If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NP Loco of the year

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by david1984, Dec 12, 2008.

1. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    You're lucky it only went pop. From what I've heard a lot of them went bang in a very frightening fashion.

2. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

1. Got to be Cromwell, my favourite engine.
    2. Scots Guardsman
    3. Not sure but I would say but 69621 for looking great with the quads
    4. Tornado, its got everyone saying WOW

5. Mainline tour of the year, The Norfolkman (first one) . I didnt go on it but it looked and sounded a Fantastic trip.

3. Rander

Rander New Member

Surely an honourable mention must go to the R&ER's River Esk, which worked 99 consecutive days through the summer without failure, clocking up 3990 fault-free miles between June 20 and September 27. This was only broken in order to conduct routine maintenance when the summer season had ended and the locomotive has returned to action once more and is in steam nearly every day at the minute.

http://cumbria.fotopic.net/p53831609.html

4. richard_3672

richard_3672 Member

student
    So yes NP loco of the year ey? What do we all think? :smt005

5. industrial fetish

industrial fetish Member

School
    Back onto the point of this topic...loco's of the year, what do people have to suggest?

6. David Ward

David Ward Well-Known Member

Driver- Northern Rail at Liverpool Lime St
    To get things a bit more back on topic I'd like to put 9017 Earl of Berkeley up for preserved line loco of the year- now in fine fettle after some work at SVR, looked superb on our line and sure did attract a lot of attention in such an appropriate setting. I'm sure it'll be equally popular next year in black at Llangollen........

7. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Well-Known Member

Student with 2 part time jobs, Windsurfing coach a
    1. 45407...Need I say more?
    2. 70013 though its close with Scots Guardsman for me
    3. Preserved loco...tough one but my favourite this year has to be the Bluebells U. Always seems to be running when I'm there.

Ross

Edited out the MHR stuff which now makes no sense!

8. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    1.60007 Sir Nigel Gresley
    2.4771 Green Arrow
    3.60163 Tornado

Cheers,
    Mark

9. littlenobby

littlenobby Well-Known Member

student (6th form) Part time job at the Co-op!
    Preserved line loco: 45110, Went out of service in August, but ran with no fuss up until then, cracking piece of kit right up until the end!

Mainline loco: 4965 Rood Ashton Hall, The Tyseley gang have really showed everyone else how it should be done with this one, yet another loco that ran pretty much perfectly right up to the end! Not many groups an host a mainline loco with 10 years of impeccable running under its belt, good work guys!

Mainline run: Not sure on this one, not been on or seen many mainline runs this year!

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Nunlow and Sir Berkeley for saving the KWVR Gala !

11. Diamond Gaz

Diamond Gaz Well-Known Member

Have removed all posts which don't relate to the topic in question, I.e Loco of the Year.

12. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

1 Main line all round performer for the whole year. - 45407 Fort William to Faversham and most places inbetween without any trouble.

2 Main line newcomer. - 46115, looking stunning

3 Preserved line. - 7812 bringing a bit of noise to the Valley

4 Special Award for achievement. - 4965, 10 years of mainline operating perfection.

13. David Ward

David Ward Well-Known Member

Driver- Northern Rail at Liverpool Lime St
    I'd have voted that if it hadn't failed the day before I should have had it!

Sour grapes I know!!

14. CVR 4771

CVR 4771 New Member

1 Main line all round peformer - 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley

2 Main Line Newcomer - 70013 Oliver Cromwell

3 Preserved Line - 4F 44422

4 Special Acheivement - NRM/GCR for restoration of Oliver Cromwell

15. gwrgreen

gwrgreen New Member

Student at Sixth form.
    1 Main line all round peformer - 60019 'Bittern' Especially for the SVR Pheonix

2 Main Line Newcomer - 46115 'Scots Guardsman'

3 Preserved Line - 9017 'Earl of Berkley'

4 Special Acheivement - 76079 - 1st steam loco to Pwhelli for 16 years

16. 37255

37255 Guest

If these are the agreed catagories, I'll recast my vote accordingly...

1 Main line all round peformer - 48151 - It might not have worked the whole year but it was still the best steam loco on the main line :D

2 Main Line Newcomer - 70013

3 Preserved Line - Robert Heath No.6, for the most spectacular run I've had in some time! (Judge for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5rQBV1CO-Q - particularly from a couple of minutes in!)

4 Special Acheivement - 60163... I'm not a big fan of 3 cylinder stuff personally, but it's one hell of an achievement!

17. special achievement has to go to the Keighley and worth valley railway for 40 years of continued steam hauled passenger service
    locomotives wise
    Main line it has to be oliver cromwell
    preserved locomotive the Kwvr dub dee for soildiering on dispite having issues

preserved line locomotive has to be the Q6

18. ahardy

ahardy Member

Dont really have anything for some of the catogories, but for special achievement I would say the Middleton Railway for 250 years of continuous operation. 2010 will also be 50 years of preservation for us.

19. Louth

Louth New Member

Not too familiar with the main line stuff as I never get involved, but I Think

preserved line .... I certainly think the Q6 deserves this as it has done sterling work at the Moors, without much fuss and is a popular engine

Special mention ..... Has got to be Green Arrow considering the pages and pages of stuff written not just on here but everything else relating to the heritage world.

20. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

1: Difficult choice. 60019, in her first full year, has done rather well, trading fast times on the ECML with 60007, and getting to several "foreign" destinations. 6233 has done the business, often a long way from home. The Great Marquess, Tangmere, 45407 and 76079 are all deserving cases. And don't forget Clan Line - trouble-free runs, immaculately turned out, every 2 weeks or so with the VSOE, which I reckon is the heaviest steam-hauled train in the country, especially when there's a "skip" on the back. I'd like to nominate 5690, but I don't think she qualifies, having done a fairly short "season"; likewise 777. In the end, declaring my SR bias, I think Clan Line gets it, by a buffer-beam.

2: Even more difficult: 70013, 46115, 5043 or 60007? What a line-up! How does one choose? I really can't go for the castle, without risking thre wrath of my grandfather's ghost. I haven't actually seen SG in the metal yet, so it's the Streak or the Standard. Remembering how the hairs stood up on the back of my neck when she hurtled up Upton Scudamore in September, I think Oliver Cromwell is the one.

3: 73096 - trusty workhorse, great sound. In particular, I remember a still Saturday evening at Medstead, listening to her climbing from Ropley with the "RAT" (7 coaches, all full). Magic! Honourable mentions to 850 Lord Nelson (very welcome return), Green Arrow (fond farewell) and Bellerophon (how does that valve gear work? Weird!)

4: A1 Steam Trust for completing Tornado and getting her certified. 'Nuff said!