If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NWCE 2015

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 5098, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    In addition to the other comments made, and as someone who looks at rather than takes video, can I say that sometimes 'less is more'? There's not much worth looking at if the person filming is so far from the loco that you cannot hear it and then much of the footage is of passing scenery.

I appreciate you taking the footage in the first place and I'm sure you enjoy doing it but as others have said, if you post 40 minutes then it has to be 40 minutes worth viewing. I took a few minutes skipping to the interesting bits like the loco examination at Llandudno Junction. No one else on here had commented on exactly what the problem was with Galatea and your few minutes told us so thanks for that.

2. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

I wish you would stop picking on Ralph it seems a little unnecessary its almost as if you wait for him to post and then leap on it.....

mike1522 and KentYeti like this.
  3. GWR4707

Do WCRC maintain Leander and the five that lives at Carnforth (at present) but is privately owned (Sorry cannot remember her number off top of my head) - I have never seen this confirmed?

4. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Funnily enough I was going to post how much I enjoyed that lively and well put together intro. A short spell introducing a long video.

I think it complements the start of the video very well indeed.

I haven't had time to watch more than a very short part of the main video, so can't comment on that as others have done.

5. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    How is it provocative? The only person provoked so far has been you. If I had been on board, I'd have been extremely glad we had the AA with us, otherwise god knows what time we might have eventually got home. In fact, given WCRC's recent reliability record, I don't think I'd book unless they had a box nailed on the back right now.

KentYeti likes this.
  6. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I realise that there's more chance of me becoming Pope than you booking a steam tour but just how would you have got the passengers to their destination and back following Galatea's failure? I hate diesel assistance on steam tours but without the one that was to hand on Sunday, I think the paying passengers would have had a very fraught time indeed.

Sheff and KentYeti like this.
  7. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

That deserves the courtesy of a reply, so:
    No, I didn't realise that the din would only last 30 seconds, because it was so off-putting for me that I gave up immediately. As my Grandmother used to say of some things, "It's so unnecessary". If you want to start a video with a still but you're afraid of silence, use the sound of the loco, as in some other videos on here.

8. Big Al

So do I and that's the point. The moment that a WCRC charter fails and there is not a diesel in the consist, you are probably in for a long wait as help will be a long way away. With DBS there is a better chance that you will get the help more quickly. That said, don't forget the problem at Rhyl with Tornado when help was nearby but it still took an age to sort out the rescue.

An answer is for steam never to fail but that just doesn't happen. Well, to be more precise, the chances of that happening with some loco owners and owning groups is slim, fortunately. (And that is just a statement of fact. We can all do the maths.)

9. GWR4707

Its all geographical, take for example when the DBS 67 sat down north of Oxenholme, blocked the WCRC for ages and took a push from a following non DBS train to clear - if that had been WCRC there were plenty of diesels nearby at Carnforth (I know they were on the naughty step at the time but the point remains).

10. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

45690 is privately owned and maintained by its own support group mainly. Some jobs may be put out to contract as necessary one would suppose too. Its owner is also the Traction Manager for WCRC.
    45231 presumably belongs to the estate of the late AR Hitchen and may be subject to probate. The latest SR said the family had received 2 offers for it and that WCRC were using it in lieu of payment for repairs carried out by CRRES. Prior to his death Bert and his long time engineering partner maintained the loco, which it is assumed the latter is continuing to do.

11. Moylesy98

Moylesy98 Guest

45690 Leander is owned by Chris Beet who has his own support crew for the engine, 44932 is undergoing an overhaul after a number of issues were discovered after her boiler was lifted for repairs & 48151 hasn't been seen on the mainline this year but her mainline ticket doesn't run out for another 2 years so unlikely to be an overhaul. 46115 hasn't got that long left on her current certificate as her 7 year ticket runs out the end of this month. 35018 Was hoped to be ready this year but a number of further problems have been found with her during restoration so possible summer 2016. With Bodmin and 34073 the boiler is off the Spamcan and not much is known about the progress of Bodmin since her purchase off John Bunch and movement to 10A. 73096 However is being worked on and having most of her overhaul done at Southall.

12. GWR4707

Exactly - so I am not sure why the problems with these locomotives and maintenance are being landed at WCRC's door?

Tony172 and JohnMc like this.
  13. 26D_M

Reported that 46115 has moved E+C to Crewe vice 45690.
    Prospect of the first Scot to Holyhead for 50 years plus?

14. Big Al

Fair point. Remind me though who does the FTR exam of any loco that starts out of Carnforth.

15. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Be nice if an Irish Mail headboard could be found at short notice...

26D_M likes this.
  16. GWR4707

Lovely chance to get some pictures of the Royal Scot sisters together?

17. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

But it's August and moylesy above stated its 7 year certificate expires at the end of July ......

18. 26D_M

The boiler must have been gutted during its certificate to obtain an extension. It's a full inspection within 7 years of the first hydraulic as a rule isn't it for mainline?

19. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Perhaps you should not believe everything that he says.

20. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

I don't believe anything he says, especially when it contradicts what I was told earlier in the week by someone who does know...