If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

North Norfolk Steam Gala September

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by dace83, Jun 29, 2010.

1. jimmyvonk

jimmyvonk New Member

Pencil shortner in an office.
    Visited on Saturday and had a fantastic day, well done to all involved.
    Loco's looked fantastic and the quad-art made me feel very underdressed - should have had a bowler hat on. :)
    Was my first visit to the NNR and very impressed with the setup, lovely scenery to run through and superb fish'n'chips in Sheringham. :)

2. NNR.76079

NNR.76079 New Member

Student
    As has been said well done to Mel & co on fixing 44767 in time for gala, i didnt belive it was running until i was stood on Sheringham foot crossing, having shut the gates for it to pull into the station. I was also part of the team from the NNR that was at the crossing at 00:20 when 30777 'Sir Lamiel' arrived.

I still think i'm mad for doing that, as i was on Sheringham Platform duty at 08:00 the same day :S

Spent Saturday & today linesiding, getting brilliant photos. :D

roll on next years gala's!!

3. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just returned back up to Leeds after 3 magnificent days, we've visited a lot of events this year at a lot of railways and this has to be one of the most impressive in my opinion. You could clearly see over the weekend just how much hard work had been put into the Prep of that gala and it most certainly showed!

I thought it was great just how friendly all the staff were; even when the trains were pulling up at danger pegs the fireman would be hanging out asking if we were ok? Getting some good stuff? The station staff were most helpful and volunteers were quite appreciative that we'd put a fire out today after 'Ring Haw'.

It has to be said and applauded that the 'Black 5' was made available for Friday and that the N15 was put back into service as quickly as it was yesterday.

I'm really looking forward to March already, I'm sure it'll be just as good as you never fail to disappoint!

Keep up the great work. Simon

4. NNR.76079

NNR.76079 New Member

Student
    i know that Mark Middleton (who done the timetables and much more), Steven Aishling (organised 30777) & everyone else involved put in alot of hard work. when i saw that we would be having the N2 again i thought to myself 'oh no, not again, that's the 3rd time in a year', but even that was brilliant as before.

With regards to the fire may i, on behalf of the NNR, thank you for that, 'Ring Haw' was working very hard today. So hard in fact the loco's crew wrote 'Sir Nigel Gresley' on the smokebox side.

we're already planning for March & what we will offer, nothing has been mentioned yet, but it will be as good as this weekend's and other before it.

Josh

5. steamingyorkshire

Lecturer
    Thanks Josh, the amount of 'behind the scenes' work could be seen a mile off. A very big thanks has to go to them and all the volunteers that made the weekend happen. Yes I was little 'hmm' about its visit but it did turn out to be part of one of the best shots of the weekend.

She sure was, got a cracker of a shot of it coming up Kelling Heath cutting, I'm going to upload it with a couple of others later on... However consequently I missed 30777 because I was expecting something coming downhill whilst putting the fire out. Never mind, 'Ring Haw' made up for it.

Can't wait, should be another cracker.

6. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

Just got home, what a cracking Gala. I was there Sat & Sun and it was one of the best I have been to in recent years. Congratulations to all, particularly whoever did the timetable as it looked one of the most complex ones I have seen. As a casual observer it seemed like a textbook method as to how to run an intensive Gala by always having at both ends of the line a spare loco ready & waiting to attach for the return journey rather than await the incoming loco to change ends via the headshunt and loop. As a consequence it seemed like something was always happening in the middle at Weybourne. I was also pleased to see the number of freight journeys that were run.

It was great to see the number of youngsters on the footplate as well.

Did anyone get any night shots for the trains that the ran after dark ?

7. steamingyorkshire

Lecturer
  8. alisdairanderson

alisdairanderson New Member

9. billr2e

billr2e New Member

10. BR 73082

BR 73082 Member

Quick note to add my thanks to all at the NNR for a superb gala. My first visit there and I was very impressed! Well done for getting 30777 back running on Saturday and allowing it to complete its diagrams. I'm sure this pleased a great many people there. Also, a thanks must go to the guys running the vintage bus services. Allowed me to get to the gala much earlier than anticipated and enjoy all the railway had to offer!

11. thegrimeater

thegrimeater Member

Admin
    Ian, Ian and Mel (plus loads of others) did an amazing job, having been there on Monday and being told it wouldn't be ready and returning thursday (when it was still in bits) I really admire them. I was in the yard all day Thursday lending a hand cleaning the black 5, 9F etc. It was towed out of the shed with Mel still in the smokebox to be steam tested.

I mucked up putting that on here. I was working on the loco while it was being repaired and was told when it was going to be repaired by Mel. If it put anyone off going then I am very sorry. A number pf people approached me at the railway and told me it was a stupid thing to do.

