If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MT288 Wheel diameters on same bogie

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by namron, Nov 5, 2018.

1. namron

namron New Member

The 1991 version of the above standard shows the limits for wheel diameters on one bogie for Mk1 and Mk2 coaches.( page 50).
    Issue 2 dated 1996 and available on the HRA website does not have the same table . Instead it has table 6 at the end with limits for locos and DMUs etc. I wonder why the later standard ommitted coaches?
    The reason for the post is that we have a Mk 1 coach with uncompensated brakes that has a difference in diameter between adjacent wheelsets of 18/21 mm and are reviewing what we need to do, if anything.
    Help and opinions would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I can recall seeing a chart with the dimensions on from 30 years ago at BREL York wheelshop.
    But do not have a copy and the figures are forgotten.
    One limit for wheelsets on the same bogie and a second limit for Wheelsets on different bogies on the same vehicle.

3. namron

namron New Member

Probably the same numbers on my attachment I would think

4. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    They look familiar now.

5. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    if these are on the same bogie, then you will have to change the wheel set I imagine with another that with in 1,5 mm of each other, as long as its not more than 25mm between both bogies am I reading it right that you have a bogie with wheel sets of 18mm and 21mm, if that's the case, you should measure the wheel sets of the other bogie to see if they are with in tolerences if say ones 19, and ones 26mm, then you will have to do a double bogie lift and swop wheel sets around so both bogies are less than 1.5 of each other.

6. namron

namron New Member

Hello Martin. We have already taken the decision to remove the bogie and have the wheelset turned to eliminate the difference. The wheels on the other bogie are ok so there is no need to disturb them . The only explanation I have for the difference is that before we acquired the coach a wheelset was changed for some reason without taking account of the specification. I don't think wear could account for the difference.