If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

No.1 'Talyllyn' suffers damage

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by ellisteph12, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Andrew -
    thanks from all us NG fans to the Boston Lodge team for stepping into the breach in this case! I real case of "sefyll yn y bwlch"!!

2. sonicboom

sonicboom New Member

hello, apologies for the unexpected reply, but I'm a long time lurker rather than poster.

As a teenager, working on the engines in Pendre circa 1992, Dave Scotson and John Bate told me the only original part of no. 1 : Talyllyn which was left was the centre of one wheel, and that was only thought to be original due to the poor quality iron used in it's construction. Everything else on the engine had been replaced over time......

3. talyllyn1

talyllyn1 Member

John Bate wrote a comprehensive report in the Talyllyn News (No 116 December 1982) to coincide with the second Pendre rebuild of No 1. He recorded the following items as re-used in the 1958 Gibbons rebuild:-
    "The frame plates, wheels, side rods, connecting rods, various small components and the copper inner firebox were fit for further use..."

Although much modified with the two subsequent rebuilds since 1958 and with new sections inserted, the frames are still those that John mentions. These would not be the originals but replacements supplied to the old company by W G Bagnall . The wheel centres are all still the originals, but they have had several sets of replacement tyres. The connecting and coupling rods are also still the wrought iron originals, although those that have been irreparably damaged on the right hand side are being replaced.

Bagnall2067 and Hampshire Unit like this.