If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

North Norfolk Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by NNR Engineer, Apr 15, 2011.

1. NickPreston

NickPreston Member

Looking good there, but I think the one at Holt will be of more benefit as it's impossible to switch trains at a gala and get the next one back, it's a long walk round there with no foot crossing. Any ideas when this one will be installed?

paullad1984 and damianrhysmoore like this.
  2. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    More benefit to whom?
    I imagine the Sheringham one will greatly help with passenger flows and running around trains on more normal operating days.
    Since watching trains from a footbridge (especially steam) is one of the great pleasures of life, good for the NNR!

3. NickPreston

NickPreston Member

A benefit to anyone wanting to ride all the trains at a gala and not wanting to be stranded at a terminus for 30 minutes because there is simply not time to get to the other platform in time for the departure back towards Weybourne. This will no doubt not apply to normal running days, but then Weybourne bridge is a better one to look observe from, and taste the experience than the 'off platform' one at Sheringham will be.
    You have always been able to cross at Sheringham apart from the 2 minutes every now and then when one is running around. You never can at Holt even if you sprint, hence it will be a great benefit there.

4. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

I believe the Holt footbridge was due for completion in 2017.

5. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

Is there any chance of 69621, 43106 or Mayflower returning to the line on long term loan, or even being permanently based there?

6. Andy2857

Andy2857 Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Can't speak for the other two but the chances of that happening with 43106 are miniscule. The owning group have two other locos on the SVR where the pig was one of the very first locos to arrive and so is considered something of a flagship. There would be considerable displeasure from the membership if there was any suggestion that the loco might move away.

oddsocks and Hicks19862 like this.
  7. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

Didn't realise 43106 was one of the first engines on the SVR. Hope it will make a few more visits to the NNR in the future though.

8. Andy2857

Andy2857 Member

She arrived by rail, in steam, direct from Lostock Hall shed. Only 3205 and 46443 arrived on the SVR before the pig.
    I think it's appreciated that folk on the NNR are very fond of her, and she's been well looked after when she's visited previously, so I'm sure she will do so again in time.

andrewshimmin and Hicks19862 like this.
  9. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

At least with 76084 the NNR has the next best thing to a flying pig (at least until the end of this year anyway)

Would've been nice to see 43106 and 76084 double heading for a comparison of the designs.

10. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
  11. damianrhysmoore

damianrhysmoore Well-Known Member

Osteopath
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I have twice made it round the holt sprint at galas...Nealry killed me but I got a round of applause

12. NickPreston

NickPreston Member

I didn't know you were a fan of the UK steam locomotives Mr Usain Bolt, very nice to have you on board though :)

I have tried and failed on more than one occasion, sometimes not even leaving the platform that we arrived on before the departure in the opposite direction. Maybe now the foot crossing staff from Sherringham could be diverted to Holt until the bridge is built, that would solve the issue for now.

damianrhysmoore likes this.
  13. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    nick813 likes this.
  14. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

Great to see the mainline dining excursions to Cromer are happening. In the long term could there be any hope of more regular Cromer bound NNR trains? Would there be any possibility of runaround facilities at Cromer?

15. As of the moment the running of dining trains to Cromer is a massive step forward for the NNR PLc, with there only being 4 dates confirmed for 2016 thats enough to be getting on with. Cromer has very little space for a run-around and it's network rail who own the station/ land. As it stands 4MT '76084' and Class 20 227 are not owned by the NNR PLC nor are they owned by the M&GN Society so regular Cromer runs would need main line locos top & tail, which hazarded a guess that hire fees plus the NNR plc require the help of West Coast Railways to run to Comer would be a high price. I approach these runs to Cromer with caution, I have no doubt they will sell, but unlike the model of the NYMR runs to whitby which the NNR PLc have got the idea from, between Cromer & Sheringham there is a service every hour (between Middlesbrough-Whitby there are 4 trains a day in either direction). So if there is a delay between Norwich-Sheringham (signal problems, point failure) who gets priority? If a mainline loco fails or coaching stock springs a leak in the breaking system at West Runton on the way to Cromer the dining train causes a delay for network rail do the NNR plc/West Coast Railways pick up the bill?

Maybe I'm over thinking the whole thing, I should just sit back and watch it all unfold.

Anyway while I was up in Sheringham today (23rd June) A lorry with what looks like a center-piece for a turntable either that or a large Peco turntable plastic kit.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2016
    Hicks19862 likes this.
  16. So yesterday I posted about a center-piece for a turntable well another bit came. This bit was a wee bit bigger. arrived on the 24th June 2016.

Attached Files:

Hicks19862 likes this.
  17. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

Will they be able to fit the turntable in the present Holt site, or will extra land have to be acquired to install it?

18. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

Good to see the B12 is back in steam.

19. tenbeech

tenbeech New Member

CNC Turner
    Also good to see the Sheringham footbridge in use today.

20. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon