If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Moorlands and City Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Guest, Oct 14, 2009.

1. N.StaffsNeil

N.StaffsNeil New Member

Dont blame you.Who wouldnt? Line checked, sit back and enjoy the ride.

2. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    If you see an oldish group of men wandering aimlessly on Froghall Station tomorrow, please come and help us board the train. We are not used to posh transport and a 30 mile round trip, we might get travel sickness. We will also feel a bit vulnerable without our Hi Vis, boots, gloves and tools so come and console us with a few words of comfort.

When I read this I realised that it most likely apply to about half the people there and it could be like trying to find Where's Wally. Anyway I hope everyone going on the train in the next 2 days will have a very enjoyable ride it should blow away the cobwebs.

3. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    Well some of the gang have decided that they would be overcome with all the comfort of soft seats in the coaches and would miss all the hi vis, gear and tools, so for their penance will do a couple of lines walks instead. I think myself they have had to much Christmas pudding. I will still be riding the train, so any of the gang who have not been over indulging see you there. If not I could be on my own.

4. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm with you Jeff!

5. N.StaffsNeil

N.StaffsNeil New Member

Looks like you picked a good day for it. I wouldnt have minded doing it, if only for 33021 on the return leg.

6. Barrykap

Barrykap New Member

Retired
  7. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    Well I don't know who had the best deal on the train today. Myself and Iain riding in the nice warm coaches with a charming couple from Wales, sherry and mince pies or with the train being full, the jammy track line gang. Bob,Alan, John and Tony went all the way up to Cauldon and back to Apesford in the back cab of the 33. I did think I'd made the wrong choice until I leant out of the window to wish them Happy New Year, then realised how cold it was up there, that cheered us up no end.

8. Sheff

Here's a few snaps from the train -a bit tricky with the sun in the lens and a gale blowing the exhaust away, but hopefully they give a feel for the drama of today's assault on the bank ....

Attached Files:

9. Barrykap

Barrykap New Member

Retired
    You said it Jeff. I was stood at Blackbrook for 40 mins waiting patiently and my dog blew away twice. Had to fasten him to the fence. But worth it to see the happy faces through the windows as it went past.

10. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

Nice shots!

Here is my collection from today, after a brave outing in the wind at Bottom House & Apesford: Cauldon Lowe, 28th Dec 2011 - a set on Flickr (All taken behind the fence).

11. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    Only took the one photo today,was enjoying the scenery, sunshine and company to much, I forgot to take any more. Ah well will have to wait for the Gala now.

Attached Files:

12. cjh30003

cjh30003 New Member

Cauldon Lowe Winter Warmer; featuring 'Black 5 No. 44767 George Stephenson'. Filmed 28-Dec-2011.

[video=youtube;2emOLAOZhJ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2emOLAOZhJ8[/video]

13. Barrykap

Barrykap New Member

Retired
  14. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    For all those who missed the excellent trips last week the CVR Website says they are running up to Cauldon Lowe on Sunday 29th January. Does not give the times but I would assume that they would run the train up twice during the day. A bit of light snow would look great on the Moors make them look more desolate than normal.

15. Respite

Respite Member

Retired
    Great to hear that you are operating Cauldon Lowe trips again later this month.

Please can we have more than one window open in the ticket office at Froghall this time please?

Thanks

16. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    Yes you have a valid point there, when I was up on Saturday the weather was fine we queued up outside and we talked to a few people and it was enjoyable. Sunday would have been very different with the rain and wind. When I go up tomorrow I will ask the question for you.

17. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Is there any more news on this village green application at Endon?

18. N.StaffsNeil

N.StaffsNeil New Member

Hopefully we've heard the last of this attempt to try and derail MCR's attempt to try and bring a better and greener transportation system to the moorlands. Miss whateverhernamewas seems to have crawled back into the railside undergrowth hopefully, I hate these 'green til its in my back yard' people.

19. Sheff

Doubt it's going to be that simple. I'll post the council minutes when I get home.

20. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Thanks Sheff.

I found a couple of Council documents from November in which the pretty appalling line of "It is likely that determination will hinge at least in part on the status or otherwise of the land as a railway but this of itself is not necessarily sufficient to defeat a Village Green application and will be a matter of evaluating the evidence submitted" was stated, however I have not been able to find any definitive answer.

The very fact that trespass on the railway is a criminal offence should be sufficient to rebut any argument of 'lawful use' and thereby defeat s98 CROW 2000, but it would be reassuring to have the decision confirmed.

Hopefully this frivolous and self-indulgent application will be rightfully defeated.