If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NG Loco

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by 69621, Jan 11, 2010.

1. 48DL

48DL Member

Err..... A Ruston LB is a diesel and most waterworks were 2'

2. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

So - is there anyone on the thread (or a friend) with sufficient mechanical knowledge to go and see this Ruston and find out a price to buy it (if it's in reasonable nick)? How about the idea of forming an owners' group to buy and restore it? I'd certainly be interested in part-ownership.

I can't go and visit because (a) I'm no mechanic, and (b) I live some thousands of miles away across a large pond....

3. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  4. 48DL

48DL Member

Sorry Chris, brain not functioning correctly

5. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

So Chris, Ian, anyone? Anyone going to look at this Ruston? or ask its price??

{Also SM32 newbie}

6. 48DL

48DL Member

Sorry Martin but I am working the next 6 days so count me out, also I have no money to spend on loco's (of any gauge) for at least the next 3 years.

7. HY_4273

HY_4273 New Member

Editor

Meirion/Martin,

Sut mae? Ti'n golew?

It's seems those attempting to mimmic Dad's Army character Fraser are out in force - 'we're doomed, doomed' lol ;)

Anyway, on a serious note, to answer your query re there being "another falling out among the Cambrians", no there has not been a falling out - far from it! ..Or to use another Fraser-ism, 'Rubbish!' :)

If anything, the Cambrian Heritage Railways project is the most advanced it has ever been. You may care to read the Autumn 2009 news update on the CRS website at http://www.cambrianrailwayssociety.co.uk/news/news.html . You may also be interested in the press release at http://www.cambrianrailwayssociety.co.uk/pressreleases/pressreleases.html . The latter generated a fair amount of coverage across the railway press, even if it is unfortunate that one of the popular magazines did not publish it.

To summarise, members of the Cambrian Railways Society (CRS) and Cambrian Railways Trust (CRT) voted at their respective EGMs for the formation of an umbrella body called 'Cambrian Heritage Railways'. The latter has formalised something that has been going on quietly for some time - a strong working relationship. Regular passenger trains are expected to return to the middle of Oswestry this year. Volunteers have worked hard to clear the line of vegetation and rubbish, while work to restore the trackwork to operational condition has now commenced.

Things are not standing still at CHR Llynclys (Cambrian Railways Trust site) either. Physical work has also started today on the construction of a GWR-style halt at Pen y Garreg Lane, which will allow passengers to stretch their legs at the opposite end of the running line for the first time. Visitors will be able to walk down to the Montgomery canal and explore the myraid of history and nature that forms the Llanymynech Heritage Trail, with its restored section of waterway & boat trips, limekilns and tramway remains - and stunning views from the hill top.

A further indicator of the way the project is progressing can be seen in the fact that a CHR newsletter/magazine is currently in production - i.e. a joint publication :)

Far from being a sudden move, Ken Ryder has not been chairman of the CRT for coming for two years. His place was taken by Henry Thomas, a very knowledgeable down to earth gentleman who lives locally. Mr Ryder is retiring - there is nothing sinister in this matter.

While it is not necessarily my place to comment on behalf of Mr Ryder, credit where it's due, his hard work at Llynclys is there for all to see. With the greatest of respects, he is no spring chicken - to travel from Hull to the Welsh border every fortnight would take it of the best of us I'm sure.. I also understand he is to continue volunteering.

After all, while I am not implying that it is the case in this instance, it must be remembered that the matter is something that can and will inevitably always happen as far as privately owned rolling stock is concerned. It could be argued that nobody lives forever and that their financial cirucumastances will remain constant. Matters like retirement, death, family and divorce to name but four could result in such a situation arising.

On a final note, and at the risk of sounding funny, it is often human nature that one is interested in scandal/bad news yet the same cannot always be said of positive news. As a journalist by profession, I try to ensure our weekly newspages are balanced, yet the same cannot be said for my counterparts at other publications. Hey ho..

Hope this helps :)

Gareth Evans,
    Press officer, Cambrian Heritage Railways, Oswestry

8. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

Hi Gareth -
    rwy'n iawn, diolch! :)

Many thanx for the update. I did find the Oswestry rail site after posting and realized this was not a problem.
    Great news about the Trust and Society getting together - once there's a single membership I'll surely join. I did pop by a couple of sites on my summer peregrination round Wales - it all looked very promising! I think you guys are doing wonders!

To get back on Topic for this thread - any further thoughts on providing a section of 3-foot gauge track? I recall at one stage there was talk of this if a 3' gauge loco could be found. That'd be interesting!
    Pob lwc - best of luck

M.

9. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

Hi Ian -
    quite understand!
    If anyone else (Chris?) reading this wants to take this further I'd be interested in a possible part ownership deal....!

10. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Let me know

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  11. RGCorris

RGCorris Member

There's always poor old Handyman - I remember when it was parked at one of the W&L stations years ago, and it doesn't look as though it has progessed much since - anyone know the current status of its ownership and what their plans are for it ?

http://www.uklocos.com/liveloco-results.asp?action=display&id=3957

Richard

12. Thakeham5

Thakeham5 New Member

I thought Handyman is now part of the National collection? Indeed the UK locos entry suggests this.

James.

13. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

It is and we plan to cosmetically restore it and put it on display having bought it for that purpose.