If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Oswestry Update

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by ilvaporista, Aug 13, 2010.

1. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Whilst looking for something else I stumbled across this video. It shows more or less the current state of play. Best run with the volume turned down.

30854, echap, Copper-capped and 2 others like this.
  2. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    Thanks to all who came along at the weekend and I hope you had a good time.
    Out of sight the beams for the cattle creep were finally positioned and (almost) fixed in to place. Once the resin is fully hard the beams can be anchored to the positioned studs. The tracklaying team are itching to press on but we wait for machinery for the big dig. We hope that this time the weather will be kinder to us.

3. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    Amongst other jobs the team spent last Thursday tidying up scrap metal. A good result at the end of the day, see the blog for details and pictures.

30854 and echap like this.
  4. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    More work done on the tidy up and we have a provisional date for the dig. The last date was curtailed due to snow so that should not be a problem this time, although with the weather you can never be too sure!

The 4th June should see the equipment move on site and work start shortly after, as ever this will depend on the machines being released from their previous jobs.

echap and 30854 like this.
  5. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    Another couple of posts on the blog and dates for the next working weekends on the push to Weston. When the machines arrive for the dig I will post again. Luckily you get a grandstand view from the road bridge, not quite as deep as the Bluebell's but it's amazing how many people love looking in to holes. Just to sum up, we need to take about 18" from under the bridge and grade that back to the normal levels either side.

echap and Bluenosejohn like this.
  6. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

7. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Gav106 likes this.
  8. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    Oops, will put it in the main text next time, thank you for your kind comments and sorry for being off the air last month.

9. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Could we please also have a link to background info such as a map of existing and planned sections of track, which bridges need what work and why, etc?

ghost likes this.
  10. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    So it's not just me then [See post #410]? :)

I tried getting a thread going on what makes for a good website, but it didn't take very long to die quietly. :(

Thankfully we've got @ilvaporista's very welcome posts to keep us abreast of CHR developments, but there's an awful lot bubbling away on multiple sites (not even all CHR) and it all gets terribly confusing to a simple soul like me!

11. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

Where was the what makes a good website thread? There are some really bad railway websites.

12. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    The thread I started is "Online Presence: The Good, The Bad & The Indifferent" over in "General Railway Chat", with the intention in part of not repeatedly heading off piste on line-specific treads.

The aim was to try to establish what makes for a good online presence, what could reasonably be expected on a given line's main website and where social media, like Faceache, fits into things.

It didn't exactly set NP alight (!) but has thrown up several points, the main question which hasn't been answered concerns the balance between what the average visitor might expect and what yer actual enthusiast might want tacked on.

Some keep things updated and tidy, others seem to be satisfied with occasional FB posts .... Meanwhile, the websites of several lines - you know who you are! - are still a complete dog's dinner.

13. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    The website is bubbling away in the background for the moment. We have a fair bit going on with the physical side at the moment and there is no quick and easy fix for the website. It needs a web savvy member and agreement by the board. We can prod and poke but it needs to be a complete and rational thought process otherwise we risk damaging what we have (which I agree is not perfect but is not that bad). As regards the Tanat Valley I am afraid I have no contact and whilst on very friendly terms there is no joint strategy as far as I know.

The map of the lines covered is at
    http://www.cambrianrailways.com/html/map_of_chr_lines.html
    There is a larger view version at
    http://www.cambrianrailways.com/CHR-hi.jpg
    Note that this will not be so obvious on a tablet or mobile screen but you have to scroll right to see the start of the map due to the odd shape of our line.
    The TWAO application links together the various sections and has each section identified
    http://cambrianrailways.com/twao/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Location-map.pdf

We are working on part of Railway 2, the bit between Oswestry and Weston Wharf. The major bridges are easy:

Middleton Road, Just south of the station and in good order, every so often we have accident damage to the parapets but these repairs are done promptly. No action needed for the moment.

