If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

North Norfolk Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by NNR Engineer, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    We choose to do these things not because they are easy but because they are difficult. Sorry Alan but I don't think anyone's got involved with railway preservation to make a cash cow out of it.

damianrhysmoore and sycamore like this.
  2. Running to Cromer is seen as a trail, I refer to my response back in June 2016:-
    As of the moment the running of dining trains to Cromer is a massive step forward for the NNR PLc, with there only being 4 dates confirmed for 2016 thats enough to be getting on with. 4MT '76084' and Class 20 227 are not owned by the NNR PLC nor are they owned by the M&GN Society so regular Cromer runs would need main line locos top & tail, which hazarded a guess that hire fees plus the NNR plc require the help of West Coast Railways to run to Comer would be a high price. I approach these runs to Cromer with caution, I have no doubt they will sell, but unlike the model of the NYMR runs to whitby which the NNR PLc have got the idea from, between Cromer & Sheringham there is a service every hour (between Middlesbrough-Whitby there are 4 trains in either direction). So if there is a delay between Norwich-Sheringham (signal problems, point failure) who gets priority? The dining train causes a delay for network rail/ Greater anglia do the NNR plc/West Coast Railways pick up the bill?

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/north_norfolk_railway_on_track_for_another_record_year_1_4645573
    The link I've given. Gives some idea on where the NNR PLc stand with passengers numbers, doing a platform turn at Holt today (5/08/2016) seeing the passengers enjoying themselves and spending.

I feel running to Cromer is a good test, could I see the same thing in 2017 I just don't know. In the back of my mind when the NNR held their spring gala 2014 and A4 Sir Nigel Gresley was ment to come over the level crossing, network rail said weight restrictions and pooed pooed the gala some what. Do those restrictions still stand? Having the likes of a 'B1' or 'K1' or 4MT would fit the bill, however completely respecting private owners and shareholders alike, one has to tread carefully to make sure that everyone involved with a massive undertaking like running to Cromer can work and everyone is happy. I'm sure everything will be fine, as along as I can get a half decent shot from the line side or from a safe distance. 2 shots, more or less in the same spot just played around with the camera settings abit. You'll see these 2 pictures uploaded to the M&GN Society twitter account in due course.

All the best.

Attached Files:

3. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  4. So the day as come for 76084 to go mainline!

Got to Cromer station and one could hear the class 20 humming away. At the other end the pride and joy, something a little different.

Attached Files:

5. damianrhysmoore

damianrhysmoore Well-Known Member

Osteopath
    Congratulations NNR

6. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

7. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
  8. sycamore

sycamore Member

Guard & Signalman (E&BAR) / Driver (HVMR)
    Embsay or Bolton Abbey, sometimes in between...
    Anyone know the current operational procedure for Sherringham Level Crossing, and is it still limited use, hence only Dining train only etc...?

Edit: Found answer (unless it has changed???!!!) - http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/steam_dining_trains_set_to_take_the_main_line_to_cromer_1_4191320

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  9. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

Pleasantly surprised that level crossing events still bring in large crowds of spectators. I thought that after a few years they might just be seen as common place.

I have vague memories of reading somewhere that in the early days of the NNR there was talk of BR closing the Cromer to Sheringham section of line, and that the NNR would take it over.

I cant see them stopping Network Rail services on the Cromer to Sheringham section, trains always seem fairly full so must be a decent enough moneymaker for the rail bosses.

10. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

How is it looking for the WD? Still hope for a 2016 return?

11. SteveA

SteveA Member

Retired
    Hicks19862 likes this.
  12. glenng

glenng New Member

Went to the North Norfolk Railway yesterday morning and the Sheringham Little Theatre were on Weybourne station promoting There new show the Railway Children.

P8130055.jpg

P8130063.jpg

Jointline likes this.
  13. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    A special C&W Blog update this week heralding the completion of the third Suburban carriage and also charting the debut of the dining train onto Network Rail metals!

C&W Blog - Completion Special E48001

Jointline likes this.
  14. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

So, back on to the topic of the NNR....

Jointline and paullad1984 like this.
  15. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

It's good to see a long held wish if the NNR fulfilled AND see 76084 stretching her legs on NR metals

Jointline and Hicks19862 like this.
  16. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

Maybe next year the B12 will make it to Cromer.

Jointline likes this.
  17. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Last comment on this. You suggested compiling a database of suppliers. My point is that it is only possible to compile a database of suppliers if they exist, and most of those of us "at the coal face" can either find out by ringing round our contacts or putting out a query on one of the various forums such as this one so I don't really see that it's going to be of that much extra use. By all means go ahead and do it if you think it is, though.

18. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    The HRA already have a database of non-existent suppliers and that is the problem. It was complied a good number of years ago and most of them no longer exist. it has been an impossible task to keep it up to date simply because the various heritage railways do talk to each other very regularly and aren't interested in having a central database. If I'm looking for a supplier of something, I prefer to talk to someone and get first-hand feedback on service, etc. There are some suppliers who you would be best to avoid but you aren't going to find that sort of info written down anywhere.

19. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

I agree a central database would tend to get out of date very quickly, but the gentleman concerned may have done me a service, thank you. So, the pattern for an austerity injector exists. Well well, very interesting. If those responsible read this then I would be very glad to hear from them if they ever lay down a batch. Not an immediate priority but definitely something I would like to have on the shelf one day for Bagnall 2746: see industrial updates.

Tim

20. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Aren't Austerity injectors originally of G & C manufacture and doesn't Barry Gambles hold all the various patterns & drawings for such things?