If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

New Build Night Owl - 4709 Begins

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Just_Sayin, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

I thought the Night Owl got a pretty good crack of the whip on tonights programme. They may even got some donations out of it.

I was also very impressed watching the wheel casting process, and that modern vertical lathe to turn the wheel castings looked a lovely bit of kit.

It will be on the iPlayer for those who missed it on a bank holiday weekend.

2. JFlambo

JFlambo New Member

3. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Having had chance to read in more detail the 47xx website, it is clear that the intention is to fit a no. 7 boiler--yet to be manufactured--because they talk about adapting the 28xx smokebox saddle to take the larger smokebox of the no.7 boiler.

I suppose from a historical viewpoint putting the 28xx no. 1 boiler on this loco as an interim measure would be in order given that one was briefly fitted to 4700 when built, but given the difference in dimensions between a no. 1 and a no. 7, it might be that you have to change frame spacers and the like, particularly at the firebox end of the frames.

4. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Was I the only one that got annoyed by the usual TV lack of attention to little things like 60 odd tons of detail? On the bikers "second visit", 2861 was delivered, then split into parts. So how come 2861 was parked next to the wheels on their first visit? Had it popped down the shops in the meantime? I appreciate any light that the TV companies throw on our movement, but it's silly little things like that that can make you realise just how contrived these things are.

5. 46118

Likewise, why can these TV productions not get round the simple fact that that we are talking about a steam "engine" or "locomotive" ? I heard the two lads use the term locomotive once I think, and "steam train" repeatedly.

On a technical issue for someone from the 47xx group, I was reading in Cook's "Swindon Steam" that the long fixed wheelbase is relieved somewhat by the rear coupled axleboxes being allowed movement via inclined planes as on the 2-8-0 tanks, will this help with what we might call "route availability", at least in terms of heritage lines?

6. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    There is an article in the latest Great Western Echo about 4709. An upturned "top hat" adaptor is being used to adapt 2861's smokebox saddle to the larger boiler. It is more or less confirmed that the new No 7 boiler will built in the UK using traditional methods, the first such boiler built here since the 60's. Funding is the main issue at the moment. There is talk about the NR height restriction of 13' 1" & as an interim measure it looks like 2861's boiler with No 7 boiler cladding will be used & meets that requirement.

7. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    First such boiler? No7 maybe but as for large mainline boilers it could well be beaten by that for the Patriot I'd have thought?

8. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Slight re-phrase, to quote. "Biggest loco boiler built in this country since the BR steam days". Was trying to remember the article off the top of my head!

9. 46118

Indeed, and looking at such dimensions as I have, the Swindon no. 7 boiler/firebox unit is larger than that of the unrebuilt Patriot. Not by much, mind you!

Thinking of what Riley's have done with a virtually new large firebox for 60103, there is surely the capability to build a large traditional riveted firebox in the UK. Finance however will be the limiting factor no doubt.

10. Fireline

Tornado.....?

11. 46118

Tornado's boiler was built in Germany, not the UK.

12. Fireline

Hence the question mark. I couldn't remember.

13. 46118

Sorry Fireline, no offence or put-down intended, just answering your question!

Regards

14. James111983

James111983 New Member

BBRail Project Engineer
    Nice little plug on LU's internal intranet about the episode. I didn't realise the lead project engineer worked for LU. Link to the website given which can only help.

15. RAB3L

RAB3L Member

This wasn't a characteristic limited to the 4700s. I have ridden at speed in a Hall cab on the mainline with everything on the backhead a blur! A similar ride on a Castle is usually much smoother!

16. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

Me too - 2859 would be No. 1 on my list. Proper freight engine, to be done in BR black as last overhauled.

17. 46118

To add something to the comments above about the riding of the 47xx's at speed, with the increased sideplay rear coupled axlebox, Cook mentions in his book "Swindon Steam 1921-1951":-
    Quote: "...they did tend to nose about a bit above 60 mph which appeared to be due to the increased sideplay provided at the trailing axleboxes on account of the length, 20ft, of the rigid wheelbase.
    The trailing axleboxes had a compound arrangement incorporating inclined planes. The box could swing over and ride up a plane of one-in-eight either way. The inclination gave resistance to the movement and acted to return the trailing end to its normal position."

Cook points out that these engines were well regarded by the traffic department, and the Running Superintendent asked for more to be built, but Collett decided instead to build more "Castles." He also mentioned that the class lasted well between shoppings, and could acheive 100,000 miles between repairs.

Hope this helps,

18. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    She wont be running over 60 though ( unless a more proportionate system is adopted Ithink 1mph per inch wheel diameter makes perfect sense....)so thats fair enough !
    Good book that.....

19. 46118

Yes Cook's book is interesting, quite technical in engineering terms at times, but shows I think that with the innovations he introduced at Swindon, such as the Zeiss optical alignment and the Horn ginding machine to name but two, you could bring an element of precision engineering to what is to outside appearances a quite big and unweildy machine, ie the steam locomotive.

Necessary reading even today I suspect for those engaged in steam locomotive repair and maintenance.

jnc likes this.
  20. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    m0rris likes this.