If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

North Norfolk Railway Steam Gala: 9th & 10th October (was 27-29th August)

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by WesternRegionHampshireman, Jul 2, 2022.

1. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    A couple of pictures from yesterday, 90775 on the goods train and 564 on the vintage set. Beautiful weather and plenty of people in attendance, hope the members and shareholders enjoyed the weekend.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. misspentyouth62

misspentyouth62 Well-Known Member

Once again I thoroughly enjoyed a great day out yesterday to the NNR in superb sunshine. I'm always left feeling how well this relatively short railway does in running so many trains with only three stations! The vintage set is a sight to behold in my opinion.
    A big thank you as well to the Alastair for his shed tour, something I very much appreciated being able to see behind the scenes projects.

Spitfire likes this.
  3. Britfoamer

Britfoamer Well-Known Member

Chemist (semi-retired)
    Rubbish drive down Friday with the traffic and rain, was completely transformed Saturday and Sunday, wonderful weather, but making it challenging for the shots, against the light. Rode on both mornings until early afternoon, then walked around. Great time, trains very well filled Saturday, comfortable on Sunday. First time we have been here, date always clashes with other things, look forward to a return bash. Some shots from both days:
    P1150383.JPG P1150391.JPG P1150396.JPG P1150405.JPG P1150408.JPG P1150414.JPG P1150417.JPG P1150421.JPG P1150430.JPG P1150433.JPG

horace, Mick45305, green five and 6 others like this.
  4. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Love the phots of the 31 there Harold, looks right at home with the Subs

5. Britfoamer

Chemist (semi-retired)
    Thanks Matt, a good re-creation of the Eastern outer sub-urban scene of the the 1960/70's. When the loco/stock mix changed in the afternoon the S&D on the B+C Mk1's was again a re-creation of a scene from the 1950's much further West.
    If they have a Spring Gala we hope it's a free weekend for us, the 5 hour drive takes some enthusiastic dedication, especially when the A1 road is involved!!

6. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    Had an interesting chat with my Dad this summer, during a drive along the Valley, between Bridgnorth and Bewdley he asked me which one I preferred more? After weighing up the pro’s and cons of both, I had to say ‘Sorry Dad I really much prefer Sheringham’ ;)
    I really love the North Norfolk, it really is the most beautiful of railways. Its a little like the KWVR it’s not the biggest, but it seems to pack in a fair old bit for the size of it.

Hicks19862 and Spitfire like this.
  7. Britfoamer

Chemist (semi-retired)
    My wife and I had a not dissimilar conversation while gadding up and down from Sheringham and Hope, 5.5 miles according to the souvenir guide book (packed full of good information - seriously!).
    Having visited several lines this autumn and two more to go for galas, we were debating the advantages/disadvantages of the lengths of the lines, and in particular to the proximity of customer base. I doubt many had travelled as far as we did in comparison to the locals. This line ticks lots of boxes for the latter, particularly the mild or non-enthusiast. A 5 mile blast there and back ticks the box for a morning or afternoon out with a bite to eat and a look at the engines being changed around frequently, for not a lot of money.
    Contrast this to a long line taking most of the day to complete a trip and charging a lot of cash. Thinking here of the WSR, NYMR, SVR, WHR/FR. Some of these are now offering shorter and cheaper 'experiences' on the railway in an attempt to entice punters to travel.
    I make no argument either way for long or short, other than we thoroughly enjoyed the experience at the NNR, as we did at the IoW and Swanage last month, both a similar shorter experience.
    I think this was bourn out on Saturday with the volume of travelling public, most of who we rubbed knees with were non-enthusiasts having a great day out (especially the young Downes syndrome boy who my wife decided to adopt for one journey showing him all the features in his guide as we passed them!). Although did we have a great conversation with a local enthusiast and his wife, retired to the coast, who told me about the Kings Cross and Liverpool Street commuter trains in detail with some knowledge. I didn't know that Liverpool Street articulated coach sets were 4 car, and the Kings Cross ones were 5 car (according to this gent).

Spitfire likes this.
  8. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

Wrong way round!

9. Britfoamer

Chemist (semi-retired)
    LOL - Doesn't surprise me, I think we are both well past our best by dates :D !

10. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?

Nice to know you and the good lady had a good time, as I say really love the North Norfolk, I just find it the most welcoming place. My boss has always said he finds Sheringham and Cromer a lot more welcoming than Southwold.
    I have to say emailing or ringing up the booking office at Sheringham to find out if certain locos are working on certain days must be pretty tiresome for the staff who’ve had to deal with me in the past, but they’ve been bloody brilliant.
    (A certain Railway in the lakes could do with taking note when being asked about 2 certain tank engines)
    The Missus and I really need to have a day out there again sometime soon! :)

Spitfire and Hicks19862 like this.
  11. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

Personally I’ve never found the length of the NNR to be a problem. If I’m with wife and kids it’s a nice trip up and down the line, long enough to be fun but doesn’t get boring for them. If I’m on my own I do two or three round trips,

Spitfire, Matt37401 and Britfoamer like this.
  12. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    For some time, the North Norfolk has been one line at the top of the list of heritage railways I haven't yet visited but want to. Seeing the photos of the recent gala has underlined my enthusiasm to go there at some point - hopefully before too long - (thanks, guys) and comments like this only reinforce that determination. About three years ago Hastings Diesels Ltd ran Unit 1001 all the way to Sheringham and I could have joined this train at Etchingham - less than 10 miles from my home. Unfortunately, I only found out about this train two days before it ran and simply couldn't reorganise my schedule in time to travel on it, to my great disappointment.

Mind you, if the next gala features any visiting loco with a five-digit number beginning with "3" that would truly be the icing on the cake and I may not have the will power to delay a visit any longer, even if it means several changes of train or driving all the way!

13. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    Just go John, it really is a an absolutely lovely railway in a cracking part of the world.

14. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I'd drive. As @Matt37401 says, it's a great line in a wonderful part of the world, and the car will give you options for what isn't the easiest set of connections.

15. Britfoamer

Chemist (semi-retired)
    For a flat part of the Country the gradient profile is impressive, 1 in 97 off the platform end at Sheringham, stiffening to 1 in 80 up through Weybourne and onto the top of Kelling Heath. The acoustics through the trees has to be heard to be believed. For us prize for the weekend went to 90775 on the goods Sunday afternoon, viewed from Sheringham park, the noise was fantastic and a great view with the sea in the back ground.

Spitfire, green five and Matt37401 like this.
  16. misspentyouth62

misspentyouth62 Well-Known Member

There are key components from three locomotives that fit this criteria, one Drummond, the other two Bulleid - all inside Weybourne shed if you're able to tie in a shed tour. :)

Hicks19862 likes this.
  17. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

The NNR is definitely a real credit to all those who have put in the work (and money) at the moment. Great variety of well turned out steam and diesel locos, not to mention the rolling stock for them to haul. The vintage set, Mark 1 Subs and quad arts all on one railway! I'm lucky not to be too far away at the moment, though it is still a two hour trip from North Essex.

18. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    It’s out of the way nature does keep the Riff Raff away though David ;)

Hicks19862 likes this.