If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

OO Scale Bachmann Silver Anniversary Pack

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by 73129, May 26, 2014.

1. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

I've been looking on Bachmann web site over the weekend and I see they are doing a silver anniversary pack which contains two loco's in a wood box but the price does seem a bit high at £249.95. Anyone else considering buying this box set?

http://www.bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=182&vis=2

Cheers

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not for me thanks ... As you say rather pricey for a wooden box and little evidence that such items become sought after collectors items ... except in the minds of those trying to flog them on ebay in years to come :)

Drysdale likes this.
  3. MikeParkin65

MikeParkin65 Member Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    If you look at the RRP for standard production versions of the two models then factor in the fact that these are both Limited Editions you will find that the price is in line with the main range. Aimed at the collector rather than the modeller so not for me but a fair price I think.

4. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Actually I think it is a good price and I will explain why - Go back through the previous limited editions Bachmann have done over the years and you will see the prices have risen much less than it has with the standard models. In Fact IIRC the 15th anniversary set with the N's was also around the £250 mark.

5. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Enjoy ... For less than that I got a Broadway NYC Hudson with sound, I'm happy too :)

Pete Thornhill likes this.
  6. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Limited editions tend not to fair well in the long term,new moulds or competitors having a go, if not time itself tend to make them lose their lustre.

Exceptional few make it the distance.

The kader anniversary set with 75001 /j72 sold for £60 on ebay a few weeks back.. Half what it was originally listed for... And the 4mt is the new mould too.

The problem is, almost all Bachmanns old stuff wasn't that bad, so the new and double the rrp of its predecessor tends to not be as an easy sell.. Bachmann 4mts are worth nought as are B1's, which explains why we haven't seen a retooled manor.

7. Standard 4MT

Standard 4MT Member

Photographer/IT MCSE/NYMR/ex Police/&Train Manager
    With the recent massive price increases on normal Bachmann items, these would seem cheaper.
    The price rises are due to doubling of equivalent of Commercial rates and 50% of skilled staff not returning to work!
    Example of price rise, the Class 101 DMU has just gone up £40 on previous RRP and discounts won't be seen at Hattons etc who are already adjusting upwards all Bachmann products.
    Some engines up to £60 dearer but average £45, trucks and coaches also have a large increase.
    It was always going to happen in China where people now won't work for peanuts.
    Hope this doesn't harm those of us that are into Model Railways, but I dare say some of Hornby's products will follow.
    One sad item that will be discontinued is the Blue Pullman which with the extra new tax per item which adds more on all DMUs would be a mad RRP of £540.00 Tragic.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014