If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

North Glos Narrow Gauge Steam Up

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by BillR, Sep 23, 2016.

1. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

SATURDAY 1 OCTOBER 2016 and
    SUNDAY 2 OCTOBER 2016

End of Season Steam Up on the narrow gauge railway at Toddington, Glos, GL54 5DT.

It is hoped all available locos will be steamed , currently CHAKA, 1091 and TOURSKA (subject to the usual disclaimers).

Admission price: £5 for adults, £2 Children 5 - 15, under-fives FREE, which entitles you to ride trains as many times as you wish on the day of issue.

Trains from 10am Saturday - first may be diesel - but NOTE on Sunday, public trains will commence at or around 1pm, due to a party visit starting at 11am. ( There may be public trains between 10am and 11am on Sunday , please check nearer the time on Facebook.)

You get a mile long round trip, stopping off at California Crossing station to see the attractions listed below, before traveling on to Didbrook Loop, where the locomotive runs round the train to return you to Toddington. The whole experience takes about 25 minutes.

+ 32mm live steam garden railway in operation, a great attraction for young and old alike.

+ Visit the engine shed and working signal box at California Crossing.

Our website is http://www.toddington-narrow-gauge.co.uk/

Our facebook page

malc likes this.
  2. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Would it not be better, for an event like this (and also at GWSR galas) to just briefly stop at California Crossing to set down and pick up passengers rather than waiting there while people visit the shed etc? That way, you could run a more frequent service and anyone who wanted to visit the shed etc could join a later train. A number of times in the past, I've just wanted a quick trip on the narrow gauge between GWSR trains, but the wait at California Crossing has meant that I've just missed a GWSR service and had to wait for the next one. And, at this event in particular, anyone who wants to ride behind all three locos wouldn't be faced with three long stops at California Crossing.

3. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

The problem we have, as do many railways, is that of staffing. We have only half a dozen or so regular workers, many of whom are well into retirement, who do the maintenance as well as the running.
    It is usually the driver and guard who then show the engine shed and signal box, plus any other queries.
    Our usual complaint is that we do not stop at California Crossing long enough!
    I can however see your point of view and will pass it on.

4. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I will be there - and enjoy it as always. I appreciate the efforts of the volunteers.

5. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Ah superb, I'm rostered on the "big" trains on Saturday, so shall endeavour to make the short walk across the carpark during my break! :)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

6. jamesd

jamesd Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes I agree. On a normal day it's fine but for a gala, and specifically if you want to travel behind all the locos, you end up spending most of the day at California crossing