If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NEW CLASS V/09 ATLANTIC

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by guycarr360, Apr 9, 2009.

1. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

Just came across this today. Had to do a quick date check, but evidently its also in the latest SR.

http://www.greatnorthernsteam.co.uk/ste ... /#more-294

Is it true / or a wind up???

2. GeoffS75

GeoffS75 Member

3. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

4. conireland

conireland Member

This looks fairly genuine and would be great for the railway world.

5. jimbo

jimbo New Member

Yes , saw this in SR. I think its a great idea to build a NE Atlantic, lovely looking engines. And a good idea to build more pre-grouping designs that were lost, so we can see what they were like.

6. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Odd isn't it? - post Tornado, no-one is saying " what a ridiculous idea - it can't be done!"

7. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

Nice name, though personally I feel HM The Queen Mother 1900-2002 Gawd Bless 'Er Wasn't She Wonderful? has a bit more of a ring to it.

Or you could just call it Olympic, and then a few years later build another one and call it Titanic.

/coat

8. gresleyman

gresleyman Member

Student
    I have just a small feeling it might be re named after the event!

9. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    The oddest thing is it took nigh on 18 years to get Tornado built and she still isn't fully paid for, yet these guys are intending to build a loco from scratch including fund raising in just over 3 years.
    Okay judging from their website it looks as if some of the Tornado team may be involved and they will be able to use their experience, but I for one wont be holding my breath.

10. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

You reckon it'll be built by then?

At least someone has woken up to the fact that there was life before 1948, about time and all.

11. gresleyman

gresleyman Member

Student
    Its a big ask in anyones eyes, however that said the money is there for it. The question is whether the knowledge and skill base can cope with the time frame put to them. Also bearing in mind that great Northern Steam havn't actually built or run a full sized loco before. I am sceptical as to whether it will either take shape pretty quickly or whether its just a flash in the pan.

12. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Well, I agree this is a bit of a tall order timewise but I like the idea too and, if there is a unique selling point, however tenuous, for the loco then that's all for the better. Whilst my main support is for 82045, being one of the most practical new build projects for heritage lines, I too like the idea of an Atlantic creation (The Brighton Atlantic scheme is another excellent project in my view and the team building that seem to be doing really well) and, as some have already pointed out, the "Tornado factor" is such that it's no longer just a pipe dream if you approach a project like this in the right way. Having never seen an "Atlantic" of any kind running I look forward to the Brighton Atlantic and to this one too - I hope it does get built.

13. nhthompson

nhthompson New Member

Engineer
    The estimated cost of £1.2M looks a bit optimistic considering the £3M Tornado cost and the typical £500k - £1.0M that restoration of a large loco comes in at. They want to raise £600k by selling 1000 shares @ £600, but no mention of where the other £600k will come from. Right now they seem to want expressions of support for the 1000 shares, and then go ahead when all the money is lined up. I wish them luck; certainly the choice of loco is inspired, though the name is unsuitable.

14. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I recall them saying the other 600k would come from enthusiast donations and fund-raising. I wouldn't want to donate to a project that will make others personal profit as I think if you buy shares you will receive a return.

Looking forward to the G5 though, seems most of the money for this is coming together. I don't think 2010 is a suitable target.

15. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    This is the initial press release taken directly from Great Northern Steam's website:

As you can see they are looking to raise half of the money from investors and/or loco enthusiasts - the inference is that GNS/AN Other will finance the other half. I'm sure many loco owners on this forum will also raise an eyebrow at the 10% return on investment every year (how is that even possible during overhaul periods!). There is also a confusion (or maybe it's just me!) over whether the 10% return is included in the 'share of annual revenue' or if this is separate income stream. They are listed as two distinct items on the benefits list.
    I agree that they should drop the 2012 part of the name or reconsider the name completely (possibly a good opportunity for an investor?). To me, 2012 also seems wildly optimistic as a completion date.

Keith

16. Rlangham

Rlangham Well-Known Member

Fantastic, love NER designs and will be great to see a large NER Passenger type in steam

17. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

So £600k invested will yield upwards of £60k per year return.........that loco has got to go some to earn enough to pay that and its running costs, let alone the overhaul costs when they arise.

All those references to 'Tornado' - what was the involvement of Great Northern Steam in building 'Tornado'?

18. 37422 Cardiff Canton

37422 Cardiff Canton Member

Train Guard
    A steam locomotive in my view should be a love not a business/investment plan. IF this locomotive is built (which I hope it is) I cantsee it being sold to finance the promises of 10% return on 'your' investment.

Out of all the new builds that are under contruction the only ones I can really see being finished in the next 5yrs or so are the G5 County/Saint/Grange. This Atlantic engine the Bluebell are building and the Clan? along with the one the lads at Swindon are building wont be done any time soon. If you can get 5-10 very wealthy investors together to build a engine thats the best way to do it I think. Look at 60163 18yrs? to build from sratch the G5 will be in steam in a year or so after being floated 1-2yrs ago?.

The Footballer engine that the group are building a replica and real engine will never see the light of day in my view.
    If people are going to build new engine, I think we need a batch build very much like the G5 group are saying of medium size/powerful locomotives that can be used on heritage railways up and down the land. 60163 is great for doing what it was built for 75mph+ on Network Rail but it will be wasted on a 25mph heritage line.

Good Luck lads but you'll need it.

37422 Cardiff Canton - Marc

19. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I agree 100%, if this is to be a business then they need to act like one, asking for donations is like Tesco asking for donations to make the shareholders happier

Yes I think we will see the Saint county and grange in 5 years plus the G5. Atlantic (bluebell) are aiming for 2012, they may just hit it.

They have some components but I think engine choice and the 2 engine thing will make this project be a 25 year plus

20. jimbo

jimbo New Member

Personally I cant wait to see the 'Saint' & Marsh 'Atlantic' come out, & this one would be brilliant if it ever gets off the ground. But they seem to have too much P.R. speak for me.