If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NYMR Spring Gala - 1st to 4th and 8th to 10th May

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Bean-counter, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Diamond Gaz

Diamond Gaz Well-Known Member

Here's a couple of ideas then, that shouldn't cost much / anything extra, but could add interest:

Use the turntable at Pickering, should be possible if there is going to be a loco laying over at Pickering rather than Grosmont.

Fire up one of the steam cranes, and do demonstration lifts - possibly in Newbridge yard, with a shuttle from Pickering Station?

2. Edward

Edward Member

You've forgotten the key limitation:

COST!

Different visitors will have different wishes; what we need to do is focus on those who intend to buy travel tickets.

Two thoughts -
    The turntable at Pickering is an absolute pig to use.
    How would people get off the proposed shuttle at NB? The crane isn't a bad idea, again providing we can man it, but would need to be at Grosmont.

3. gresleyman

gresleyman Member

Student
    Yes there is a cost implications Ed but a lot of what we don't do is not cost related at all and just needs organising. Things like Adrian Dennis' photo exhibtion at Grosmont cost very little to put on but add to overall gala experience. Besides it never hurts to ask people what they actually want to see rather than assuming as sometimes happens.

4. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Right - been trying to post this since just after 15:00 but for some reason this forum won't permit posts from the computer's in Grosmont Control Office!!

45407 is back on the Whitby to Battersby service tomorrow. No sure why the change to use 825 was notified to me yesterday but it is now intended to be 45407 as per original plan. Apologies for the confusion, especially to 45407's many fans.

76079 didn't run today due to lack of a crew.

No other changes or failures as of 19:00 tonight when I left Grosmont. 60163 had just backed on to the Pullman to make its passenger debut to Battersby - back out there again tomorrow night.

Fuller report on today later.

Steven

5. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    I think most people missed the shuttles and fraights we usualy have on Gala, without out them it seemend like a normal peek period day. I think the problem is the whitby to picking is asking to mush on a gala time table, you either end of way out like last year and upset railtrack I suspect, or reduce the gala to almost a normal weekend which is what happend this time around. The answer is run the whitby only into grosmont and let people get change to shuttle or a normal service. I would assume they have a day rover anyway, if not maybe have a whitby day rover that includes a ride back. Secondly changing trains at Grosmont makes sense as there are shops, the sheds etc, so they are likely to spend more. You could do an ealry and end of day all the way service, didn't we do this last year?

Still think we should bite the bullet and have gala day line side pass, other lines manage to do it and frankly from what I have seen there are loads who go line side without one or even an High vis, the price and rules NYMR operate are OTT for most accational visitors. I think many would be happy to pay for a day pass given the chance.

Another idea would be to have an early morning and late evening goods before the time table gets into swing and when it is winding down.

6. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The problem with line side passes is the PTS exam, ok other railways don't issue them, but i would have thought that i would be a requirement for the insurance company otherwise I’m sure the NYMR wouldn't issue them. Yes plenty of people do go line side without Hi-vis / line side passes take today for instance i turned up to Goathland signal box to sign on, told him my intentions and he straight away said we've had a lot of complaints this gala of people trespassing at this crossing (the one at Fen Bog) and he asked me to remove anyone who wasn't suppose to be at either side of the fence, so i did, ok they weren't happy but at the end of the day they wouldn't go trespassing on the big railway.

7. Bean-counter

With the NYMR, the "fun" just never stops! While working the 18:25 ex grosmont (18:00 ex Whitby), 45212 has suffered blown piston rings putting it out of action for tomorrow, although it managed to work the train to Pickering tonight.

The first idea was to call "Riley international Rescue" and use 76079, but it turned out to be on washout, so 75029 is being resteamed (having been in action today) to cover for 45212 tomorrow. I believe "RIR" were still being called on as I understand it was Mr R himself who was putting the fire into 75029! This means there is a Light Engine movement to get 75029 in place to work the 10:00 ex-Pickering in the morning (Light Engine will be around 08:30 ex Grosmont to pass the 08:00 ex Pickering at Goathland and the 09:00 at Levisham).

Generally, today has gone very well - every loco worked its booked turn, taking account of the amendments advised yesterday, which I think is a first for the event! Time-keeping went a bit off this afternoon when the GW Saloon was added to the 12:30 ex-Grosmont, but only to about 20 minutes and this was recovered. The Saloon was for the Lostock Hall Enginemen's Reunion, which regualrly takes place on the NYMR, so I am sure no-one minded, and the Senior Lostock Hall Fireman at the end of steam (there were only 4 he tells me!), John Fletcher, was on the regulator of 60163, so time was remade well.

It looks like today's takings have taken the total for the event past that for the LNER Festival last year and, although exact passenger numbers will take a little time to compile, that means we will have definitely passed the 10,000 passenger mark possibly on Friday!).

