If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NRM's J17

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Hicks19862, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

Is there a chance of this ever being returned to steam?

I think it should return to East Anglia, even if just as a static exhibit.

2. Cartman

Cartman Well-Known Member

Van driver
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    NNR or Mid Norfolk? Yes, I would like this retuned to steam too. And the E4 as well!

240P15 and Hicks19862 like this.
  3. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

Would like to see in steam on the NNR, or at least on static display at Bressingham or the EARM.

240P15 likes this.
  4. clinker

clinker Member

Would be great to see one or both of these returned to steam and although not impossible it wouldn't be an easy job, the only reason for there survival was that they were the last survivors and their cosmetic restorations at Stratford involved a lot of faking, including some fittings being made of wood, but these may have been changed over the years. Restoration would enable exchange of information etc with both new build (F5 and CHLT) and NNR as owners of both the B12 and Y14 as well as EARM with the N7 (any-one have any information of current status of the N7?).

Is there any form of protocol to follow when approaching bodies like the NRM with such proposals?

Hicks19862 likes this.
  5. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yes. Make sure you have a shed load of cash to offer to back up your proposal.

Keith

6. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

Out of ticket since 2015, currently on static display at EARM: https://flic.kr/p/SaxoUG
    Have read that a return to steam wouldn't come cheap, not sure if there are any plans to do so any time soon.

I agree it would be fantastic to see any more ex-GER locomotives in steam, though I am already very grateful that we have the Y14 & B12 thanks to the folks at the M&GNRS.

clinker and Hicks19862 like this.
  7. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

Wonder if the NNR would make an offer to overhaul the N7 in return for its use for a few years, like it did back in 2005.

Imagine a B12, J15, J17 and N7 lined up at Weybourne, in steam.

8. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    I have a bit of a thing for the E4, to see that piloting the Y14 out of Sheringham past the golf course would a rather wonderful sight.

9. SteveA

SteveA Member

Retired
    Having surveyed the E4 a couple of years ago when researching the retro-changes for the Y14 I can squash the often repeated myth of wooden parts on the loco. In 1960 Stratford Works went to a lot of trouble to overhaul the loco to its original condition and make or find the right fittings, right down to replacing the later boiler with one with the correct raised safety valve plinth for the Ramsbottom safety valves which are present and correct inside the metal safety valve cover. The chimney is even the correct pattern rolled steel riveted to the base casting.

Steve

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  10. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    So in theory then...;)

paullad1984 likes this.
  11. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

That is good to know. But where did the rumour of wooden mock-up fittings come from?

12. damianrhysmoore

damianrhysmoore Well-Known Member

Osteopath
    Surely 2 GER 0-6-0s means the NRM will be looking to de-accession one...ahem! I'm not entirely sure I like the idea of assets preserved by future generations being removed from the national collection in order to free up space for more cafes etc at York or overseas locos or modern boxes (but then I am a steam nerd)...but, we are very lucky in that we have a large number of very professional trustworthy custodians and I would love to see this run so I am sure my reservations would soon evaporate

13. derobeck

derobeck New Member

The NRM has two GER 0-6-0s? I think one 0-6-0, one 2-4-0 and one 0-6-0T - all very different beasts.

Barry

14. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    I have thought for some time that the j17 is a bit of an odd locomotive not-to-have at York?

I believe that it represents a type of locomotive that isn't currently displayed at York- the workaday 0-6-0 tender locomotive.
    I know the Q1 is there, but it represents the final development of the 0-6-0 in the UK and also the war effort and cannot really be described as 'typical'.

Previously 'Maude' from the SRPS was displayed to show this type of loco, and I guess the other NRM representative of this type would be 44027- but she is at the Vale of Berkeley under restoration.

Chris

15. The Green Howards

The Green Howards Nat Pres stalwart

Layabout
    Agreed - it seems to feature in so many photos taken on the Hitchin - Bedford line, usually at Henlow.

16. Eightpot

Eightpot Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Engineer Emeritus
    Speaking of the E4 this may be of interest. Played 'hooky' from school on April 29th, 1957 to visit Hitchin shed (34D). Dumped at the back was 62785 rather looking like the next candidate for the scrap heap. Surprisingly, it was transferred to Cambridge (31A), and re-activated. Even more surprisingly it survived to later become part of the NRM collection!

The photo was taken using a 1930s Ensign Midget camera, f/6.3 lens and fastest shutter speed 1/100 th of a second. It used Ensign E10 roll film 1-3/8" wide on spools only 5/8" diameter giving eight exposures 1-1/4" x 1-5/8".

17. Eightpot

Eightpot Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Engineer Emeritus
    Hit the wrong button accidentally, so:-

Scan 168.jpg
    A bit more to this visit was that I came close to 'buying it' as the saying goes. Waiting for the train at Hatfield to get to Hitchin I was unaware that platelayers were working on the Down Main south of the platform and had inadvertently left a 'heel & toe' jack by the rail as a Down express headed by a V2 came past. The jack got caught up with the loco and was spat out towards the north end of the platform narrowly missing me and rebounded off the building at the far end to then strike the first coach. My train came in and on the way near Knebworth (on the Down Main) the V2 and train were seen stopped on the Slow. It later came into Hitchin where the first coach was removed before it continued on its journey.

18. ruddingtonrsh56

ruddingtonrsh56 Member

Returning the E4 to traffic, romantically speaking, would be wonderful, not just for lines like the NNR and MNR, but also to represent those class members that were put to use on the Stainmore route. However, the practical head in me is wondering just how useful an E4 would be - surely it would be a little underpowered for something like a high season train on the MNR? Does the J15 at Sheringham have load limitations at all or are they just happy to send it up Kelling Heath Bank with as many coaches hanging behind the tender as need moving?

Hicks19862 and paullad1984 like this.
  19. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

I was under the impression that since it's last overhaul the NNR J15/Y14 did have a load limitation imposed to about 4 carriages, but could still act as a back up for high season 5 coach and a van trains if needed.

20. damianrhysmoore

damianrhysmoore Well-Known Member

Osteopath
    The Ahem! was meant to indicate my tongue was slightly in my cheek and I knew I was stirring a little. I know they are very different but my comment was in response to the recent disposal of the T3 to the Swanage Railway on the grounds that there are other similar locos in the collection and that they don't have the space or resources to do it justice. The NRM do hold half of all extant GER design locos (sorry if my maths is wonky but it is 3/6, isn't it?) so on balance I think I would like to see at least one let out to steam