If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

P2 Locomotive Company and related matters

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by class8mikado, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Some more excellent pics and animation of a version of the Franklin-Lentz gear on the P2 facebook page today ...... https://www.facebook.com/groups/1407030846180541/

2. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

So when it is complete with all the modifications which are different to the LNER built ones its class should be a new sub class called P2/1.

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Already been done. LNER got at least as far as P2/3 so you'll need to go at least as far as P2/4.

4. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

It is interesting to see that though the boiler fitted to Tornado has given some cause for concern the Trust propose to have more of what is essentially the same for the P2. Alan Haigh proposes a watertube firebox which offers a number of advantages including an improved resistance to stress cycling and subsequent fatigue issues. Just hope that the Trust are not returning to Germany purely because they believe that there is no alternative - remember the Austrailian fiasco.

5. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

That facebook page is only viewable by people who have facebook accounts. Do they really want to restrict who can view it, or have they merely failed to think?

6. Sheff

I don't know, isn't that the norm for all FB pages, or can you read some without an account? I'm surprised that people don't have FB accounts these days - it's like not having an email address, or relying on the Beano for your news, rather than being on NP. The work was posted by a supporter, it's not official P2 Loco Co. information.

oddsocks likes this.
  7. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Some facebook pages can be viewed by anyone, so I presume that any page can be set that way if the page's owner so chooses. And some of us don't have facebook accounts, for reasons that seem good to us, notably concern about facebook reportedly making unilateral changes to privacy settings.

Matt37401 likes this.
  8. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I'd suggest that quite a significant number of people aren't bothered about having Farcebook accounts, even though they may be prolific Internet users. There's a finite number of minutes in the day and you can't view everything so you have to be selective.

bakabung likes this.
  9. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

I'm not on Faceache and I'm of the generation that's supposed to be glued to it! Main reason I'm not on it is I'm bad enough wasting too much time on railway related forums and GWSR blogs, open up the whole world and I'll never get anything done! I look on one or two Facebook pages regularly viewable to anyone, not just members, and I'll click on links to news from here, but available in other formats on-line would be great too :)

10. Sheff

I find that FB makes it so much easier to follow news from any group etc that you are involved with or interested in - the notifications are much more reliable than on here for a start. It's also more photo/video friendly than NP, so I tend to spend more time on there than on here these days, tracking loco's and heritage lines that interest me, plus my other non-railway interests, including keeping up with distant friends and family. In many years of use I've not come across any of these alleged privacy issues, unlike email spam etc.

oddsocks and irwellsteam like this.
  11. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    I've just retired from teaching in the FE sector, so mostly 16 - 18 year olds, but not exclusively. Believe me, I have come across this; in fact, it became a major issue. I won't touch Facebook.

12. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Regarding privacy issues and Facebook it's quite simple really, don't put anything in your profile or on your timeline that you wouldn't want others to see. The fact is we are all on a database somewhere.

oddsocks likes this.
  13. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Fact remains an awful lot of people don't and won't use Facebook, and you're not going to change that by telling us that our reasons are not valid.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    bakabung and Big Al like this.
  14. NeilL

NeilL Well-Known Member

Retired & OAPWay & tree feller
    But it works. Create an account, no personal details, no photograph, make no FB friends and little prospect of problems

oddsocks and Sheff like this.
  15. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

That misses the point as they then have your email address unless you reserve a separate email for all stuff like Facebook, Twitter, Ebay.....and NP. But there is nothing to stop others viewing whatever is on Facebook about the P2 or any other loco for that matter.

16. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

Back to the matter in hand, is there anywhere else that those of us who are unable to view facebook can see the Franklin-Lentz animation ? The fact that someone has done an animation suggests that they may seriously be looking at all the options.

17. bakabung

bakabung Well-Known Member

Cat servant
    I inadvertently joined Faceache via an Osprey RSPB site as I go up there fairly regularly to photograph them. Didn't realise that it was entwined with Faceache so I tried everything to cancel the account but I still get inundated with "xyz updated his status etc" emails.

18. Sheff

In a word, no, certainly not at the moment. As I tried to explain above, the work has been done by a supporter, who is clearly a very good CAD designer. I understand he isn't on the design team right now, and has done it for 'fun' if you like, but has been generous enough to share with fellow P2 FB page members. It's highly educational however, one of the finest pieces of work I've ever seen. "Not being able to see FB" is your choice, so you also won't have seen regular updates on other new-builds and other heritage projects. That's fine, it's your choice, but would those who chose not to use FB please stop complaining that you can't see all this fascinating stuff? It's entirely up to the individual where any of us chose to publish information on the web after all.

19. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Ere, Sheff, when are you ever gonna come up with them figs from the info I gave you eons ago?.......... lol! ;) :)

20. Sheff

Errrr ..... We talking ale or loco performance or a formula for calculating the chances of a finding a box on the back ?