The thoughts for future galas are much appreciated and I will pass on for consideration when looking at future timetables. I think the thought of making the Whitby trains a shuttle, even if on the same times (and there isn't much room for change) is an interesting one. I looked at today and as I said earlier, once you had the "stars" (60163 and 60007) doing the maximum possible and the through trains to or from Whitby with Esk Valley locos, there wasn't much room for other loco changes etc.

8. Bean-counter

Meant to add a few photos to the previous post - if some look to be from slightly odd positions, they were taken during lulls in guard's duties!

This usually doesn't work for me, so please forgive me if all you get is the words!!!

Steven

9. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    I'm just home after three awesome days at NYMR. Big 'thankyou' to all the people who planned and operated this event, it was a truly memorable gala. Yes there were some hiccups, but NYMR operators surpassed themselves at keeping the job running. I doubt if 'Joe Public' noticed any changes and only the most cynical of enthusiasts would fail to acknowledge the great job done when things went 'pear shaped.' Weather-wise I think we were lucky on this 2nd weekend, a few showers but no prolonged downpours :) . I left at lunchtime Sunday - so apologies if it rained this afternoon!! Anyway - well done all !
    My fav shot of the Gala is here, some of the rest can be seen at;

http://johnleyland736.mediaobject.co.uk/c1695545.html

10. gresleyman

gresleyman Member

Student
    It did rain this afternoon we had a most interesting trip on the diner, fighting for adeshion all the way.

11. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

I travelled on various parts of the line on the first and last days and thoroughly enjoyed it all, especially the first trip for me up to Battersby and behind Tornado. (yes the full 70 miles via Pickering)

I want to also say a very big thank you to all the people involved in this Gala for all the work they put into it, thank you everyone. =D>

(a few pics from the first day are here = http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldsteam/ , with the last days loaded soon)

12. 05micfis

05micfis Member

I had a brilliant day on Saturday. Most of the running went smoothly and on time. Although I thought it could of been better if 76079 & 45407 had been in traffic. Overall, it was a smashing line up and "Tornado" definately had the crowds surrounding her, and my run behing 45212 on the 1830 to Pickering was absolutely stunning. True Stanier power on the 1 in 49 gradient! =D> She didn't sound well leaving Goathland as she had to set back all the way down the platform to get a run at the bank, plus her drain cocks were sticking and she sounded quite off beat. I hope that they can resolve the problem quickly. Well done NYMR for a smashing gala.

13. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Well-Known Member

IT Engineer
    Finally sorted out my pics from a great week at the NYMR. A fantastic holiday (great cottage at Esk Valley), some rather challenging photography conditions means less of a haul than I'd hoped for! Had 2 days on the John Hunt photocharter and did get some nice light on the Tues eve. Great galal too, spent all Monday travelling the trains which was cool. The 75 is an awesome loco. Even managed to get a great cab ride on the Super D (thanks guys). A couple of shots, the rest are now on my website. Looking forward to returning to the NYMR very soon, such a shame it's so far from Hampshire!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. BR 73082

BR 73082 Member

Sorry its a bit late but been trying to sort out the video I got on Saturday but to no avail. Thanks to all those at the NYMR for what was an enjoyable day. I managed to do the journey from Kings Cross to Pickering Station in almost exactly 3 hrs and 25 mins. Not bad going! Journey back took a bit longer but I'm glad I did it. A massive thanks must go to the person at Pickering station (never got their name) who booked me a taxi after the Q6 arrived late and I missed the bus. Without it I would have still been up there now! Managed to get some linesiding in as well and got these two:

15. Bean-counter

Many thanks for all the kind comments, and constructive suggestions for the future. I can't say that running the Gala by easy, as problem after problem was thrown at us, but I can honestly say that I enjoyed working at the event as much as people obviously enjoyed attending it! The team spirit was great, and there were some very long hours worked as well as staff coming in during holidays or returning from the other end of the region in order to fix the problems that could be fixed in a short timescale.

Sunday proved that Steam Locos can commincate with and copy off each other, as no sooner that Tornado started over creating vacuum and then not maintaining it but 6619 started doing the same! Obviously, a Great Western loco can't let any other loco create more vacuum than it!

We are still collating final income and passenger numbers, but the present calculations show the ticket income is a new record for the NYMR, and put the passenger number at over 13,000.

Many thanks again to all involved in attending and operating the event.

Steven Hogg

16. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Great shots, Matt. I especially like the panned shot of Tornado.

17. Bean-counter

We have now "finalised" the passenger figures and the number is 13,512 - a record for the NYMR.

Steven

18. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Well-Known Member

IT Engineer
    Thanks Steamage. Given the conditions a panned shot seemed the best option.

Does anyone know was locos are likely to run this Sat? Am tempted for a brief return!