If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Moorlands and City Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Guest, Oct 14, 2009.

1. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    From my understanding, Stoke to Leekbrook will be completely new. Reason for this is that this is expected to the more intensively used once everything is set up and running (Freight/Commuter/Tourist trains). Therefore it seems logical to do all the hard work now and just maintain it after, than having to stop/start to do major repairs once open. The Cauldon section was different as it isn't going to be as intensively used (and line speed isn't expected to be increased much if at all) so hey replaced only what was required. The fact that there was a lot in much better condition than first thought was a bonus, hence the earlier than planned opening.

2. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    What do you mean by: 'do all the hard work now and maintain it'?

3. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    Have journeyed along most of the line, though it was over a year ago and a lot of things have changed. From memory though:
    Fenton Manor platforms are still there, but all access to it was blocked when I went to have a look There is a road overbridge at each end but one only allows access to the industrial unit the other side.
    Bucknall I can't remember if we did find anything.
    Milton, both platforms still there with the odd shopping trolley amongst the undergrowth.
    Stockton Brook, the entrance is still there on the main road simply waiting to be reopened. Pretty sure 1 if not both the platforms are there too.
    Endon, platforms with signal on the DN still there right next to the level crossing. Single track now though, the passing loop is no longer there.
    Wall Grange, station building now a house and platforms still there.

Then on the Cauldon Line:
    Bradnop, found a place that looks like where a platform once stood on the East/South side of the tunnel.
    Ipstones one platform still survives, station entrance now an access road to a farm.
    Winkhill, station building now a house and platform removed.

Not been onto the Waterhouses branch much, can't say anything about Cauldon Low Halt but at Waterhouses the old signalbox is now a cycle hire place and there is a car park there too.

4. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    Sorry, didn't proof read before sending!

Meant that it was going to be all totally rebuilt etc to the highest standard before reopening, instead of only do what is required to reopen and then have a rolling program to bring it all up the highest possible standard.

5. Neil_Scott

Railway servant
    Ah no problem, makes perfect sense now!

6. Coboman

Coboman Member

Much of the rails on the stoke leekbrook section are badly worn too, this is another reason for total replacement, and I've heard the iron faries have been a visiting too.....

7. Neil_Scott

Railway servant
    The reason I asked was that I was labouring under the misapprehension that 2000 ton freight trains were going to run over rails that hadn't seen any use for quite some time.

I saw what happened when the Stirling - Longannet line reopened to coal traffic in 2008 at first-hand. There was a short section of track through Platform 6 at Stirling that hadn't been renewed and years after through traffic had ceased going towards to Alloa the track took, and continues to take, a massive battering from the heavy coal trains pounding over it. On two separate occasions trains were reported as striking the platform as they passed through...

8. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where the new Cheadle station would be? I presume not in Cheadle? Not much decent track on the Cheadle branch IIRC, particularly towards Cresswell with various bits also stolen over the years in other parts.

9. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    Funny you should mention the missing track near to the junction but about 8 years ago, the people who lived in the railway cottages at Cresswell purchased part of the trackbed, to extend their gardens. The CVR were offered it at a nominal price and the pway gang and the civils gang spent several days dismantling the track from their land it was marshy and smelly and it ended up at the CVR. What goes round comes round don't you think? When I think of it now I can still stink it, it nearly put me off working on the gang.

10. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

I have walked lots of the sections and there are so many chairs smashed/keys missing/fishplates stolen/worn rails. Some will be worth keeping to replace the cauldon line, put in sidings at cauldon/old waterhouses branch and replace on the churnet.

wall grange station
    [​IMG]

endon station
    [​IMG]

Stockton brook station (on the road bridge above)
    [​IMG]

But underneath the bridge has had a second lining so its only single track and platforms will need to be completely built from new if there re instated. and the NSR building above is a kitchen showroom now.
    [​IMG]

Milton station
    [​IMG]

victoria road underpass.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    Did you not find Bucknall either Gav?

12. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

This is a pic from 1992
    [​IMG]
    so ill re look for this next time i head for a walk on the line.

[​IMG]

in slightly better days

13. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Now looked on google earth and the road has been re done there so has prob been completely destroyed. but now i know the location ill go digging haha

14. Coboman

Coboman Member

There will be heavy freight trains on the cauldon section, but the track has had a load of maintenance. Many, many sleepers and chairs have been replaced, sections have be reballasted, and the whole line has been tamped. Nobody is under the illusion that the line wont need loads of maintenance for a good while after the freight trains start running again. I would expect a spate of chair failures until all the duff ones have been replaced and the line settles back in.
    The absolute worst thing you can do to track is not use it. You get rust jacking and all sorts of other issues. One train a week does a world of good!
    Jim

15. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    Hi Ash, Just to let you know that I did not recieve your message but have left one for you.

On Wednesday we cleaned up all the 3 panels of the points, after being buried for 20 odd years it isn't surprising how much crud and roots had to be removed. Part of the trackbed has been scraped ready to accept the first panel, just waiting for the return of the road railer to put it in. Then the loop will be plainlined into the point, isolating the weighbridge.

16. Coboman

Coboman Member

Shame that isn't been turned into a siding. We could see if the bridge still worked too ;)

17. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

18. jtx

jtx Well-Known Member

Happily retired
    I have actually travelled from the already-closed Bucknall station in the fifties. The platform shelter on the left was still there although the main building had been demolished. The platforms were clean and tidy, as was the approach ramp, down which several hundred excited children and their parents trooped. I recall, quite vividly, that the station was prone to flooding and I have clear memories of 4Fs 8Fs and Super Ds running through the floods with the frequent coal, mineral and sand trains. I remember my grandad telling me that the crews had to close the dampers to stop the water getting to the fire. When you view the top photo, you can clearly see the dip under the road bridge, which caused the problem. The photo looks towards Abbey Hulton.

regards,

jtx

19. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    Well was I the lucky one today. While the rest of the gang were at Cauldon repositioning the points, with the help of a road railer and a nice chilly breeze. There was I, in a new Range Rover with the heater blowing up my trouser legs. Balfour Beatty were testing their new sonic rail equipment between Leek Brook and Blackbrook and required a CVR man to travel with them. After much heartsearching about leaving the rest of them in the cold I volunteered ( first). What an eyeopener, the 2 man team were very professional, I had a safety talk on our own line and had to sign that I'd had it but the most amazing part was the equipment and the software in their laptop. They explained to me how it worked, what they were looking for and then how to recheck it with a portable unit. A great day, thanks to the lads from B&B, hope the gang had a good day at Cauldon and hope it's warmer next week.

20. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    What exactly was this equipment doing/measuring?