If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

October dated issue has a new look

Discussion in 'The Railway Magazine' started by RM Staff, Aug 28, 2008.

1. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

As some of you may have realised, The Railway Magazine has been in the works for attention.

The current format has been running non-stop since March 2000, so we felt that even as the best-selling monthly, the time was right to go for a new look.

When the October-dated issue hits the bookstalls next Wednesday (Sept 3), you should notice a change to the cover design, and slight alteration of the masthead. Inside, two new typefaces are used, and there are changes to the styling and layout, with complimentary panels. A number of new features have been introduced, and more are planned.

As regards the volume of news, photos and features, I can assure you all that nothing has been lost - in fact the tweaks we have made have allowed more words per page, so it's even better value for money.

We like to think that the changes give the magazine a cleaner, fresher look, with a more up-market style but at the same time still provides the same absorbing read every month. It's fair to say that some further minor tweaks may be applied, but your comments on the new look are welcome either on here or if you prefer by private email.

As I write this we are just signing off the final few news pages, then I am off on holiday with a small party of RM readers for two weeks holiday and some railway photography - hopefully away from email and the internet. \:D/

Who knows, curiosity may get the better of me and I may just check your comments from the other side of the Atlantic - I just hope they have cleared up in Denver after the democratic convention before the Brits hit town.

2. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ Can't wait for this issue to come in the post. The style (i.e. size and type of typeface) of the news pages did cause difficulties for people with eyesight problems that I know.

3. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

Will look forward to seeing how it looks, but I really hope that meant complementary, not complimentary, unless browsers are invited to tear bits off pages in the shop... ;-)

4. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Will look forward to seeing how it looks, but I really hope that meant complementary, not complimentary, unless browsers are invited to tear bits off pages in the shop... ;-)[/quote:2y2su5iv]

Good spot !

That's what happens for spending three solid 12-hour days at computer - all together now.....aaahhhh
    Off home to pack now.

5. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Congratulations with the new look magazine, RM staff. It is superb.
    Looking forward to the Southern Region special edition next issue.

6. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Well, having read it from 1964 - 68 for free on my paper round and bought it ever since, I like my 'new' Railway Mag a lot :)

The feature on the EE Type 4's was good and yes, initially we did hate em - spot on ! No other Magazine is a better 'one stop shop' for everything heritage and contemporary. Keep up the great work Railway Mag ! =D>

7. petern

petern New Member

I love the new look, congratulations on a stylish and sensible make over

8. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    Nice job with the revamp =D>

A balanced and well thought out makeover of the magazine, not too drastic.

Thought it might of been an opportunity (in my humble opinion) to change the paper quality to that of the likes of "Railways Illstrated", "Today's Railways", "Rail Express" etc, they just seem to have a much better and stronger paper, it is rare for RM to arrive through the letter box without being cut or torn en route and it can detoriate quite quickly if looked at several times, (which is always required to take in all the great news and features each month).

Not sure what others think?

Cheers

9. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

The new look is a definite success. Clear, purposeful, free of unncecessary distracting titbits, and above all it's stuck to the simple idea that substantial blocks of text work best as black type on a white background.

10. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

This is from Phil Marsh as Chris is away on a reader trip in America.

Thanks for the kind comments on the new-look magazine. We have had many similar ones by email, letter and phone in the office - where I'm spending too much time while others are on holiday or reader trips!

The Southern Souvenir issue is shaping up nicely from what I've seen and we have collected hundreds of high quality pictures never before published.

Things are shaping up for the Eastleigh event next May and I've been to see several people that will be bringing a great show to you at the former SR Works. Chris and I will be meeting in press week to write up the latest news on this event which will be different to Carnforth but as with Carnforth, will be a "Must Not Miss" for all readers.

Best wishes to all

Phil Marsh

11. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Thanks for sitting in the seat, Phil.

Back from Colorado now, and starting to download a 2,000+ photos.

Got to admit that until I visited, I was ambivalent about US diesels, but having seen them, had cab rides and so on the big freights with between 2 and 6 locos on with helpers on the back hauling 120 wagon coal trains are amazing. And no problems from officials taking photographs of trains - maybe the UK needs to learn from the US?

Colorado is also blessed with many great heritage lines which will feature in the report for a future issue.

12. 23E

23E Member

13. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Ah, the editor's dilemma. Bigger photos, less news, or smaller photos and more news. It's a juggle to find a happy medium, but your point is noted. Thanks.

14. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    Hi Chris

Any thoughts on this point from my earlier posting?

Kind Regards

15. SG-Canada

SG-Canada Member

Land Use Planner
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    You should see the shape that my subscriptions to the RM and SR arrive in Canada in some months...not sure if its the quality of the paper or the posties at Canada Post and the crap job they do of cramming our mail into our box, but there have been a few times where mangled mags have been received...though at least the mail has been doing better at getting them here within a couple of weeks of their UK release and well before the few copies that hit newstands here do-so.

16. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Thank you for advising of the problems with copies being sent to America & Canada - I was unaware of this, and will raise it with our management to pursue.

We often get requests for better paper, but that has an added cost to the cover price. I regularly see magazines from France, Germany and USA, where some have better paper, some worse. Those on better paper cost considerably more - usually around €10, some £7.50. I am not sure the majority of readers would pay, say £4.50 of £5 for The RM, just for better paper.

As we are in the midst of a financial nightmare where consumers are looking to cut their spending, so it would be fair to say that the market is particularly price sensitive at the moment and that hiking the price might not make good business sense. It is very difficult to predict what impact on sales an upgrade in paper would have.

Another factor is overheads - RI and RE operate with a smaller staff, have a small office (or from home) and therefore lower overheads.

However, the paper matter is under regula review and there is optimism in the camp that one day it'll happen - and maybe perfect binding too !

17. SG-Canada

SG-Canada Member

Land Use Planner
    Well, for what it is worth, the October issue arrived today and was in good shape, so far about 5 pages in and i like the new look, much cleaner and modern looking, a good update so far.

18. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

The answer to the poor condition of receipt of magazines is due to mishandling by the Canadian post office. Apart from complaining, I am not sure whether there is a solution to this problem. A complaint has been sent by the company to Canadian postal HQ, but whether it will have any effect remains to be seen.

19. SG-Canada

SG-Canada Member

Land Use Planner
    Probably isn't a solution given the state of Canada Post, but i appreciate the update. At least i know who to be bitter at now when a magazine comes in mangled!!