If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

New MHR Website:

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Swan Age, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Not impressed at all with the new site, it just seems too much like a marketing tool and has lost its soul IMHO.
    Also:

No new updates on either the letters page or the locoshed page in almost two weeks. Come on Tim, get a grip and update these pages soon, its what made Tony`s site so informative.

Plus do we have to have the Watermark Logo: Made on a Mac emblazoned all over the site.

2. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

why post on here?

why not contact him direct?

3. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

4. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Well in my opinion it is not looking good is it?.
    Only Tim allows updates and he appears more concerned with Marketing.

Hmmmmmmmmm

Regards

5. Widge

Widge New Member

This and that
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Of course the Mid Hants website is a marketing tool - the railway has to market itself to survive, otherwise those all those lovely engines we've got just ain't ever going to get restored! Tony did a great job on the website for years (and we are all very grateful to him for that), but he's passed the baton, and Tim is the Marketing Manager, so guess what - he's using the Internet to do some marketing! Shock, horror.....
    The website is being substantially refurbished, and there have been some new updates today, which are definitely not aimed at the "family" market. I believe that Tim is genuinely doing his level best to strike that elusive balance and produce something that will give the casual visitor to the railway all the information they need, without alienating the armchair enthusiasts who want to know all the gory details.
    If that really isn't enough for some, you could always consider turning up at 8.30am for "morning prayers" at Ropley on a Monday, when you'll really hear what's going on, way ahead of everyone else, but you might have to do some work in return!

P.S. Wasn't the gala great?

6. chessie1

chessie1 New Member

Retired
    I originally posted this in another thread - the wrong one, so I'll repost it here.

I think the difference will be that Tony is a hands on volunteer involved in restoration and crewing the locos who used to take his camera with him. This, plus his skills as a narrator and a webmaster, gave the locoshed side of the website an intimacy and immediacy which, IMO, will be hard to replicate if it has to rely on the webmaster now having simply to pass on contributed material. The general site will remain as it always has, simply a medium to advertise events on the MHR.

7. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Yes the gala was great, but I start my work on the Railway before 7am so I am afraid that I have to miss the first hand goings on at Ropley which I am sure you will be willing to share with us on this forum?.

Must admit though I am having to eat humble pie about the website , it is looking good now and IMHO much better than before although it does not tale anything away from Tony,s 13 year contribution.

The MHR overall is looking very good at the moment.

Regards.

8. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

I've just noticed my stock list is on the website under the 'stock' link!!
    This isn't a problem as I was happy for them to do this but had no idea it had been done.
    To be honest it looks a bit messy. The fields don't line up. I have the same problem with the sample pages on my website once the document has been converted to HTML.
    I also think the abbreviations need some explaining for the casual visitor.
    I can easily knock up a current listing with some detail about the abbreviations, op - Operational, dsm - Dismantled etc. Who would I need to contact? Can you help Chris?
    Steve

9. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Yes I can Steve I will contact you off list on who to contact.

Regards
    Chris

10. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

I followed this eminently sensible advice. I congratulated him on the new look website before politely asking if he would consider re introducing the loco roster to the site. Result? Silence.

I visit railways about once a month, and so it's quite a big deal for me. I simple don't go to a railway if I haven't got a good idea what's likely to be working. So the MHR's shiny shiny "marketing tool" website keeps me away!

11. 73129

You can always phone before you make your journey to the MHR. The information office at Alresford (Tel: 01962 733810) is always well informed in what is running at the weekend.

Ps I don't understand why people keep complaining about the MHR web site. There are plenty of other railway web sites that are well below the standard of the MHR Web site.

12. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Hear hear, it is so easy to pich up a phone.

Regards

13. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

I do understand the concept of phoning a railway for info, but:
    1. Those who answer the phone tend to have better things to do than chat to some passing idiot about locomotive rostering.
    2. The whole point of this interwebnet thing is to do with the information superhighway rather than forcing us back to the golden age of telephony.

So it's extra revenue for Swanage and the Bluebell then!

14. cct man

CONSTRUCTION

If that is your choice yes, but please consider that both the net and the phone are available, and also the fact that the new website is still being built up mostly be volunteers.

Why let the interwebnet stand in the way of having a good day on the Mid-Hants?, consider this.

Regards
    Chris

15. 73129

The MHR web site is still under going big changes with new interactive items to be installed at some point in the future. I’m sure if our customers want or need a loco roster this will be added to the web site. I can’t see why this won’t happen. Please wait and see before you cry foul on the MHR web site.

16. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

I take it you are all aware that you can still follow reports from Tony Wood, on the "News Express" section of the UK Heritage Railways website?
    Two of his recent brief reports mention progress on both 31806 and 76017.

17. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

Of note on the MHR website or rather Not on it is the proposed visit of a certain Merchant Navy this week or has that been put off ??

18. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    No David, "Clan Line" is coming today for a weeks maintenance work.

Regards.

19. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

What is the reason for 35028 going to the MHR instead of back to her base?

20. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Thought is was already undergoing annual maintenance at Stewarts Lane, after its injector problems a couple of months ago. It is due back out at the end of October on the VSOE.