If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NYMR Autumn 2019 Gala

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by 61624, May 31, 2019.

1. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

I would prefer to think of it as a poor misjudgement which occurred in the heat of the moment, with a loco which head been heavily trailed in the run up to the gala, able to make an appearance after all following disappointment and the expectation that it would not be ready. A lot of effort will have gone into getting 92134 fit to run and it is understandable that those responsible might want to run it on its first passenger train. It is a shame that someone did not consider the disappointment that sticking it tender-first on the front of the King would cause to a significant number of customers.

Jon

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  2. Davo

Davo Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    92134 at pickering on the slightly late 12:08pm to grosmont 20190929_121808.jpg

Johnme101 likes this.
  3. Karlh

Karlh New Member

I quite agree that it is hopefully a misjudgement, I carefully used the wording 'felt like an insult' as it was in no way an accusation of it being deliberate just describing how it felt personnally.

4. Paul.Uni

Paul.Uni Well-Known Member

The 12.25 Grosmont - Goathland shuttle cancelled.

12.43 20 late

Sent from my SM-J610FN using Tapatalk

5. Dan Bennett

Dan Bennett Member

South Western Railway Fitter
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Those that are upset by the 9F appearing yesterday seem to be in the minority. I was there for two days and when it appeared on trains yesterday there was an overwhelming sense of joy and approval from both those on the trains and those waiting on the stations along the line. I didn’t hear a single complaint and only heard/saw people excited about the prospect of seeing it/being hauled by it.

I think it’s fantastic that they managed to get it out and about when it wasn’t expected to, particularly as it’s a Barry restoration that has never worked in preservation before.

D7628 also sounded fantastic on the Whitby runs and is often overlooked as an unsung hero.

DeccerGW, 49010, unslet and 10 others like this.
  6. Davo

Davo Well-Known Member

What was it what failed on the S160 2253 yesterday?

7. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member Friend

Balanced judgment rather than poor judgement IMHO. The MPD staff had worked like trojans to get the 9F working for its first public turns (which were originally advertised as a feature of the gala before being reluctantly cancelled in the v2 timetable). I think they deserve massive credit that the first light engine test on Friday and the trip with the goods on Saturday morning both went without a hitch. As I understand it talking to people in the MPD, in order to work a solo public service on Sunday it then needed to do two further things, a full line 'loaded test' with a minder (to me the 9F seemed to be working significantly harder than the King up to Goathland as part of that test) and to turn at Pickering and return.

I don't think the suggested option of 'more shunting' to get it behind the King was on without delaying an already tight and slipping timetable. Delay the outward trip and there was no real opportunity to get it back. Abandon the idea, and disappoint the paying public.

So the result, the NYMR delivered what it originally promised to those who bought tickets in advance, the opportunity of a ride behind the 9F as originally advertised. It failed to deliver one chimney first run from the King out of all its appearances over the 3 days. Unfortunately it was probably best photographic opportunity. I have a foot in both camps; I got a ride behind the 9F followed by a tender first photo of the 9F instead of the King off the bridge at Goathland. As they say, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

DeccerGW, 49010, unslet and 15 others like this.
  8. misspentyouth62

misspentyouth62 Well-Known Member

I would agree Robin.
    Opportunities were presented and duly taken to showpiece NYMR's latest asset that many will have sweated buckets to get ready for the gala as promised.

9. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    It was indeed a pleasant surprise for those standing on the train. Glad to have finally chalked up a first passenger run for something fresh out of the box. But as said, can't please everybody all of the time.

stuarttrains likes this.
  10. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    What a cracking event! The sound of the King / Hall climbing the bank to Goathland was fantastic...

Video footage from the Friday & Saturday featuring 6023, 6990, 60009, 62005, 1264, 65894, 2253, 2238, 825, 926, 29 and 92134.

Video Available Here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. and60007

and60007 Member

Community Operative
    I agree with you there Simon. What a gala. I was there Thursday, Friday and Saturday. One of the best steam galas that I been to for a very long time?

12. jon5051

jon5051 Member

Seems to be some misunderstanding - for me at least, it’s great that 92134 is out. However, it’s the lack of information that is annoying. I headed off a bit early today due to rain but would have hung around to ride or see the 9F if we’d known.

13. Crawley Ben

Crawley Ben New Member

My first visit to a steam gala at the NYMR and it was better than I had hoped it would be. Didn't manage to bag all the loco's on offer (had to write today off to get home early due to family issues), but very much enjoyed trips behind the King, A4 and the Hall. Also managed to get in a trip to Whitby too which was very enjoyable.

Not sure if any of the staff or volunteers post on here, but just want to say thank you for all your efforts in putting this gala together and making it as good as it could possibly be. I can't imagine the hours that have gone it to planning this and making it all come off, hopefully the final numbers (when confirmed) will show it to have been worthwhile.

Ben

14. Davo

Davo Well-Known Member

Very challenging wet weather today for all crews involved on the footplate today at the N.Y.M.R. i bet going up goathland summit on the wet rails
    Davo 56F

15. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

What I heard today is that they realized yesterday another loco would be required due to failures. 29 failed yesterday which is why it did not double head with the J27 today as planned. One option was to put a fire in 80136, but as the 9F was already warm they went for that. Sounds logical, and I don't believe they would just put another loco on the front for no reason or on a whim, when for this event the effort had been made to have attractive loco combinations ie. King and Hall, Schools and S15, J27 and Q6 etc. So just one of those things ultimately, but very unfortunate it was a star guest engine on a sunny afternoon.

Those feeling disappointed have every right to be however, what is wrong with wanting to take a nice picture? Also what's with this inaccurate distinction between 'photographers' and visitors to the gala, seeing as many on the trains and stations were taking pictures and videos. I myself got the first train from Pickering on Friday morning, got off at Goathland and walked over to Darnholme to photograph the trains coming up the bank.

lewis.maddox likes this.
  16. wazza588

wazza588 Member

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    green five, acw71000, Davo and 9 others like this.
  17. jon5051

jon5051 Member

Thanks for explanation re 29 failure. 92134 looks good in the photo above - lots for the MPD guys to be proud of, and in the event of a failure more than a fitting change to the traction.

I do want to say thanks to anyone involved with the gala - a great three days! Highlight for me was a spirited run with 6990, which seemed in fine fettle. A spirited run with 6023, and a good recovery on the bank from 60009, also highlights.

Three photos below - 15 more at https://www.flickr.com/photos/24236352@N02/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

A video from Friday and Saturday

49010, green five, and60007 and 2 others like this.
  19. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
  20. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

92134 worked this morning and early afternoon so if you missed it you left more then a bit early.Grosmont webcam is your friend .