If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

modern WHR motive power (what should happen? your views)

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by patrickalanbooth, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

No one has been slagging off the FR on this thread and I cannot understand why you felt it necessary to include this. There have however, been comments about you and your cohorts who like to do a bit of bullying on the side.

2. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

What the extract does confirm is that there was something about the 19th. century FR that generated emnity, often manifesting itself in rather foolish ways such as that quoted. When the time came for the F.R. to need friends there weren't all that many of them around. Everyone needs friends!

3. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

To AndrewT and his friends the Grammer Police 3/10 must try harder

Let me spell it out. You, sir are supposed to be the PR man for FR/RhE or so I am given to believe. There are many of us out there who are FR/RhE fans, some of us have been from the start of the FR revival. Support for the line needs to continue and this means (shock horror) YOUNG PEOPLE. Questions about the line will continue to come thick and fast from those besotted with the railway. They will, however, not always be structured in the way you consider that they should be. Questions may even be asked that are difficult to answer.

When, for instance, Pete Waterman bought 109, you were the first to plaster the news everywhere. When the project collapsed, rather than dealing with the situation in a reasonable manner, you tried to bully into silence those who asked about current progress by accusing them of 'being rude'. It seems to me that you attempt to control discussions about the railways by bullying those who do not follow your very narrow criteria. This sort of behaviour died with the Stasi. Your approach to
    patrickalanbooth is just typical. Fora do not work like this.

4. dilbert2k

dilbert2k New Member

Grammar :)

Spelling Police.

5. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

* GrammAr :)

6. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

Yep, you got me there! :loco:

7. GeoffH

GeoffH New Member

8. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Ok guys, this thread is going to be closed if you are just going to criticise other people's grammar/spelling. If you can understand a post, however badly it may be written, then that's fine. There is no minimum qualifications for posting on this forum and some of the best engineers didn't have the greatest writing skills.

Now, back on topic please ...

Richard

9. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

Thank you Richard

Now, does anybody know about those diesels on the Gwalior?

10. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

The problem seems to be that some people who express views dislike it if others, perhaps better placed to actually know, disagree with those views. Unfortunatly the FR/RHe is a commercial organisation, and as such it - I would expect - has strategies for business reasons that it doesn't disclose, so perhaps there is sometimes a certain lack of detail from those 'in the know'.

But equally, because it is a professionally run business, it has acheived the near-impossibility of restoring the entire (original) WHR apart form the odd branch or two, plus achieved the goal the (original) WHR never did of linking Caernarfon and Porthmadog on the 2-foot. Some of the criticisms made of this stupendous achievement do indeed seem to come over as carping, at least from the angle of a low-level volunteer.

Despite my opening paragraph it does however disclose a lot, and last year put out an extensive publication on its vision for the next few years - new carriage sheds, new diesels, etc. etc. I don't recall it specifically mentioning the steam loco situation for the Rhe as chief among the new projects, no doubt because we have enough locos and it is just a question of getting them in to action. I conclude from the postings here that the current intention is to have three NGG16's by the end of this season and available for next season, with the first NG15 following as soon as possible. I don't think K1 is dismissed, it is still being worked on, but it is only really suitable for off peak services or shuttles at the north end of the line - it is too tall to be housed at Boston Lodge.

11. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    Really looking forward to seeing an NG15 run, remember having a climb about on the one at Porthmadog (WHHR) when I was a Nipper and thinking 'wow this is really big for an NG loco'
    Also think it will look really smart!

Chris

12. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

"The problem seems to be that some people who express views dislike it if others, perhaps better placed to actually know, disagree with those views. Unfortunatly the FR/RHe is a commercial organisation, and as such it - I would expect - has strategies for business reasons that it doesn't disclose, so perhaps there is sometimes a certain lack of detail from those 'in the know'. "

Fair comment up to a point but one also gets the impression that civil responses are only given to those 'considered worthy'.

13. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Absolutely so. As Jane Austen put it, some people need to behave in a "more gentleman-like manner". If "better placed" individuals cannot reply in a civil way, they should not reply at all.

P.H.

14. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

Very well put! It is not beyond the realms of possibility that K1 will be found a role in the future (or perhaps even a big shed at Blodge in the fullness of time). The off-peak role, if loadings allow, may give more time for winter maintenance on the larger locos. It's good to see the NG15 taking shape, and I for one would make a trip to Gwynedd to see it perform.

Steve B

15. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

......hear, hear !!

16. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    I will leave you to your sad posturing.

Goodbye.

17. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

And the rest of us to yours.

18. richards

richards Part of the furniture

As various members seem to have ignored my previous warning, I am closing this thread. The moderators are aware who these members are, and will be watching their posts elsewhere on the forum.

If you have any problems with this, please PM me.

Richard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.