If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Moorlands and City Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Guest, Oct 14, 2009.

1. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Ah yes we maybe "Flying along" now but like you said about Abbey Hulton to Stoke, I see there is some sort of Land slip near the road bridge.

2. Barrykap

Barrykap New Member

Retired
  3. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

4. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    A photo of the only mile post on the Stoke line between Leekbrook and Wall grange, the 6 miles refers to the distance from Milton, as the main line went through Biddulph to the Stoke - Manchester line near Congleton.

5. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

6. Barrykap

Barrykap New Member

Retired
    Seems flailing is now complete from Leekbrook to Endon Station road crossing.

Nothing has been done yet on the other (Stoke) side of the crossing.

7. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    Nice day on the p way today weather dry but cool, Autumn is definately coming. Split into 2 groups today one group took out the Zimmer frame trolley and did a line walk on the Cauldon line. The others, me included did some digging out and shuffling some ballast about. Kept us warm and tired us out but the track looked better for it. One day we will turn up and there will be no work to do, we will have done it all' Some hope!!!.

8. jtx

jtx Well-Known Member

Happily retired
    What a brilliant set of photos and beautifully set to the magnificent "Telegraph Road." It's particularly poignant to me, seeing that and contrasting it with my own memories of pristine track and many goods trains. The double track section from Milton Junction to Stoke was very busy with coal trains from the Biddulph Valley collieries, sand trains from Oakamoor and aggregate trains from Caldon Low. The section from the bridge over the Cauldon Canal to the bridge over the Leek Road at Abbey Hulton was my playground in the fifties. I am sure that the damage seen is just due to neglect; the embankment was never a problem during the twenty years or so that I knew it. It appears to be a simple washing away of ash and nothing being doen to repair it, rather than subsidence. I wish you all well in sorting it out and I look forward to travelling on the line once more.

Regards,

jtx

9. 17F

17F Guest

deleted

10. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    I gather from a friend's visit, that a silly local, one Wendy Birks, has on the 9th September, applied to the Stafford County and Staffordshire Moorlands District Council who have attached a notice to the lineside near Endon concerning her wish that the line be designated as a "Village Green" and inviting objections by - I gather - the 31st October.

The silly cow hasn't noticed that there are two rails connected by wooden thingies every few feet still in place, that rather fly in the face of her stupid and futile attempt to frustrate the scheme, and which somewhat prove that this is still legally a railway line and not a local recreation area.

Objections must be made to the Staffordshire County Council or to the Staffordshire Moorlands District Council but I can't find an internet record of the application. Perhaps those in the area could find details and let us know the details of the application and the addresses for objections, so we can respond to this stupidity

11. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    The various Councils don't own this part of the trackbed though, I thought its still part of Network Rail as a Strategic Freight Site

Lot 1015
    http://www.networkrail.co.uk/documents/5254_StrategicFreightSitesList.pdf

12. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

Whilst I was passing through Endon today, there was signs up on each side of the crossing mentioning this! Its stupid & pointless, they wont stop the railway, as said on here, its still legally a Railway, even if it's mothballed. These people annoy me!

13. Guest

Occasional
    This type of application is becoming a very fashionable way for Nimbys to delay or frustrate development ambitions. You don't have to own a piece of land to make such an application.

Perhaps if there was a cost for doing so, or a penalty for making vexatious applications this would not happen, but there is no charge, and refuting serious applications can cost thousands and take years.

Its best to try to get any application struck out as frivolous and technically flawed at the outset and this should be one such - as the land being an active, although mothballed railway line cannot ever have been used for public recreation as the actual rails along it are legal notice in themselves.

Make sure someone goes along and finds the notice - its near Endon crossing apparently - and gets it dealt with - details on here too please so we can all object to it and request its dismissal.

14. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

This is very true! You can't please everyone tho, as people saw from last year when MCR got to Cauldon Lowe. I should of got photos of the signs today about this silly thing, there on both sides, its 2 A$ sheets laminated with one showing an area map and the other some info.

15. Guest

Occasional
    What we need are any serial numbers or identifying reference on the notices, and the addresses and closing date for objections - a photo would be handy if we can get sufficient definition

16. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

This article is interesting - features said Wendy Birk when she wanted to turn it into a greenway....

Chris

17. Guest

Occasional
    Green Party - spit!

Delusional muesli eaters of the worst sort!

18. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

If it's on private land without permission.. notify the occupier to have it removed ?

19. Gwenllian2001

Gwenllian2001 Member

Retired
    Reactionary idiocy of the worst kind. Hardly calculated to win friends and influence people. The world is not black or white or even green and white. The lady in question is simply wrong and some kindly advice would go much further than 'spitting' in her face.

Meic

20. Guest

Occasional
    Stretching a point to make one there are we not?

I have not suggested that I would "spit in anyone's face" rather that I would spit out the title "Green Party" as exactly how I have described it.

If its idiotic to look ahead and not decry everything the human race has achieved I plead guilty - and would ask - what are you doing on here if you side with these people?