Next going south. Shrewsbury Road / Salop Road / Gasworks Bridge / GWB are all one and the same. This was propped by Shropshire County Council to allow heavier lorries to pass over, it is SCC's responsibility to maintain this. Ideally the deck needs replacing with a stronger structure but there is no budget. By the time SCC get round to replacing the deck it would be decades. The short/medium term fix agreed with SCC is to lower the trackbed under the bridge by around 18" to achieve the necessary clearance, excavation work is about to start in early June.

Cattle Creep, about 300yds further on is a cattle creep, the beams could have been repaired but replacement was a more sensible option. The steel work cost £4k and was funded by donations, once again thanks to all who contributed (mostly through the website so that part works!)

After that is a clear run to Weston station site, which was never a passenger station but has an interesting history in it's own right. We will be building a platform there as there is a brewery right next door, the P Way team seem very enthusiastic to reach Weston. I wonder why??

The operating section at Llynclys is working together with Oswestry and is promoted on the CHR website.

What will make it much easier is when sections link up and we are trying our hardest to make that happen.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  14. Robkitchuk

Robkitchuk Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    So the only other question I have. Is there still a link with the Tanat/Nantmawr project?
    Plus thank you for the blog and map updates.

15. TommyD

TommyD New Member

I’m sure you’re sick of this question but has there been any progress on gaining access through the old Llynclys station site, which I understand is in private hands. And also, has any thought been given to heading towards llanymynech, which in my mind would be a much better destination and terminus.

All in all, I wish all the best for this project. The railway goes through some cracking scenery, especially further south. But then, as an old salopian I would say that!

ilvaporista likes this.
  16. 7P6F

7P6F Part of the furniture

The only concern I have is the crossing of the A5 and how amenable will the Highways dept. be to an embryonic heritage railway on a Summer Saturday using the automatic half barrier crossing which is still in situ. A public service with a railcar from Gobowen to Oswestry would complement the heritage service and would be a positive in any negotiations. Running south of Oswestry to Llynclys would also have the A483 to cross.

It will be helpful if the Rother Valley railway complete their extension accross the A21 and the impact on road vehicles is minimal. Although their progress is being impeded by a couple of well heeled locals. No doubt the Dean Forest Railway would share their experiences with the CHR as their line has a crossing over the A48 at Lydney.

I look forward to once again travelling behind a Castle through Gobowen and passing a Collet 14xx in the bay even if its no longer 1432 or 1438. Come to think of it that would still be possible with the line to Park Hall halt.

TommyD and ilvaporista like this.
  17. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    As far as I know there is no formal link with the Tanat Valley but there is contact between the two groups and relations are friendly.

The Llynclys station site has been discussed and things change over time. What was valid a year ago may no longer be appropriate. I think it is safest to say that the issue will be dealt with as needed. Personally I feel that the level crossing issue has a slightly higher priority level at the moment, though both are vital to the overall project.

As highlighted further up the thread the possibilities of getting to Llanymynech by the direct route are close to zero. The route via the Potts Line is possible and my personal feeling is that a watchful eye should be kept on planning to keep the potential corridor open. This route however is filled with civil engineering challenges and would require millions to be invested.

Before going off and spending more money and resources on extremely long term goals it is better to concentrate on making the best use of what we have. We will never generate funds or wider interest without a joined up, operating railway, that is where the focus is and that is where the funds are being directed.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    TommyD, marshall5, echap and 4 others like this.
  18. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    Indeed the crossings are the key and as mentioned before the preferred option would be a long overdue upgrade of the A5 and A483, however government budgets are notoriously difficult to predict and influence.

Although I like the vision of a 14XX sat in the bay I think the idea of a third isolated operating section might create more problems than gains, though personally I would like to see some item of restored stock in the bay to advertise a presence at Gobowen station.

echap likes this.
  19. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    I should also add that historically the residents of Llanymynech are not supportive of any railway presence.

weltrol likes this.
  20. weltrol

weltrol Part of the furniture Friend

ilvaporista and Copper-capped like this.