If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

New built replicas.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 50044 Exeter, Jan 12, 2010.

1. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

J25 anyone?

2. Yorkshire Exile

Yorkshire Exile Member

Codger and retired trustee of A1SLT
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Would be nice to see smaller locos out on the main line again. I've managed LNWR Precedent, M7 and Ivatt 2MT over the years and shorter runs such as you have suggested would be ideal for these or new builds of smaller locos.

4. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Hmm not quite the case I'm afraid, Tornado's boiler cost around £500k and if a new one were to built then reports suggest from "those in the know" say that you would actually be looking to pay around half of the £1m plus thats been quoted.

5. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

Re, cost of the boiler I got my info about this from Wikipedia, which got its info from (footnoted) issues of Steam Railway and Heritage Railway. No problem identifying the source of the error there then.
    How is it, Shoddy127, that you're pricing a new boiler at roughly the same in sterling as the first one, though the pound has slumped against the euro? A hedging deal using an existing euro bank account, a pre-order long-since placed, a big price cut by Meiningen for whatever reason (needing the work, maybe), building here using Meiningen's specs? Are you in the know?

6. 6880rules

6880rules Member

Motor Trade
    To Depart from the subject of Steam Locomotives my self and a friend of mine both in the steam preservation movement ( no pub or drugs involved ) discussed the possibility of building a replica of the Titanic..........
    A new Titanic updated where needed but on the outside and inside just like the origional with all the fitiings and trimmings of 1912
    1st voyage everyone has to be in period costume.....and follow the same route .......but get to America in one piece
    Crazy idea it may be but what a sight

7. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I believe that one option when making the film of the same name was to build a replica of the ship almost to scale. In the end I believe only sections were built. Quite something though if a life size replica was to be built! I really don't like the look of some of these modern blocks of flats that pass themselves off as ships but feel that the classic lines of the great, well, liners, look so much better. Having visited the old Queen Mary in California I think its design is really fantastic. However it was not built as a cruise ship of course and neither was Titanic.

8. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    To build a replica of 'Titanic' you would firstly have to use an all welded hull then you will not be allowed to use wood in the construction / finishings. The regs have changed a bit since 1912.

Bob.

9. 6880rules

6880rules Member

Motor Trade
    I am sure you are right knowing your background but i am sure there is way of creating the effect
    Kinghambranch is right though
    I really don't like the look of some of these modern blocks of flats that pass themselves off as ships but feel that the classic lines of the great, well, liners, look so much better. Having visited the old Queen Mary

These new Cruise ships look like office block s or package holiday hotels that just happen to float ( god knows how )

A new Titanic built on the old Harland & Wolof Slipway to modern standards ( including False Rivets ) now that is this country needs to the pride back into Britain

10. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

presumably it would have Radar as well...

11. jtx

jtx Well-Known Member

Happily retired
    Who's going to shovel all that coal?

12. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

Putting the Pride back in Britain by rebuilding the Titanic? I'd be a lot prouder if we'd been able to build the Queen Mary 2 ourselves instead of having the building done by French and the fitting-out by Germans.

13. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    MPs/bankers who have broken rules or helped cause the recession (not all of them as there will no doubt be a fair few who didn't do anything wrong but for ones that did it would be a good few weeks proper work!:shocked:).....

Rant over I'd imagine for something of that size nuclear powered. With the exception of the waste and other issues it would have a fairly low carbon footprint. probably one of few acceptable fuels allowed by the time it would be built. methane from biodegradable waste would be another.

Regards
    Duncan

14. andysleigh

andysleigh Member

15. tomparryharry

tomparryharry Member

Renewable Energy
    If money was no object, then there are a couple of missing links.....

Taff Vale class C 4-4-2t (IIRC same boiler as TVR 28). First use of this wheel arrangement in the UK.
    Taff Vale class I 4-4-0t. Nicely proportioned locomotive.

Just need a nice branch line to run them on, how about Pontypridd-Aberdare?

Need to go now, got to lie down in a darkened room.... Nurse, nurse.....!

Regards,
    Ian.

16. sto243

sto243 New Member Account Suspended

My vote is for 2 LB&SCR engines: a K1 and a D1.
    After the Atlantic mob have finished Beachy Head then a K1 2-6-0 would fit perfectly (and prototypically) onto the Bluebell, and for lighter services a Stroudley D1 0-4-2T would also be prototypical - I'm sure I read somewhere that they were regarded as his best engine at the time.

17. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Could we not (dream about) build(ing) a replica of a successful ship instead? Mauretania perhaps or maybe Empress of Britain, plenty of choices!

18. Lingus

Lingus New Member

Why not a Crosti boilered 9F? Now that would be different.

19. 60114.M.J.Allen

60114.M.J.Allen New Member

It's always interesting to see that with any topic regarding Titanic, no one knows/seems to remember that Titanic was one of the Olympic Class of Liners; of which there were 3, which was not exactly a Failure, Granted Titanic sunk on her first voyage, as we are all familiar with Titanic i'll avoid talking about her.
    By far the Largest of the three was the third and final ship Britannic, originally named Gigantic but not being completed till after Titanic sank, she was renamed Britannic, laid down November 1911 she was launched Feburary 1914 (can't remember the exact dates) due to being launched during WW1 she entered service as a Hospital ship after about two year's she struck a mine and sank.
    The most successful of the three and name bearer of the class was the Olympic launched in 1910 and commisioned in early 1911 she was built beside Titanic. on 20th september of 1911 she collided with HMS Hawke (i think i read the navy said that it was her displacement dragged the Hawke into her). after Titanic sinking Olympic re-entered docks to be refitted and comply with better saftey standards.
    During the first world war she was a troop transport and rammed and sank one submarine, and one ship during the conflict; May12th 1918 she rammed German Mittel U class U-boat 103, the U-boat was preparing to fire stern torpedo tubes before she was spotted and fired upon by Olympic's gunners, U-103 then preceeded to blow ballest tanks and crash dive before doing so the U-boat was rammed and her Port propeller shredded through U-103 aft of the conning tower. The second Ramming incident was with US Nantucket lightship LV-113 which sank with if i remember around 3/4 of the crew of LV-113 perishing in the collision.
    Olympic was decommisioned in 1935 after 24 years of service in military and civilian use.

20. 60114.M.J.Allen

60114.M.J.Allen New Member

It is also interesting to know that a Violet Jessop survived both sinkings of Titanic and Britannic and was also abord Olympic when she colided with HMS Hawke.

As for if i were a Millionaire and could build what locomotives of my choice,i'd probably have built the following; LNER P1 2-8-2,LNER J39, SR L1, SR W, SR Z, LSWR G16 and LSWR H16 and two Black 5's(i know we have enough but two more wouldn't hurt and to be specific one more Stephenson's Link motion and either a Walshaerts or a Caprotti version) and to go to the ultimate length i would have my own works on the open land to the right of the CMC building which i hear is to be converted to flats, on this land there should be sufficient land to place a turntable, a 3 road engine shed, with perhaps a few sidings to boot.

I know i don't ask for much. lol