If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Motor Re-winds

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by Mandator, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Mandator

Mandator Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Have just bought a H/D E3002 but armature needs a rewind. Original windings were 190 turns of 38swg but I have 37swg and am wondering if this can be used and how many turns would be optimal? Any ideas?

If necessary will use 38swg but might give the 37swg a bash. What might the disadvantages be? Assume motor might lack power and run hotter plus magnet might ultimately need re-magnetising.

Thoughts anyone?

2. Mandator

Got bored so thought in for a penny etc.
    Anyway, rewound armature with 37swg enamelled copper @ 170 turns each pole. (twas all I could fit on each pole and avoid fouling) Fiddly or what? Need good eyesight as well.
    Now done and much to my surprise runs very smoothly at 13.5 volts. Yet to test current flow. Just got to wire up the motor to the bogies and pantos.

3. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

Well done, you've more patience than I have. It will be interesting to hear how it performs under load.
    Is this a ringfield motor, or a more conventional one? I've had a problem with the ringfield motor in an HD Co-Bo, where I think the magnet has lost some of it's oomph, but possible the armature windings have suffered from overheating at some point.

Steve B

4. Mandator

Thanks Steve B
    Standard H/D Ringfield motor. Looks the same as CO-BO but armature end different. Once had a problem with a CO-BO so I bought a new Duchess armature from Wrenn and turned end down to fit the bevel gear. Worked fine after that.
    Re: the magnet. They do lose there oomph but can be re-magnetised or you might try one of those new Neo magnets being peddled on E-bay. One word of warning tho. I have heard they can overheat the windings on the armature. Whether anyone can confirm I would be interested to know.
    If the armature windings are tired, a check of the winding resistances should tell you. Each pole should be the same, give or take.
    If the windings are Kaput give re-winding a go. Didn't take that long about 2.5 hours inc. re-soldering.

5. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

Thanks - the CO-BO is a long way down the order of priorities at present, particularly as I have no where sensible to run it (it wouldn't really fit with the 0n16.5 layout!) but maybe one day.

Steve B

6. Mandator

I am now tempted to try re-winding an X04 motor. Am I being masochistic?:)

7. The Green Howards

The Green Howards Nat Pres stalwart

Layabout
    All good sound advice; the only thought I have for the overheating issue is an increased back-EMF due to the increased magnetic field? Mind you, I am sorely tempted to try some of these fancy magnets on some elderly gramophone pickups I own, some of which are now approaching ninety years old :)

8. Mandator

How would the increased back EMF manifest itself apart from possible over-heating? Tripping the controller?

9. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    When are you going to advertise your services to motors a bit bigger on the Standard gauge?;);)

10. The Green Howards

Layabout
    Depends on the controller. If it's a good old-fashioned one, the trips were simply over-current ones (think the big grey H-D controllers in metal - the noise of those tripping scared me as a kid!).

I'm only surmising and I could easily be wrong - but it would be interesting to do some serious measurements with a 'scope and a current probe on various motors.

11. The Green Howards

Layabout
    Despite everything over the years there's a motor rewind place near where my wife came from that's been there as long as I can remember - W H Shoebridge. Agents for Brook Crompton.

12. Mandator

Right. I am now getting a feeling of Deja vu. Back where I was two years ago - sort of.
    Before Christmas bought a Victory Industries Coles Crane.
    http://tonyonthemoon.co.uk/Coles-toys-victory-others.html
    1970s remote control: Consisting of a control pad with a steering wheel that controls the steering using a Bowden cable and and 6 push buttons to control 3 motors that propel the vehicle, slew the crane and wind the drum.
    Two motors are ok but the one to propel the vehicle has been crudely replaced by a Mashima can motor.
    The originals look almost identical to the Motors fitted to Lone Star Triple-0-Lectric Baby Deltic and class24. I do have a spare but the windings have overheated so it looks like I will be re-winding the poles as I would really like to restore the crane to as near original as pos.
    As I say deja vu.:)

Of course if anyone out there has a working Lone Star motor that needs a new home I know someone who would be very grateful.:D