If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Oswestry Update

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by ilvaporista, Aug 13, 2010.

1. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    We are short of operating staff which is restricting progress. Full training will be given and there are opportunities in all areas.
    With the extension coming on stream it's a good time to join in.
    No pictures this week as we have been moving earth and sorting out materials.

echap likes this.
  2. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    Work on vegetation clearance has begun at Park Hall Halt between Oswestry and Gobowen. Half of the platform has been reclaimed from nature.

Sad news this week that long time treasurer and membership secretary Roly lost his long and hard fought battle with illness. He was one of the key elements that brought everyone together with a common purpose.

It may seem a quiet time but be assured that many things are going on that will be reported through the proper channels. We are very grateful to all of our partners and supporters that are helping to make the dream come true.

Our usual picture sources are on holiday or on other activities so normal service will be resumed when they return.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    30854, Steve B, echap and 1 other person like this.
  3. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    I have added some pictures of the clearance at Park Hall Halt. It will be a while before trains call here but it's there waiting.

Details on the blog.
    http://ilvaporista.blogspot.com/

Other activities are going ahead and hopefully the official channels will release an update. All news about grant funded projects has to come through the correct route.

30854, echap, Steve B and 5 others like this.
  4. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    If the storms pass by and the heavy rains hold off, this weekend we hope to install the rails to link up the two parts of the extension and complete the accommodation crossing. With this in mind the Thursday Gang started to lay out the sleepers.

Details on the blog.

I will now be on holiday for two weeks but depending on signal strength I hope to still keep adding updates. It's a long drive but if you see a silver and black Italian registered Jeep at a site with steam you know you have been vaporisted....

30854, jnc, baldbof and 4 others like this.
  5. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    Another piece of modern CHR history. The first works train has just run to the cattle creep. Pictures will be up later as I am currently rushing to Calais to catch the ferry.

echap, jnc and weltrol like this.
  6. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    Pictures now up. There was no need to rush for the ferry, currently running 5 hours behind schedule. I'll never moan again about late running galas.

Details of the link up on the blog.

30854, baldbof, brmp201 and 7 others like this.
  7. brmp201

brmp201 Member

IT Director
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I follow your blog religiously! Great to see the progress being made - wish I lived within easier range to visit.

Is there more stock at Weston and will it be moved to Oswestry by rail, now that the link is in?

8. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    Many thanks for your kind comments and support!

Yes the stock that is at Weston will move mostly to Oswestry. The length between the cattle creep and the station site will need to be upgraded before passenger trains can be run but is OK for empty stock movements. The site at Weston needs to be cleared so we can create the station.

The works at Weston are gearing up and there is progress. There will be an official update but that will be given through the correct channels.

30854, jnc, echap and 1 other person like this.
  9. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    I have added more pictures of the work at the crossing. Thursday was a bit wet so most popular were the inside jobs.

30854, Bluenosejohn, echap and 3 others like this.
  10. baldbof

baldbof Well-Known Member Friend

Retired, ex-RAF
    Good progress!! You guys wouldn't like to take a breather and come and help at the lock restoration would you? A change of scenery/air for short time can be very re-invigorating. ;)

echap and ilvaporista like this.
  11. DragonHandler

DragonHandler Well-Known Member

I paid a visit to Oswestry the other Saturday while on my way to Porthmadog, it was only a small detour from my route and having read so much about the work on here I thought it too good an opportunity to miss and it provided a convenient place for a break from driving. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to have a ride behind the Andrew Barclay. I was impressed by the amount of work being done and the friendliness of the volunteers. I looked at Llynclys, but there wasn't much going on and as I'd visited there last year, and I'd spent more time at Oswestry than I'd intended, I moved swiftly on. I took a few photos during my visits and some of them can be found on my website.

echap, Bluenosejohn and ilvaporista like this.
  12. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    Yes one day I will come and have a look. Not far away from us we have the work on the Montgomery canal which should come close to our line.

echap likes this.
  13. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    On the weekends of the 14/15 and 21/22 September we are again taking part in the nationwide Heritage Open days.
    There will be a free shuttle bus from the main line at Gobowen so it is the ideal chance to come and visit and see progress.
    Details should be on the blog tomorrow.

echap likes this.
  14. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    The timetable of the shuttle bus is now up on the blog.

For those who use public transport this is the ideal time to visit. Arrive by rail at Gobowen and you will be taken by the free shuttle bus to the various CHR sites. There is catering at both sites and trains will be running also at both sites.

30854 and echap like this.
  15. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    Some initial work on the track layout at Weston has taken place. If you look closely in the background you can also see work has started on the drainage and platforms. But I didn't tell you that!

Details ont the blog.

30854, Bluenosejohn, brmp201 and 2 others like this.
  16. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    The latest newsletter has just been published. You can subscribe via the link on the CHR Homepage or on the link from the blog.

Plenty of news and background information. There is now a regular Sunday morning extreme gardening group at Park Hall Halt who will be gradually pushing back the vegetation between the halt and Gobowen.

Edit: Also includes details of the track walks coming up. Two train rides, two bites to eat and you keep fit.

echap likes this.
  17. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    This week we are having updates on the progress of the Suburban coach restoration. Today's post shows the work on the outside which is steadily being restored. Later in the week we will look inside to see things coming back together.
    You can see in person the progress as the next two weekends will be open house at Oswestry and Llynclys, free bus laid on for getting around the sites.

Details on the blog.

30854, echap, Bluenosejohn and 2 others like this.
  18. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    At the CHR it's the first of the weekends connected to the national Heritage Open Days. There are lots of events throughout the UK.

We will be having various demonstrations of aspects of our project at both main sites. Best of all there is a free bus service between the sites and to the rail network at Gobowen.

The blog has details of the work this week and the timetable for the bus service.

19. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    • The second and last of this year's Heritage Open Days takes place this weekend. Free bus from Gobowen rail station.
    • More work has been done around the cattle creep.
    • Details on the blog

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    echap likes this.
  20. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    The last operating day before the Christmas season saw the train operate to beyond the crossing. Colin took some video. That's great progress in 2019.

30854, Robkitchuk, marshall5 and 4 others like this.