If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NRM - looking a bit tatty round the edges ...

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by richards, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    I saw something in Heritage Railway Magazine about NRM+ costing in the region of £20 Million and that Lottery funding would be sought.

Regards,

Dan

2. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

I visited in half-term week in February and the place was packed, seemed to be lots of kids doing craft activities which I hadn't seen before. However the purpose of my visit was to do some research in the Search Engine facility, and I must say I was impressed, helpful staff and I found exactly the journals (from 1913) I was looking for - a good view over the Great Hall as well.

Dave

3. woody65

woody65 New Member

bad mangerment :-# closed education centre-over priced food-rip off carparking charges-welcome to the nrm =D>

4. Rlangham

Rlangham Well-Known Member

Have to agree with a lot of comments from my visit today - the funfair in between the underpass and the Great Hall gives a bad impression, especially when it's shut and there's no one around. Lots of 'this exhibit is not working', NER 910 was in the paint shop so couldn't see that (which I was looking forward to). That said though, they were only minor detractions from what is a superb museum - the exhibits were in great condition and mostly well presented, the British Rail exhibition was very good

5. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

The fair is better than the hole where the wheel was - and worry not, you'll see 910 tomorrow (albeit with a teddy bear's picnic set up in front of it - sorry!) - the loco in the paint shop was the Stirling single.

6. Rlangham

Rlangham Well-Known Member

On my visit before last Monday (would have been about 2002, blimey!) there was the NER Breakdown Crane parked in the yard, where did that end up? Would look awfully nice paired up with the NER bogie van at Shildon...

7. Anthony Coulls

I'd like to reply but in another thread, I've cut myself and am now out of work... :-D

...but seriously, the crane is stored alongside the Station Hall/Lean To, it had running gear issues as well as other problems, so hasn't made it to Shildon...yet.

8. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    We are visiting over the weekend at some stage, persuaded the wife that May Bank Holiday in York would be nice and booked B&B for the weekend (obviously nothing to do with the suggested GWR King, Castle, Star City line up hmmm), then its cancelled, so a little gutted.

But we shall see what the NRM has to offer, been couple of years since last visit.

9. Anthony Coulls

Just for clarification - the GW line up is postponed, and will happen at a later date. We were looking forward to it too...

10. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    I know, but not sure if I can pull off the political manouverings twice in a year!!

With regards to the NRM first visit for a couple of years, and the scale still amazes me whenever I visit. Not a great deal had changed since last time, but i suppose it cannot change all the time. Couple of thoughts, probably of no interst, but anyway...

- I don't really get the idea of 'the depot', seemed to be a marquee with a couple of DMU's inside, seemed a little disappointing to drag people outside for that.
    - The area between the great hall and the warehouse always seems to be something of no mans land, the western and d200 were there, but you coldnt get near them and no interpretation - I assume that this is a transition area.
    - The model railway wasn't working!!! (actually didn't really bother me, but seems to be a hot topic on here)
    - From a purist point of view would have been nice to see KGV and Lode Star next to each other, although accept that Joe Public probably doesnt care.

Generally a good morning out though, always nice to see 2818!!

11. Cunni

Cunni New Member

Civil Engineering Technician / AutoCAD Draughtsman
    I visited the NRM on Saturday last week. Overall I believe it is a very well turned out and educational museum.

Yes, the model railway wasn't working, but you can see it's age. Electronics don't last forever and overhaul of it probably isn't top of the 'To Do' list at the moment.

Shame there are boards placed along side the Chinese loco, as this prevents capture of a nice side-shot on camera.

There are a few areas a bit rough around the edges, but seen as it has thousands of visitors through every year, I'm not suprised it gets some wear. I saw a couple of kids swinging on a pair of buffers in the Great Hall so their dad could get a picture. Kids are very hands on! I'm just glad no one seems to have tried to scratch their names into anything!

Nice to see the underside of the King! I wonder how many people didn't realise it was still oily under there and touched it? #-o

The only thing I generally find a lack of in a museum is an engine in steam, but I understand this wouldn't be practical on a daily basis.

The beam/mill engines were a supprise! =D>

Oh, I knew there was something: Two engines in the Station Hall were tucked away in a dark corner, one being BoB 'Churchill'. A bit more lighting here would be awesome, as the low lighting makes them seem unwanted or uncared for, regardless of the condition they are in.

But otherwise, a grand day out!

12. 4073

4073 New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    One of the places that was not easy to get to when it was at STEAM. Although I think one of the Tuesday Gang did get inside the frames and start scraping some of the muck off. One of the other members of the gang who has seen the King at York, says that the brass has been lacquered. Is this true?

13. Cunni

Cunni New Member

Civil Engineering Technician / AutoCAD Draughtsman
    No idea personally about the brass, didn't look that closely.

as for the muck underneath, I'd have left it there, it preserves the engine by acting as a separator and reduces corrosion, also, engines are supposed to be greasy underneath. :-$

14. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

Went there yesterday, had a quick look at 6000 - I don't think it has been lacquered, although I was more interested in the stuff you couldn't get at when it was in STEAM. Interesting to be able to look under and compare with 6023.

Thanks to the chaps in Search Engine, found some useful stuff for Didcot. Great reading through those old Swindon registers!

15. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

Well finally made it on monday to see the Duchess. What a great job they have done with stuffing it but i`m still not convinced yet it was the best thing to do with it. Would love to see it running mainline though.
    Quite alot of signs up saying that this item wasnt working but it didnt detract fom a good day out. A few of the engines station hall wouldnt go amiss for better lighting as already stated ie GWR 2-8-0 2818 ,Black 5 - 5000 & furness no3 to mension a few.
    Scots seems also to becoming along slowly as well - so whats going to follow it? 4771 , 6229 , or even Ellerman Lines ;)

Price of sandwiches were a bit steep - no wonder they called the cafe "Brief encounter"

John

16. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    The sandwiches may be slightly overpriced as are some of the things in the shop. But I think it's part of the trade off between keeping entry to the museum free and open to all and maybe charging everyone for entry.
    You can be certain that the grant they receive from the treasury barely covers the basic running costs of the place, so extra revenue has to come from somewhere.
    Which would you rather have? Overpriced sandwiches or a museum open only to those that can afford the entry fee?

17. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

meant as abit of tongue in cheek but still not where near as bad as motorway service prices !!.. and they still manage to keep going

18. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    Sorry John, I wasn't having a go at you, just trying to point out the alternative to overpriced sarnies.

19. royce6229

royce6229 Well-Known Member

Paid a visit today, partly to pay homage to 6229 and also to do some research in the search engine room, 6229 is exceptional and the friendliness and helpfullness of the staff was pretty good as well, the chap in the search engine room who helped me with gradient profiles was a pleasure to talk to, he just so happens to be one of an elite band of 4 who clean 6229 each week. could have spent most of the day just in the annexe/store looking at the signs,nameplates,signalling equipment and hundreds of other bits and bobs. Many thanks to all concerned.