If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Moorlands and City Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Guest, Oct 14, 2009.

1. cjh30003

cjh30003 New Member

A photographic journey along the disused railway track between Leekbrook Junction and Stoke. Best to view full-screen at 720p; hopefully, to be reopened in the next year or so ...

[video=youtube;CepqGSrLu_A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CepqGSrLu_A[/video]

2. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Excellent work, but you posted it @ #618 a few weeks back?

3. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

Apparently there was meeting in Endon recently where the Alton Towers proposals were made clearer. It seems the plan is for trains to take 30 mins from Stoke, carrying up to 400 people at a time, charging £5 a head , with something like 7-9 trains each morning. Does anyone have any more details on the proposals?

4. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Sounds a bit too optimistic to me, given the need for the driver to change ends at leekbrook, (and that 400 people per train, would almost suggest a train not a dmu), and that the cvr section is 20mph....that would be calling for 100mph running, on a single line with no means to get the empty train in the reverse direction, would mean much more sets of stock,which would be sitting idle the rest of the day.

My guess this may be one of those mass hysteria prone locals, who seem on the verge of suggesting the MCR route will become part of HS3... From birmingham to manchester Ah now there's an idea should the MCR fail...:)

5. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    At the recent Shareholders meeting non of the above was mentioned to us. We've been told that talks are progressing but at present nothing has been agreed to. Who was this supposed meeting between?

6. Barrykap

Barrykap New Member

Retired
    On those proposals we might see a Pendolino on the line then? :)

7. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    On one forum they've been accusing MCR of lacking vision by not trying to re-open the entire CVR route from Macclesfield to Uttoxeter.

You really couldn't make it up at times!

8. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

I have not seen it, but there is a letter in the Sentinel newspaper from someone who attended the meeting in Endon. The letter apparently refers to these proposals.

9. Barrykap

Barrykap New Member

Retired
    Wow. Now THAT's what I call a real fantasy!

10. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway

On what forum is this, people with forward vision, lets open up all the lines Beeching closed, ban diesels and electrics, reopen the mines, send 10 year olds underground. I feel a headache coming on, ooooh.

11. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I think Alton towers will wash it's face in the right season, and maybe a commuter service from Leek
    but Ive got to be honest, I am not totally convinced that this freight will magically materialise.. after all where has it been the last 20 years ?

I suspect what we will end up with is a 20-30mph 2 carriage DMU service every hour or so in the main working hours to / from Leek, the odd freight once or twice a week. The rest of it will be steam on the CVR as it is now, from Leekbrook but now on to Alton Towers.

but hey I'll be glad to be told I'm short of Vision if more comes off.

12. Barrykap

Barrykap New Member

Retired
    As far as I am concerned it that lot pays it's way I am happy enough. Leaves the CVR with more space for 'outside' trips.

13. Kenneth

Kenneth New Member

Clerk of Works
    I don't know how familiar you are with the geography of North Staffordshire, ADB968008, not very, I suspect from your comments. Our connurbation exceeds half a million people, and we have a well established hinterland in the Staffordshire Moorlands. Our traffic congestion is extreme, like many other parts of the country, and local rail journeys will be very well used, if provided. Unlike London, North Staffordshire has been starved of rail connectivity, and we also have the largest town in Europe without a rail connection (Newcastle-under-Lyme). Only two of the six pottery towns are rail connected (Longton and Stoke), and there are aspirations by the MCR to connect two more (Hanley and Fenton). There are also schemes to connect the large outlying town of Cheadle. The line to Leek is alongside the extremely busy commuter corridor route of the A53 and the A5009, where ther is a large sub-urban population.
    The local Councils are all aware of the need to provide sustainable transport for those who choose to visit the stunning landscape of the Moorlands. Visitors to the area are usually very impressed, and return to visit us year after year.
    On the freight side, there is potential for at least two trains per day from the Cauldon Quarry alone, which will provide excellent roadstone, railway ballast and other products. The large blocks of stone that provided your Thames barrier were provided from Cauldon quarry, and traversed this route. There are reserves for at least 30 years at this site. There is also the giant and modern Lafarge cement works, with the potential for at least one other train per day, as well as the supply of fuel. There are other heavyside industrial manufacturers on route, including re-inforced concrete products. A re-opened line will also allow for exploitation of the still enormous excellent quality coal reserves that North Staffordshire is famous for.
    It is not the spirit of the doubters that makes Britain Great, but the spirit of the entrepreneur. I take my hat off to the MCR.

14. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

My knowledge of north Staffordshire is limited to the 3 years I lived In Stafford, visiting Staffordshire university At Leek and College road everyday and cycling just about every A road between Wolverhampton, Telford, Uttoxeter, Biddulph, Congleton every weekend... Admittedly that was before the A50 was built into a decent road... I love the scenery inside out and miss my time spent there, it's hills kept 20kg off my waist line, but my education in the region and subsequent experience leads me to stick with my original conclusion...Nice scenery, more tourism, Alton towers by rail, leek commuter.. But a Mendip Quarry style operation in Cauldon Lowe...hmmm... If it was that viable it would still be in operation,
    Now if you proposed a tram system to Biddulph from Newcastle via Hanley.. (it can be done with regular rail... Look at Harz)

I did read the lines fortunes lay with the Thames barrier's construction.

15. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

44767 is due to arrive after NYMR War Weekend so anytime after the 16th Oct, I've heard it should be at CVR by the 19th Oct '11.

16. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    Departs NYMR 18th I believe.

17. Barrykap

Barrykap New Member

Retired
    Thanks. Can't wait to see a more 'local' loco on the lines. Excellent service from the Prairie though. Hardly ever let us down.

18. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

Ah shes a good little loco is 5199! Next time i'll be seeing her will most likely be at Llangollens SSS3 next year when in BR un-lined black.

19. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

Few photos

Attached Files:

20. nigelss

nigelss Member

Is there much work required to get the line to Endon usable? Many sleepers to replace?