If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

new layout

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by tor-cyan, Mar 25, 2020.

1. tor-cyan

tor-cyan Well-Known Member

As like many I seem to have a little extra time on my hands and there is only so much digging in the allotment I can do, I have decided to build a small model railway using only the stuff I have in the house.
    So first off what scale? my modeling predominantly revolves round narrow gauge 009, 014, 016.5 and sm32/45 any standard gauge modeling is mainly O gauge. I do have a large collection of both Hornby Dublo 3 rail and early Triang, but having never built a fine scale 00 layout I've decided that's the way to go.
    somewhere in the attic I do have a couple of oo locos and waggon kits. I have a few points and plain track from an abandoned Ho US outline layout which never got beyond the planning stage.
    But before track can be laid and stock run I need some baseboards so off to garage to see what wood I have,
    I am am a sucker for a bargain and always look at the off cuts bin at the local B&Q, so found 2 bits of 12mm hardwood ply in my "may come in handy stash". Both bit had cost the princely sum of £1 each, the 25mm x 50mm softwood framing was left over from a stage set I built last year as where the screws, pva and filler. so for £2 two 1420mm x 420mm boards were built
    IMG_20200325_125640.jpg
    The cut out on the left side will form the edge of a canal/river.
    the plan is to build 2 independant layouts which can be joined together if space allows, I will need to build a smaller fiddle yard board at a latter date.
    so a bit more filler and rubbing down and a coat of paint to seal them and I can start thinking of a track plans.
    I will post more as I progress with the build

Cheers

Colin

2. tor-cyan

tor-cyan Well-Known Member

So here's the next update. so checking the base boards yesterday morning with a view to rubbing down and painting them, i noticed that one of the boards had developed a large kink at one end. This despite having selected the straightest timber and using 90 degree corner clamps to ensure everything was square. this was rectified by unscrewing and ungluing the kinked end and then reassembling it with an added diagonal brace and a couple of weights placed on top.
    As I could not finish off the boards I decided to find what rolling stock kits I had, rather more than I thought. at least 30 and there's several more boxes to check,
    so here's the first 4 I built IMG_20200327_200455.jpg a ratio LMS loco coal and an Ian Kirk LNER box van
    IMG_20200327_200517.jpg a LNER bogie bolster c\w a load made with bits from my scrap box
    IMG_20200327_200602.jpg and Finally another lms wagon with added barrel load
    The 2 GWR waggons behind are O gauge kits just needing to have metal sprung loaded buffers fitted
    The eagle eyed among you will have noticed that the bogie waggon has no marking, the kit did not come with any decals so I was hoping that
    flying scotsman123 could put his sign writing talents to good use and mark it up for me.

more to follow

Cheers

Colin

garth manor likes this.
  3. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    You called? :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    garth manor and tor-cyan like this.
  4. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    I think Alex may have enough on his hands as it is looking at that clutter, but saying that my 009 layout is covered with containers of every size containing a mixture of wiring components and car tools :oops::oops:

5. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

Very nice. I am always jealous as my complete lack of talent when it comes to model building means the layouts only ever exist in my mind. One day...

Wenlock likes this.
  6. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    What clutter? You can still see the cutting matt!

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  7. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Exactly!

I've always got far too much going on!

Anyway, those wagons look excellent @tor-cyan , those O gauge GWR opens look particularly satisfying to bring into existence.