive power (what should happen? your views)

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by patrickalanbooth, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

OMG - this is all one sentence!!!
    Garratt (as noted before)
    Bogies (as noted before)
    Fairratt

2. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Bill ? :confused1:

3. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

"OMG - this is all one sentence!!!
    Garratt (as noted before)
    Bogies (as noted before)
    Fairratt"

So? What grade is required in GCE English before a poster can avoid being ridiculed? Kindness is not a strong suit Meirion.

4. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    Info about Bill (and Ben) can be found here. Scroll to the end.

5. talyllyn1

talyllyn1 Member

Hardly being "ridiculed", more like being corrected. If somebody wants to communicate by the written word, he should at least take steps to ensure that those reading it can understand what is being said. That is why punctuation exists - the lack of it makes reading the posts tedious in the extreme.
    Spelling key words correctly demonstrates an understanding of the subject matter, or otherwise. Having been corrected more than once, in more than one place, the writer risks not being taken seriously. Nothing to do with "kindness", or GCE English grades, just the way it is.

6. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

Sir, your arrogance defeats me. Some people are Dyslectic and no amount of bullying online will help except create resentment and marginalisation.

7. talyllyn1

talyllyn1 Member

It's hard to understand where exactly yet get "arrogance" and "bullying" from. I suffer from a mild form of dyslexia myself, which seems to be getting worse as I get older. Question - why is dyslexia so hard to spell? :). Because of this I have to check every post carefully before I submit it. I don't just do this out of common courtesy, I do it to ensure that people can understand what I am trying to say. If they can't it's pointless typing it in the first place.
    To infer "resentment" and "marginalisation" is, I'm afraid, typical of some of today's "PC" apologists.
    That said, if I started a topic which basically told the FR how to organise their motive power, went on to say that " im pretty good on the subject of the WHR " (sic) and continued to spell Garratt as though they were traction engines (Garrett, etc) despite being politey corrected, I'd deserve what I got in replies!

8. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    This forum makes it possible for an 11 year old to post as if he is speaking on behalf of the railway.

The number of semi literate posts certainly increases during the school holidays.

9. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

I agree. We all make the occasional spelling mistake (though with many internet browsers now having built-in spellcheckers these ought to be easier than ever to spot), but the important thing is to look as though you've made an effort. Similarly, one doesn't have to have read Eats, Shoots and Leaves to know that one ought to use a full stop once in a while, and then begin a new sentence with a capital letter.

If a person wants their posts to be taken seriously they have to show that they take the writing of them seriously. I don't say that out of arrogance; I do so because I genuinely want to help the "semi-literate" posters on these forums to understand why they are not being taken seriously. Once they learn that correct spelling and grammar will help them to be taken seriously, hopefully we will see them produce better-written posts that are taken more seriously. Everyone will then be happier.

10. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Oh, come on! Surely the mistake of Dyslectic for Dyslexic was deliberate!!! :)

11. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

I quite agree - surely it can't be too hard to keep a check list of important railway-related words (that you're actually posting on) handy for when you post on Nat Pres?

12. Baldopeter

Baldopeter New Member

Bill ( or is it Ben) has been in Blodge for some weeks, and has been worked upon during 'quiet' periods, a for more up to date pic is here

http://www.ffestiniograilway.org.uk/images/stories/Jul12/Prince8/20120715-shunter.jpg

The reference to Reynolds castle is due to 'The Reynolds Gang' working on it for a week. It now looks like a major rebuild for the cab with doors and a new driving position, not quite sure why, I though they would have a very low top speed and just trundle around the yard.

The brother to Bill or Ben was still languishing at Dinas in mid July, I do not know if it will get a trip south to re gauge it.

Regards

Peter

13. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

Oh, come on! Surely the mistake of Dyslectic for Dyslexic was deliberate!!!

Actually, the spelling is as correct as dyslexic. As a retired psychologist I would suggest that YOU look it up!

"Hardly being "ridiculed", more like being corrected."

More like trying for a cheap laugh at a young person's expense.

This is not the way to encourage young people to become involved in railway preservation. I agree that his original post was a tad immature but a pm to him would have sufficed.

14. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

"The brother to Bill or Ben was still languishing at Dinas in mid July"

I do hope that it will be named Weed!

