If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NRM Shildon Beer Tank

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by Bestieboy, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Hi
    According to the NRM owned wagon listing M707111, a demountable beer tank flat is located at Shildon. I have no reported sightings of this at Shildon & it also doesn't appear on the Locomotion website.
    I visited the Gloucester & Warwickshire a couple of years ago and noted an unidentified flat with a demountable beer tank. This has also been noted recently.
    Could this be your own wagon on loan to the GWR?
    I also notice on the NRM site that this was built in 1961. Does this apply to the beer tank itself as I believe M707111 was built at Wolverton in the mid 40's.
    This has been causing a bit of cunfusion as the GWR also owns B707111 a BR Conflat which has a few similarities to yours.
    Many thanks for any clarification.
    Cheers
    Steve

2. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Ah...so you spotted the deliberate mistake on the website then...?

It is so, and the wagon has never been here! I'll have to check on the files about dates etc.

Thanks
    Anthony

3. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Cheers Anthony
    It's now been established that M707111 is the only item with that number at the GWR. Conflicting reports assumed the other BR conflat i/d which is a problem at heritage sites. Assumptions often lead to misinformation. This does not actually exist.

Steve