If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

New builds - how many will ever really work?

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Maunsell man, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Seeing as we've turned to quoting the bible, which is the only football club mentioned in the bible ?

Bob.

2. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I was being diplomatic, I am a mod.
    but your free to name the one who proposes to build them all :), I think I Reed it somewhere.

3. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    Having only just back from work I'll be short but just to clarify on the points made above:

1) Boiler length was dictated by manufacture in 1830. Three lap lengths of metal. both original and replica had/ have two safety valves. This was learnt pre L&M as it was noted that at least one safety valve should be far enough away that it could not be tampered with. A certain boiler explosion pre L&M dictated this.
    2) It runs at 100psi principally for an injector. This was a requirement of the relevant authorities. The water pump can only operate whilst Planet is in motion and so the injector is needed where you are likely to be stationary for periods of time like at a museum. Planet has worked well with the water pump on longer runs at the GCR and NYMR.
    3) is as stated.
    4) Air brakes are used. Twin air from memory. The originals usually operated on running and letting rolling resistance stop the train with help from hand brakes on carriages. Planet can only stop in reverse if going at speeds less than walking pace as beyond this the dog will not slip into reverse notch. Once this is engaged and only then is it possible to stop in reverse. I have fired Planet when this technique has been shown.

Starting away on the levers is also possible but takes a bit of skill to master.

The trials and rebuilding post 1996 also brought a greater understanding of how the originals were built and why the modifications were done. No two Planets were the same.

Best way of thinking of Planet is Rocket was the prototype Planet was the production model.

As promised I will continue this but at a more social hour.

Duncan

4. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

5. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

Just waiting for the Facebook page to appear then? ;)

6. L&NWR

L&NWR New Member

Queen of the South (Matthew 12:42 and Luke 11:31)

7. mickpop

mickpop Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    'And the Lord said -let there be a Southern L1, a Claude and a J39' - well that's probably the only way to get them built in my lifetime! Never knew he was a trainspotter though and am impressed he cleared all his Stars and I bet he got all the Saints too!:pray:

That reminds me of the story about Jesus wandering through the desert for forty days and forty nights. He hears a strange weeping coming from behind a bush and on rounding it finds a piece of machinary that appears to be from a diesel engine. 'What are you?' he asks the strange contraption. 'I'm a Voith crying in the wilderness' it replies.:behindsofa:

8. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

... and the completed loco shortly thereafter of course :D

9. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Airbus are talking about being able to use 3D printing to produce aircraft within a few decades. Once they've work out how to print iron, steel and copper it should be posible to knock up anything you fancy!

10. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    [video=youtube;HQzoxWqyPkI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQzoxWqyPkI[/video]

The replica project exert from the full project since I mentioned it earlier in the thread.

Duncan

11. 5786Dan

5786Dan New Member

Does anyone have an idea of what the next completed new build will be and when it is likely to be finished?

12. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

13. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

The G5 is favourite, I would think. Shortly followed by Beachy Head. The Patriot after that?

14. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    The Saint and Grange projects shouldn't be too far behind, nor the 2MT 84030. The G5 would still seem the most likely.

15. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Don't forget 82045. It is going to be a genuine race between them and the Patriot on who will be wheeled first.

16. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    My Dad and I visited Atlantic House last Sunday and the guys working on 32424 reckon the loco could be finished in 5 years time.

17. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    There is no race between the two locos. The 82045 team intend to complete the frame arrangement including the cylinders. The Patriot team want to put the wheels under to make the frameset mobile, with none of the cylinders in place. I know which I'd do first.

18. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Your right there is absolutely no race, we all have our different targets to hit, we have chosen to do ours with wheelsets in first for financial reasons as it opens doors to extra fundraising.

I think people see it as a race as both 82045 and 45551 have set there own target of 2017 to be in steam. But we shall see if either can do that, both have a lot to do over the next 5 years, and i personally hope they do. Then SVR can have a "New Build gala"

19. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Sorry, I did not mean to imply that there was a literal race. Nor should there be with such important engineering work. What I mean to say is that both are looking to wheel around about the same time. No kudos in wheeling first, by either, although HR and SR will probably make a big deal out of it.

20. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Really?? i always assumed they would be ready about 2015. I really cant wait to see that one when done