If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NRM Locos

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Luke McMahon, May 9, 2016.

1. Luke McMahon

Luke McMahon Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Morning Folks,

Thought i'd rattle off quick a list of the NRMs steam locos that have worked in recent years. Also does anyone on here know of anything else that's in the overhaul queue or waiting for work to be started???

850 Lord Nelson - IIRC this was up until recent (ish) in a running condition, it's been batted about from word of mouth that it'll run again in the future but unsure when though.

30777 Sir Lamiel - Sure this still runs on the GCR from time to time, however doesn't seem to be allocated many running days if it is working.

3440 City Of Truro - Apparently withdrawn from traffic with quite serious leaking boiler tubes. Pity as when we had it at bury it always proved a very popular performer & certainly drew the crowds in, had the biggest sympathies for the loco crew though, particularly running throughout the winter period as the cab is so open the poor sods looked frozen half to death:eek:

4771 Green Arrow - Retired about 4yrs back now, according to wikipedia waiting it's turn for overhaul & has been selected as an exhibit for the museum at leicester north.

49395 - Stored OOU at shildon supposedly waiting a decision on it's future. Decent enough loco but seems to have had some issues over the yrs. Anybody hazard a guess if we'll see this running again???

Couple of others i'm personally unsure about myself. These are locos people have chatted about & said they'd like to see run but doubt the nrm would allow sadly:

Q1 - 33001
    506 Butler Henderson - Another loco according to wiki that's destined for leicester north museum
    46229 Duchess Of Hamilton - 1 that's certainly on a few folks wish list, sadly unlikely to happen as rumour was the boiler was in a fairly poor state. Still looks gorgeous in streamlining.

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Yes I am an active volunteer
    44027 is under restoration, destination unsure?

Gav106 likes this.
  3. Luke McMahon

Luke McMahon Member

44027 isn't 1 I've come across yet, hope truro can return in the future at some stage.

4. GeoffS75

GeoffS75 Member

30587 is still running at Bodmin.

5. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I am sure 777 'Sir Lamiel' is nearly out of ticket anyway but I am pretty certain it was said she would receive another overhaul.

4771 last ran 8 years ago rather than 4.

6. g8bvl

g8bvl New Member

925 at Mid Hants

7. Luke McMahon

Luke McMahon Member

Had completely forgotten 925 was still operational, if it's even remotely feasable i'd personally love to see the Q1 running as it's such a unique looking loco.

Green arrow is well missed as is truro tbh, good to hear lamiel will be overhauled again. Guessing it must still be in pretty decent nick for the NRM to be willing to finance another overhaul & keeping it running?

8. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    NRM aren't financing the overhaul, the 5305 Locomotive Association are. This seems to be a misconception when referring to the parts of the National Collection which are in steam. The only locomotive funded 'in-house' (via the Science Museum Group, NRM appeals et al) in recent times is 60103. Everything else is the result of preservation groups such as 5305LA have putting together a case for fundraising, restoring, operating and maintaining the locomotives, and the NRM has given approval. A rough and ready description of the process is that all have been subject to the terms of a loan agreement setting out the responsibilities of the society concerned. These are reviewed pending renewal or lapse, in which case the locomotive or item of rolling stock is returned to the museum's care.

9. Luke McMahon

Luke McMahon Member

Read lately in 1 of the railway magazines (RI or the railway magazine) that 850 'Lord Nelson' will be having it's overhaul at the mid hants railway. Good to hear that 1 of the NRMs fleet will still be running in another few years time.