If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NYMR Spring Gala - 1st to 4th and 8th to 10th May

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Bean-counter, Mar 14, 2009.

1. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Looking forward to three days intensive riding and photting ! 5am start tomorrow morning - but two restful nights at the amazing Ruswarp Hall to look forward to as well. Bring it on ! :) =D>

2. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    Just wonder if 53809 would be more suited to shuttle runs from pickering to Levisham in its current state?

3. pennysteam

I Just wonder if 53809 would be more suited to shuttle runs from pickering to Levisham in its current state?

4. Edward

Edward Member

TBH, that's a waste of a hire fee. Better to get it into the shed, and get it sorted; we're going to need that engine in a few weeks time.

5. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

There aren't any shuttles planned for this Gala - in part this is because of the potential for delay caused by the "three train shuffle" at Levisham. The new siding at Levisham is nearly ready but not quite. The plan is for it to be ready in the next couple of weeks so that the goods train can be stabled there as Goathland Loop needs to be empty for the start of the Red Timetable in mid-May, when the afternoon Whitby departure terminates and runs round there. (Due to the gradient in the station and the proximity to Goathland Bank, run round in the platforms is not permitted as a scheduled manouvre).

With Levisham commissioned, perhaps a star shuttle may be an idea for the Autumn. We hopefully have a second guest (which wouldn't be on a shuttle!) booked but can't release the details just yet!

6. Bean-counter

One or two loco changes confirmed for the weekend:

Today (Friday): 49395 in place of 63395, 45407 in place of 53809

Saturday: No swaps but 76079 not piloting 75029.

Sunday: 60163 in place of 53809 on first round trip from Grosmont, 60007 in place of 60163 on first round trip to Battersby. Therefore 45212 and 60007 swap om 11:35 and 12:40 ex Grosmont. Q6 does 14:50 for 60007 as A4 not back in time. Otherwise, as previous. 825 on Whitby to Battersby service.

So on Sunday, 60163 does two Grosmont to Pickering and one Grosmont to Battersby and 60007 does one Grosmont to Battersby and one Grosmont to Pickering (The Moorlander).

That should make sense to those with the brochure and photocopied lists were I believe being handed out with tickets last weekend.

Steven

7. YorkyLad

YorkyLad New Member

Any reason why 76079 will not be piloting 75029 tomorrow? Was really looking forward to that. :(

8. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yeah me too, is 76079 going to run at all? Also if 825 is on the Battersby line on the Sunday what about 45407? Not running at all? :(

9. BR 73082

BR 73082 Member

Does anyone know how much an adult and a child day rover costs? Couldn't find it on the website.

10. 46203

46203 Member

I purchased an adult day rover for last Sat, cost £19.

11. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    Thanks for the updates.

Does leave us all puzzled as to why Gala Visitors 45407 and 76079 are sat idle all weekend especially when 53809 and 30926 are not available.

6 locos for a Gala Saturday........very poor.........

A normal visit I made during April had five different locos (6619, 45212, 825, 63395, D7628).

Thank goodness for the A1 =D>

Never mind, I will still be down all weekend supporting the event.

Best Regards

Andrew

12. jon5051

jon5051 Member

Just back from a good week despite the weather at the beginning of the week and the many loco changes! 6 in use plus 825 on the shed in steam on Weds, 5 today and 75029 only did a single trip! But a good weekend and good to finally see the A1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The above is a preview, 28 shots going up now at http://jonpotterphotos.fotopic.net/c1694561.html

To try and 'give something back' to the railway I'm making all of my NYMR pictures available as Prints and various other products (anything you want really!) - with 100% of the proceeds going to the Bridge and Wheels Appeal. PM me or e-mail at jonpotter@stmarysamersham.co.uk for info

Thanks for looking
    Jon

13. Bean-counter

I think the main reason that there aren't vast numbers of locos in use each day is that many visitors will be after the starts (60163 and, despite being based on the line, 60007). in order for 60163 in particular to undertake the maximum number of trips, it has, if possible, to run straight round at each end and take back out the train it has brought in. This will mean any other loco that isn't doing that having to wait at least 2 hours, longer if the a4 is doing the same. Just ask crews how impressed they are if they have 3 hours or so between trains! It can also be be a bit difficult to keep the loco (and its fire in particular) in a condition that isn't going to upset the neighbours but will be ready for action when the time comes.

What has been mentioned for the Autumn is looking at a layover loco at Pickering so that the loco is changed there, which will assist in using the maximum number of locos.

14. pennysteam

As you Partialy mentionend, no shuttles at either end or fraight (we do get the fraight on non whitby dates). Either way that adds up to a lot less depatures, two late this time round, but on reflection the best idea would have been to extend depetures upto the end of daylight hours maybe, NNR,SVR and SS2 ran till midnight with the returns, of course some crews and trains did not start till the afternoon. One other idea is maybe put in to shuttles or fraight in the end of day gaps upto goathland, also agian would be nice to see the goods banked.

15. Edward

Edward Member

Jon,

There's some cracking shots there. I'm glad you've enjoyed yourself, and thank you for your offer to support our appeal.

Ed
    NYMR Driver

16. 60163 Tornado

60163 Tornado New Member

If the loco was to go back to the midland railway, would it of been a waste of time, effort and money bringing it here? Its only run one day, and looks as though its not going to be running this weekend....

Regards

Sam

17. pennysteam

Thats this weekend! Old news before being booked for NYMR, from what I gather it is staying for some time after the gala based on ealyer responses on this thread.

18. Edward

Edward Member

Just to respond to this - engines need crews. We simply do not have enough of them to put every available loco out.

The more engines you have out, the less each one does, which means the crew ends up sitting about all day doing nowt. Not a particularly interesting way to spend your day off.

19. Mike30A

Mike30A Well-Known Member

spending the kids inheritance
    Just spent an enjoyable, if rather blustery,Thursday & Friday on the Moors -- Tornado looked at home with the teak set, which always seemed packed, unlike other trains. Funny to overhear one or two comments that they expected to see the loco shining like a new pin -- rather difficult when it has been in extensive service !!

20. gresleyman

gresleyman Member

Student
    Alright people lets put this one into focus, if you were in charge what would you do the same and what would you do differently, bearing in mind the contraints on crew numbers and physical limitations of the line? What makes a good gala apart from decent photographs? How can the NYMR improve things for you!