15. Rbridge100

Rbridge100 New Member

I thought I might put forward some questions I've come up with after reading this thread.

I've noticed that K1 gets a certain amount of bad press, due to its lack of power/shock-absorbers/simple expansion/use etc.; some have dismissed it as a working museum-piece. But to me it seems ideal as a secondary engine for lighter trains, like Lyd on the FR, if its foibles (or are they more serious than that?) can be corrected.

Is this a valid argument? I understand the Porthmadog-Rhyd Ddu service is Fairlie-hauled; how far is this within their capabilities? It's been mentioned previously that it would be desirable to use locos which can work within their comfort zone and K1 would surely fit the bill for this service, if nothing else; I assume that it has a greater power output than a Fairlie provided it doesn't slip.
    Would anyone be willing to give an idea of the running costs of K1? I wonder if it would make a cheaper steam alternative to the NGG16s when their might is not required. I don't how K1 compares to the Funkeys, but at least it doesn't suffer from broken gearboxes or overheating (unless the axleboxes do!).

Jon

16. Gwenllian2001

Gwenllian2001 Member

Retired
    I couldn't agree more. If I had received such a poorly written application for a job, it would have been consigned the shredder. We all make mistakes from time to time but there is no excuse for what amounts to laziness.

17. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

From the Indian Times

" The Parel railway workshop will soon begin manufacturing three diesel engines for mini trains of the Gwalior narrow gauge section, the narrowest gauge in the world.
    The narrow gauge section, on a 198-km stretch of heritage value, connects over 250 villages through 27 stations and is the only mode of transport available in the region.
    Sunit Sharma, chief works manager, Central Railway, said the work on these engines would be completed by the end of this financial year. "Till now, all engines made in this workshop are running successfully. Such offers motivate our staff," he said.
    Since August 2006, when it started manufacturing locomotives, the workshop has manufactured 11 narrow gauge locos — nine for Kalka-Shimla and two for Neral-Matheran mini railways — and 159 broad gauge engines. The workshop had been handling only maintenance and repair works of locomotives till 2006.
    A dual cab design with ergonomic driving console and seat, provision of vigilance control device for safety in operation, micro-controller based speed recorder and over-speed control will be introduced in locos being manufactured for Gwalior. Each locomotive will weigh 23 tonnes and the dual cab facility is aimed at ease of visibility.
    At present, there are ten 30-year-old diesel locomotives in the Gwalior narrow gauge section. "The North Central Railway has demanded three engines and the workshop will manufacture more if there is need," Sharma said."

Does anyone know the power of these locos? The 2ft Gwalior line is due for reguaging soon.

18. odc

odc Member

Network Technician at St Albans School
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I too have suggested in the past that K1 would be useful on Porth - Beddgelert trains, but..... there is no where at Boston Lodge for it to live and to make the service viable there would need to be more carriages for trains in the middle of the day (Porth re-signalling will make this more practical once we have some). The morning service, all though picking up more before coming back was poorly loaded and has been dropped (mostly as a result of VoF being rebuilt I know) and the evening service is also not great and is well within the capacity of a double engine without needing to steam another loco....or find extra stock.

19. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

There is something consistent about this thread in that some correspondents seem to want to put people down rather than consider their arguments. Whether the persons concerned seem to have trouble with expressing themselves in typescript (I nearly said "on paper") or are tourism professionals seeking to make constructive suggestions, some of the replies to their comments seem to have a a ghost prefix of "How dare you".

No organisation will be free from opponents. Equally, no organisation is perfect or can exist in a vacuum ignoring what other people think. Please can this thread develop a little more kindliness and open-mindedness. (I am including the grammar police in this!)

P.H.

20. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    I was sent a copy of a letter today which spent 3,000 words explaining why the FR was crazy to move from horse to steam power; that it charged more for freight than other lines; and that it was mad to carry first class passengers when it should take an example from the railways in Ceylon, where 3rd class carriages are 'properly filled'. It also claims that construction costs for narrow gauge railways are not much less than those of standard gauge, one of the reasons cited is that, although the sidings take up less space, 'they must be twice as long because a decrease in the width must entail increase in the length of the trains'.

The letter was dated September 16th 1873. Slagging off the FR is nothing new.

Mrcow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.