If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NORTH WALES COAST EXPRESS 2012

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Britfoamer, Jul 12, 2012.

1. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Looks like it carries a lump on the back all day too.

How does one go about finding special offers for these, I seem to have dropped from the mailing list on this one.

2. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

I get emailed the odd one, they have my email address from online booking. Aside from that I don't think there is any other way of getting them!

As far as the box is concerned, Kevin Melia posted that it is now common practice along the North Wales coast to aid with shunting at Holyhead as well as the reversal at llandudno. But with the A4 at the head I doubt there will be any further involvement. May have been different with the Black 5 coming out of Holyhead.

3. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Last Sunday night at Cheadle Hulme the box was most certainly "involved" Well above tickover horsepower was being generated, and you could taste it.

4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    At that time of the day Frank, passengers want to get home on time, and if the diesel give a push to get up to speed that bit quicker, no one on board is going to complain or from experience really cares.

5. brasso1

brasso1 New Member

I dont want to upset the applecart so dont take this the wrong way, but I don't think you would have put up such a strong defence to the anti-box comment if it was anybody other than TBird commenting...

6. Guest

Occasional
    Water off a duck's back Brasso.

Just another case of mis-selling

7. RalphW

Brasso, I speak from the experience of talking to passengers during these rail tours as a steward, and I can assure you that at 22.50 they are not concerned with a diesel giving a shove, mis-selling or not, in fact the vast majority couldn't care less. Frank only speaks from his point of view, irrespective of the reality of the situation.

8. Guest

Occasional
    Actually Ralph - I speak from quite a number of people's point of view - those who don't want what they didn't buy, and have largely given up railtouring as a result.

As we discussed on site together, the other day, the activity is becoming less and less the province of those with any discretion, and just a means to a day out for those who will buy any old product provided it takes them out and brings them home again, and as you said - seem happy to sit on a station platform with their zimmer frames and mobility scooters until home time, because that is all they are up to doing.

I have not yet degenerated to that condition and don't intend to for some time yet - so am very happy to distance myself from such an outlook.

9. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

A lot depends on the conversation that the steam driver first has with the diesel driver as to what happens when. Example: On the climb out of Weymouth with Clan Line, 11 on and a Class 66 as banking engine, The DBS driver made it clear exactly when he wanted help, the threshold speed and what power was needed. Can't say that this is the norm though.

10. CrisPDuk

CrisPDuk New Member

Last Sunday's trip was by RTC rather than UKSteam so I guess therein lies the difference.

I fully agree with you that it is more about the journey than the destination, and the North Wales Coast is a great line, my GPS showed us nearly touching 80mph on several stretches, but you can't help thinking Holyhead really is one of the lows. One struggles to even find an open pub on a Sunday! We finally found an open 'Bistro' on the promenade, and all the owner did was complain about he number of customers turning up!

11. CrisPDuk

CrisPDuk New Member

We were second coach from the back on the way back, and you could definitely feel the banking effect of the 47 on several restarts, Piccadilly and Cheadle Hulme especially, but you could also clearly hear it backing down to almost idle once we were on the go.

I had a chat with the driver of the 47 before the return, and he told me that they have to take a shunting loco with them as there is no longer a station pilot at Holyhead. Otherwise the steam loco has to work it's own ECS.

Obviously we were two from the front on the way out, and from there, you could distinctly hear 60009 breaking traction at pretty much every station start. It does make one wonder how on earth A3s and A4s coped in their heyday pulling out of Kings Cross with the far heavier trains of the time! Definitely with a masterful touch on the regulator I think :)

12. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

13. RalphW

My offering from today.

[youtube]phuehCyB18A&hd=1[/youtube]

14. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

Good for the circumstances.

15. 30910

30910 Member

Retired
  16. john34077

john34077 New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer

17. acorb

Well, what a splendid day out yesterday! Just shy of 180 miles of A4 haulage, in glorious weather which showed the North Wales coast off to it's full glory. The 9 carriages plus support were close to full, with plenty of families enjoying a day out. Number 9 wasn't really pushed, the outward path to Llandudno particularly annoying as we were routed behind an all stations local. We were close to 10 down by Rhyl before we got a green after being down to 20mph in places. However, Union soon swept into her stride with 76mph attained before Colwyn Bay and the defecit halved by Llandudno Jnc. Onto Anglesey, and the driver let the loco find it's own speed running into dips, with it dropping away up the grades. The schedule being a bit slack to allow for the 60mph Black 5. At no time was their any assistance from the diesel, which for interest was former Royal 47798 on tick over all day.
    On the return, there was a delay with Union of South Africa having difficulty in coupling back up to it's support coach. This cost us 7 mins, but a very purposeful acceleration out of Holyhead and some fast running soon saw this reduced. Listening to the crisp, even exhaust as she effortless accelerated up to 70mph will stay for me for a long time. Be in no doubt number 9 has has a full Rolls Royce job at Crewe and is in very fine nick. Definite contender for next year's Mallard celebration run?! After a trip up the branch to Llandudno, the return to Chester was breathtaking, with a good 20 odd miles of maximum speed running before the driver let speed die down to prevent a very early arrival back in Chester, which was still 7 early.
    Given some of the stick RTC have received on hear, I can give nothing but praise once again for this run, which was a bargain especially given the discount offered. Glorious weather, a loco in fine nick and some exciting running when given the opportunity, combined with chatty, pleasant stewards made for an enjoyable day by all. Even the rolling stock was decent with some SRPS coaches included! I look forward to travelling with them again.

18. acorb

Incidently, the trip down the Llandudno branch was very much in doubt until the beginning of last week. Negotiations have meant that 10 coach trains are now allowed on the branch, which has meant RTC have had to reduce their train length by one coach. 9 plus support therefore was the maximum allowed on this trip. This info is according to one of the RTC stewards.

19. JLTCorporation

JLTCorporation New Member

Union of South Africa - 29/07/2012 - In 3D (Also includes some footage from her last movement in 2009)

[video=youtube;kf135UziZ3E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf135UziZ3E[/video]

20. 8A Rail

8A Rail Member