If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

New MHR Website:

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Swan Age, Sep 20, 2009.

1. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    I am sure I read somewhere on both Railways websites about water treatment or softener that lengthened the time between boiler washouts.

Not being an engineer I am not too clued up on this.

Regards
    Chris

2. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks Chris, for the update, most timely, i feel and most definately appreciated.

I sort of agree with some of the comments that Linesidephotos, has stated.

Most especially the fact that the updates are now very rare to the locoshed pages. These used to be updated nearly every week under Tony`s web management and sometimes twice a week if something important was happening at Ropley. The new web team need to keep on top of this IMHO.

That said however, i can apreciate that with Christmas and the early New Year bad weather. It was perhaps not easy to get to Ropley.

Also if the plans for the new shed can be made clickable for a larger view, why not the other photos?

Anyway Chris thanks once again for your updates. It helps keep this particular long standing member informed of whats going on.

One thing i sometimes have to remember is that prior to the web, our only source of info was the Mid Hants News and being published quarterly was/is out of date.

So perhaps we should be at least grateful that nowadays, we know more about whats happening across the whole railway, sooner than the Monthly steam railway rags!

3. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Hi Dave why don’t you join the MHR web team ? You take a great photo and with your experience with running your own photo pic web site you could be a big help to the web team.

4. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

Chris
    We have chatted a number of times at Medstead and I hope you realise that no comments about the mess that is the Mid Hants Web Site have been directed at you in anyway.
    You have managed to put all the various bits n bobs of the wagon group into a coherrant group and continue to build up a wonderful train of wagons that continues to grow.
    HOWEVER it would be a waste of time me contacting Colin or Tim re the web site . Colin does what Colin wants that is something I know from over the years!.
    I contribute pictures to the Good Old Boys at the Mid Hants News when ever I can and always will.Some more sent today of 850 in action.
    On the Freight side Im looking forward to seeing the freight weekend as Its likely to be one of the few times any freight will run on the MHR unless it runs at another
    Gala or is rostered on the extra Sunday Roster used by 2H 1125.
    This is a waste of your groups fine efforts but also another thing affected buy some internal politics .
    David

5. ralphchadkirk1

ralphchadkirk1 New Member Account Suspended

Right. I have said that I didn't want to contribute anymore to this thread, but as a member of the Web-Team I feel I should.

As far as errors on the previous updates. There were errors made by the person updating it, all I can say is these things sometimes happen, and all we can do is apologise for it.

You always miss 100% of the shots you never take. It may work.

As regards to the number of updates to the Loco Shed pages:
    From the archive, there were:
    1 on the 20nd September
    3 on the 22nd
    1 on the 1st October
    1 on the 7th
    2 on the 13th
    1 on the 15th
    1 on the 21st
    1 on the 27th
    1 on the 31st
    1 on the 5th November
    1 on the 10th
    1 on the 13th
    1 on the 24th
    1 on the 25th
    2 on the 30th
    1 on the 1st December
    1 on the 9th
    1 on the 15th
    1 on the 18th
    1 on the 21st
    1 on the 17th January
    2 on the 21st
    1 on the 22nd

They come more often than you would think.

If people don't like it, then by all means they can offer their support and expertise to Tim Beere. People who can't be ***** to do that, can't really complain.

6. 73129

7. 73129

Hi Ralph don’t let these people get to you. Most of them don’t have a clue about running a web site and would never contemplate starting a web site up. All they do is sit at their PCs and moan/complain.

8. ralphchadkirk1

Many thanks for your support Lee - it is much appreciated.

9. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

Not quite strictly true as prior to Thursday 21st January there had been no updates since 21st December. The 17th Jan dated update for a while appeared as the most recent as of Thursday evening, but had moved down the list by Saturday AM.

Even though the articles are dated as such a date, they were only put up on Thursday. Its like waiting for the proverbial bus, none and then four come along at once, not necessarily in their timetabled order!

However Ralph, keep up with the good work, its by no means easy i bet, trying to keep us all happy.

10. cct man

CONSTRUCTION

Seconded , in particular about the support.

I do not want to go into the whys and wherefores between Tim Beere and Tony Wood , however let us not forget that people such as Ralph stepped into the breach at very short notice totally unprepared in fact overnight. Personally I think they had done a damned fine job in a very short space of time so well done lads

Whingers and trollers take note.

Regards
    Chris

11. ralphchadkirk1

You are right, for those ones it is true, however those are the only ones where that has happened.

Thank you, and as I said to Lee, all support is very much appreciated by the whole team.

12. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

Now for something completely different. A suggestion.

How feasible would it be, to have at sometime in the future a members only area of the website. It could be used to pass on news, that is not deemed suitable for the public domain or of limited internal interest. Such things as AGM reports ect spring to mind.

Such an area could be set up i would have thought by using your membership no, password and email address to verify your log-in.

13. ralphchadkirk1

That is certainly possible.

We already have in the pipeline an area for volunteers, however I will suggest to Tim at out next meeting one for MHRPS members. I can't promise anything, but I feel that it is a good idea.

14. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A volunteers only section is something the Bodmin and Wenford have done for some years, so its certainly easily done.

15. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Is there any chance all picture updates (regardless of what section) on the site can have a thumbnail so we can view larger images?

It was asked before and at first all images were being uploaded like this, but now the majority of loco shed news bits have tiny images again that cant be made bigger making them impossible to look at in any detail. Even if the images were at 800x640 when clicked on it would help a lot.

Cheers,

16. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

My final comments on this saga.
    Some members of this forum feel castigaged and critised by me and others ,Its not the case for your efforts I know too well from
    my days at Ropley Shed you cant please everyone any of the time.
    Lets just say if Colin and Tim had handled the dealings with Tony Wood better we wouldnt be having these conversations!!!
    David

17. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Whatever has happened has happened and we cannot turn back the clock and say that with hindsight it should have been handled differently as much as we would like to.

So for the well being of the railway and the volunteers that put in so much hard work, can we move on and learn from those past mistakes whatever they are?

The bottom line is that the old regime is not coming back so I suggest we move on with the new one. After all Tony Wood had many years to perfect his art, and yes he did a damn fine job. However the old regime is NOT coming back so do lets co-operate with the new one and help them to make the website as great as it used to be. That means that YOU, (as I have done and will continue to do so), can make contributions to the web time to keep us ALL informed.

Is this not the better way?

Best regards
    Chris

18. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

Sorry Chris Just the Mid Hants News only for me ..

19. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Sorry to hear that as I know you have a lot to offer the Railway in expertise and superb photographs.

Best regards
    Chris

20. ralphchadkirk1

All the suggestions in this topic - I will put across to Tim in our next meeting.