On a lighter note I had an amazing 3 days on the footplate (the 3:45am starts did hurt a bit). I was on Ring Haw yesterday morning. Matt and Owen were driver and fireman and put on a great show!

12. NNR.76079

NNR.76079 New Member

Student
    I had tried with 92212 on the dining train and because it was due to go out at 19:30 i thought there would be enough light for it to work, but as it went out late, 20:00, everything reflected intstead :(

13. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Was a good gala but there was a bit of a downside sadly. The diner was clearly advertised as having accommodation for gala passengers on the website which it did, but the guard knew nothing about this, the guide book advertised it more as a normal service than a diner too. Wasn't a problem but it did involve other passengers explaining to the guard why they were sitting there.

This service was running considerably late having to wait for the last gala train to come in. It had no toilets for the non diners with the only toilets being between the dining coaches. With the train running considerably late i didn't really know how much time i would have to make a dash for the toilets just outside of sheringham station. So i thought i'd get off the train then get back on to use the facilities without walking through the train of diners.

As i was about to walk on a female server asks in quite a rude tone 'are you a diner sir?' I of course said no but said i was travelling on the train, her response was 'then i suggest you go away, and you most certainly do not use the toilets when the train is in the station'. I just walked away and dashed for the non NNR toilets, luckily i had about 5 minutes.

I was disappointed with the rudeness of said staff member and i would advise in future if the NNR are going to bother offering added seating for non diners, they should offer the appropriate facilities for everyone, or at least not lock up the station toilets at Holt.

14. dman-lewis

dman-lewis Member

Trainee CAD Draftsman
    I did hear many people looking for the toilets at sheringham, I did also see a mother covering her child as he pee'd in the flowers. (dont go near the flowers at sheringham near to where the staff entrance is on platform 1.

15. davesrailwayphotos

davesrailwayphotos Member

Semi-Professional Musician
    Had a great three days. As said before, top marks to mark for the timetable, and the slightly sadistic pleasures of watching various linesiders trying to fathom out where the next train was coming from! Also to the extensive body of people who worked on the Black Five to get her out in time, and the unsung efforts of the 'night crew'

A few photos for you. More on http://www.dave-ballard.co.uk/2010.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

db

16. NNR.76079

NNR.76079 New Member

Student
    Hi Kieran, I'm very sorry to hear about your situation, i will send a copy of this to the relevant people at the NNR. I was on the lineside at the time it went out (just by the dead diesel shunter).

The reason the Holt Toilets were locked is that only the station master & 1 other person has the key to them and for obvious reason's both would have signed off by then.

However any comments about the gala will be taken in.

Josh

17. Easterner

Easterner New Member

I'd Just like to echo everyone else and say my thanks to the organisers, The best Gala I've been to yet, and as others have said the North Norfolk Railway seems to find something new to interest everyone every time I visit.

The Gronk looked rather nice, recently finished in green, Used as the Station Pilot on Friday. I'd also Like to thank the crew of the Black 5 who allowed me to venture onto the footplate at Sheringham and also the guy running the Gronk as I had a nice look around the cab of that to.

Was a Shame to hear someone thought that a Shunter could haul a 9f and N2 resulting in a shredded Piston, Someone will have there work cut out again, however after seeing how quickly they turned around the Black 5 and N15 I'm sure it won't be to much of a problem for them, However one they could of done with out.

I am now even more interested in becoming a Volunteer after this week-end, Something I had previously looked into but due to other commitments couldn't unfortunately, but now with slightly more time on my hands I'd like to learn some of the tricks in the trade and give my hand to help the Railway :)

18. zep108

zep108 Member

logistics
    Re: North Norfolm Steam Gala September

hello
    what a brilliant gala thanks to everyone who made it happen i have some pictures at
    www.stephen-bottrill.fotopic.net
    thanks again see you next time

19. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    Had a great time on Sunday, popped in as 'I was in the area' having been to Duxford the day before (although sorry it was never going to live up to a diamond 16 of Spitfires!)

Found everyone very friendly and helpful. One thought we did have was, as travelling with a wheelchair user, it would have been handy if the timetable made it clear which trains had wheelchair accomodation, as 50% didn't! Also is it just current interpretation of elf and saftey that seems to preclude putting wheelchair users in the van unless it's been adapted? We've been doing it for over 20 years! Having travelled in many cage fitted mk1s, Churchwards etc and even the guards section on the IoW Victorian set before the wheelchair coach, it does feel like the guard just not wanting to share their space on older rakes! (fair enough the BG on the diner).

Also bravo to the prat photting all day in Weybourne yard with his hi vis, I'm sure there were plenty of places you could get exactly the same shots without standing in eveyone else's shots!

14F was a great bit of overkill for 4 coaches but that's what galas are about, I hope it was a success for the railway, it certainly appeared to be.

20. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

Well the toilet problem should be solved in the next few years with the second building at Sheringham, anyone know how the planning application went?