If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Moorlands and City Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Guest, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Froghall - Is the Railway still open? Sadly no. Chalk board says re-opening soon, but it's said that for months.
    Leek - too many to mention, but a wonderful town for respectable drinking
    Bradnop - ? Nothing here AFAIK
    Ipstones - a couple of lovely pubs, but a fair walk. There's one in the guides near the old station - The Forge - but I don't recall seeing it.
    Bottomhouses- There was the Green Man at the cross roads on the main road but it's boarded up now.
    Winkhill - Nothing there - The George on the way to Waterhouses is the nearest

Iain

2. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    Well for only the second time in 10 years the p-way gang has decided that the weather conditions are to bad to work. Looking at the webcam at Apesford everything is under a deep blanket of snow. Cheddleton yard looks rather bleak with the diesels covered in snow, good job the gala has finished.
    Looking forward to the Soke line being reopened in 2012 what would you like to see as the first passenger locomotive on the Stoke/CVR/Cauldon lines, be it steam or diesel.
    Myself I would like to see a Jubilee as I have fond memories of waiting at Normacott Station for the 3-15 Sunday service which was the only regular named train run usually pulled by a Jubilee.

3. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

For me it would have to be lms. So i would like a pacific but not sure what Will be running. Royal Scot or Scots guardsman would be nice as a 4-6-0. If those not available then britannia would be nice. I think the most famous of locomotives would be very nice also as flying scotsman should be ready by then.

4. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Oh and some good news. I think i have persuaded my dads friend to put his bruff road rail vehicle or how ever its spelt on cvr. He hasn't heard from the seven valley about if they want it. Its double cabbed and fits 10 people in he said to me. Only done 6k on the engine. So Im with him this weekend so ill get more information. So we could have our own p way vehicle. Good times

5. Sheff

Hey well done Gav - sounds like a stretched-limo version of the old Permaquip ;)

Hope it's got a decent heater for the January renovation of the Stoke branch

6. Kenneth

Kenneth New Member

Clerk of Works
    Gimme a (grimey) 4F for the first train to bring back memories. I'm sure one in good fettle could also make it up the bank to Ipstones without the need for a tin can. If not, then Britannia would do fine, especially if some sponsorship could be got from the local Building Society of the same name. They have considerable parking problems there, and we could have a "win-win" situation if some of their employees could in the future be encouraged to get to work on the train.
    I'm glad we're beginning to talk of the vast potential of a re-opened line to Stoke.

7. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

Make your mind up Gav, one or the other. I'd go with your first instinct to vote LMS. If 6100 Royal Scot turns out to have recovered well under the doctors at Crewe, it would be ideal; new kid on the block but famous name, right pedigree, plenty of power.

4F as banker from Leekbrook to Cauldon Lowe, perhaps?
    Though the Scot's current livery would go well with 8624's, and you'd be able to spot 'em from miles away ;)

8. Coboman

Coboman Member

Any of these would be nice. 4MT 2-6-4T, 4MT 2-6-0, black5, 4F, or a green class 24, or 25 or 40.

9. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

I am massively impressed by the progress being made on what I thought sounded like a pipe dream. Well done to the visionaries who first proposed the scheme, and now to the volunteers who are turning potential into reality. It just shows what can be achieved when the track bed is intact.
    If/when the Stoke connection is reinstated a whole new wave of opportunity presents itself on top of what already exists. What price on an Alton Towers reconnection now!
    With this and the WHR getting into Porthmadog I'm starting to believe again that the MNR will one day get back to Fakenham and the K&ESR to Robertsbridge.

10. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Nice to see the two coaches from Foxfield made it to the front cover of the Railway Magazine, shame there's a big green engine in front of the LMS coach! :eyebrows:

11. Kenneth

Kenneth New Member

Clerk of Works
    The difference is that MCR and CVR are developing this venture as a commercial railway, and I think you've seen nothing yet in the "impressiveness" of the whole scheme. North Staffordshire people have a reputation for creative endeavour, and MCR is true to type. As has been pointed out in RM and other places, the primary purpose is to shift vast quantities of limestone and cement onto the national network, but the potential for the entire scheme is enormous. For one thing, it will provide rail connectivity for tens of thousands of people to the national network, and is certain to promote real regeneration to the North Staffordshire area. Secondly, it will promote industrial and commercial development along the route. Thirdly, it will provide local travel opportunities for hundreds of thousands of people in a congested city, including getting to work (I hate the word "commuting"). Fourthly, it will enable the Moorlands to further develop its tourism potential whilst defeating the curse of the private car, and this will delight those of us familiar with this incredibly beautiful part of the world.
    I can see a time not far off when MCR will be obliged to double the track into Stoke to cope with all the newly generated traffic, including newly established industry in the de-industrialised City of Stoke-on-Trent. And there remains the opportunity for further developments (as yet unspoken) including the Biddulph branch from Milton Junction, which would allow the exploitation of enormous reserves of outcropping coal and ironstone. MCR has everything going for it, and for me it remains the most potent beacon of hope that I have ever seen from my North Staffordshire perspective. It's a pity that all the local authorities (with the notable exception of Staffordshire Moorlands) don't see it that way. However, the establishment of realities will surely force them to change that view.

12. Coboman

Coboman Member

I think the big thing MCR will show if it becomes a commercial success is how narrow minded and un enterprising BR and the government were in allowing that particular part of the network to become disused. If you look at the bigger network picture you'll see similar closures were happening round the country at that time, and I'm sure if those particular lines were still there then the potential of them could be realized like MCR's. Trouble is the MCR lines are an exception. Most lines that fell into dissuse in the 80s have been ripped up and built over.
    Jim

13. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Well done to MCR! I think that the recent weather has also shown how much we need our railways back. Sure, there has been much whining in the media about train services being disrupted and that is true - but the conditions have been unusual to say the least for late November-early December! I had to travel to London and back last Wednesday on East Coast to Kings X from Lincolnshire and it was no hassle whatsoever. I know that is a main line but our East Midlands trains were running OK too. I won't mention the potential rebirth of the Somerset and Dorset though. Oh dear, I mentioned it!

14. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    Does anyone know if there are any more excursions or planned trips up the Cauldon Line during the next few months. Looking at the weather it could be late Spring before we do a line walk. Anyone got a spare snowplough?.

15. Churnet Valley Railway

Churnet Valley Railway New Member

It is hoped that we will be holding a steam gala in February however the details are still to be confirmed. This may be an oppportunity for the Cauldon Low line to be used again.

There is a railtour coming to Stoke-on-Trent in April which includes an optional coach trip to CVR and rail travel to Oakamoor and Cauldon Low.

16. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    Well 3 brave souls turned out today to attempt a line walk. With the snow on the ground only the fishplates and keys could be checked but we managed to do from Consall to Leekbrook. The first Santa train had to stop for sheep on the line, so when we reached the spot we had to round them up and get them back into the field. That was the highlight of a very cold day but the trees with the hoar frost on them were magical.

17. Coboman

Coboman Member

Farmer Jeff! LOL Cannot wait for this iceage to end so we can get on with some propper Pway work again.

18. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

i agree but with current working Im unable to get down till the start of January. missing it actually. but Christmas is our busiest time. how is everyone doing.

19. Sheff

Yeah I'm missing my weekly fix too, since we got snowed off. What with the garden being frozen solid and too icy for the bike, I'm slowly atrophying away here, so I'm resorting to the gym in the short term. :( Still we've got Leekbrook-Stoke to look fwd too in the New Year :)

20. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    On Wednesday drove up to the end of the current line at Cauldon Lowe to do some small repair jobs that were spotted on the last line walk. Interesting to see what remains of all the sidings that used to be there, most of them are made up of 30 ft rails and the fishplates have the square holes in them. We drove past the Tarmac works and noticed that they are demolishing their loading hoppers don't know the reason why. We also checked out the alignment of the old Waterhouse line through bridge 39/1 wether this will be used to get to Lafarge or not is open to speculation, one can only hope.