If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

olympic torch idea

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by ovbulleid, Aug 6, 2008.

1. ovbulleid

ovbulleid Member

i sit behind my computer clicking on 'view active
    i was reading in thye paper today about how the london 2012 team are looking into alternatives to the international torch relay element of the olympics (which everyone forgets is the most nazi element of the games, having been invented by goebells in 36). It may be replaced by a tour of the UK in which varous sporting sites, such as queens tennis club (wimbledon), wembley and twickenham stadiums, and much wenlock in shropshire (where the olympics were restarted in the 1600's and inspired the baron de courbetin to restart the olympic movement as we know it).

my idea is this. if the BOC are looking at a novel way of transporting the olympic flame around the country, how about doing it in the firebox of a steam engine. it would be a novel way of publicising both the games and mainline steam, and provide a method of transporting the various IOC officials and journalists around the country during this tour. good engines to do this with would be city of truro, flying scotsman, oliver cromwell (all NRM engines, hence me putting this in the NRM area, the latter two would be 2-4 years into their mainline tickets), tornado (would be halfway through its mainline ticket by then, so less problems ), hogwarts castle or the highly unlikely event of resteaming mallard.

if the royal family can have a private train for the last 150 years, why can't the olympic flame once? obviously this woudl be dependant on the various organisations across the country, not to mention the BOC, but i think this would be an excellent oppurtunity for some mainline thrash in the name of global peace and harmony. what does everyone else think?

2. P&JR

P&JR Well-Known Member

The Peoples Democratic Republic of the Causey Arch
    Possibly one of the most inspired and high profile uses of steam ever... surely in the country which gave the steam locomotive and the modern railway to the world and consequently the modern world we all live in, it'll never happen though ](*,)

3. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    You know what ? Thats an amazing idea! Not only would it publicise the heritage movement, it would be a great vehicle to recruit volunteers too.

4. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Seeing as it is being heralded as a green olympics, using a steam engine would be a rather bizarre idea. If something is going to happen for the olympics it should be one of the railtour companies setting up a regular steam service out london like the scarborough's and the torbay's to be aimed at all the foreign tourists who mainly stay in london - i cant understand why its not happening now to be honest.

Chris

5. P&JR

P&JR Well-Known Member

Ah but if the coal was from a UK mine would the total carbon footprint not be actually lower than an electric train using power generated from imported gas, oil, nuclear or even coal?

6. ovbulleid

ovbulleid Member

cheers for the feedback. i wasn't thinking of regular mainline services (as there will be the new javelins in service by then), just for one leg of the flame's tour. i certainly can't think of any previous examples of the olympic flame being used to actually move people, normally its some sweaty runner carrying the thing. i just had a really good image of a classic engine with a special olympic headboard pulling a train of Mk 3's with london 2012 and the olympic rigs on each one blasting over some viaduct. not in the slightest bit authentic (like an apple green scotsman with smoke deflectors) but i can't think of anything more impressive.

one request, and mainline engine is good, as long as it's not black...

7. P&JR

P&JR Well-Known Member

Only problem with the Mk3s is the fact that you couldn' use the air con! Try some early Mk2s instead or even Mk1s for that matter - unless you could specially register a mixed rake of NYMR / SVR teaks for invited guests only - wouldn't be passengers! Please wake me up I'm dreaming.

8. ovbulleid

ovbulleid Member

ah right. i was thinking Mk 3's as they are modern stock compared to mk 1's (don't want to look too backward in front of the continental neighbours) that can be easily obtained, most of the royal train is made up of them after all (but they do have mk 2 guards at either end). teaks would certainly be good, but what about some pullmans? genuine class with a historic edge. now where would be the best place to stretch the legs of this exclusive, once-in-a-lifetime railtour?

9. P&JR

P&JR Well-Known Member

I suppose you want somewhere on the South Coast to London. How's about Folkestone! ](*,)

10. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

lol my remark about a regular service wasnt to do with the olympics, i just think with all the extra tourists in the city it would be a good idea. Im quite certain steam will never run on HS1 (famous last words)

Chris

11. GHWood

GHWood Member

Couldn't you use the air-con if you had some sort of generator car in the rake (suppose it would add to the expense/ inconvenience?) or a diesel loco at the back of the rake (useful in case of emergencies too I guess....).

Great idea though!

12. I think they should lay temporary track in the stadium and have rocket as part of the opening shop piece