If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Paignton and Dartmouth Heritage Festival 9-10th May 2009

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Roosterrory, Feb 10, 2009.

1. 37255

37255 Guest

All of the above sounds good! As a further idea, how about top and tailing, but NOT banking trains? say the 2-8-0s on one set, with the manor and the 25 on the other? I don't know the line well, but I understand there to be a reasonable degree of climbing in each direction? So with 2 sets in use, top and tailed, a frequent timetable could be maintained, whilst the rear loco provides more weight. Brake van trips also sound a good idea.

2. basher

basher Member

Musician
    I agree to a certain extent....TnT operation provides a dead-weight on the back, which is always a bonus! However for an outfit such as Paignton though, loco changes may work better...

It (very importantly) allows the highly desirable situation of allowing a locomotive to be present at each end of the line, more or less continuously throughout the day - something thats very useful for a 'special' weekend, when things are supposed to be different. With engine changes at each end of the line (or even only at Paignton, with three locos in action), you get the action of shunting, plus also get the variety of different locos on different sets.

It also gives the locos a chance to have a go on all the gradients/through the tunnel etc! It also keeps the diesel boys happy: the Rat bashers (usually a given, when the 25 comes out to play at the P&DR) would be very miffed if they had to endure a kettle turn back, after each run with the 25. They'd vote with their feet, and not attend - trust me. Far better to have a layover (pub time for the bashers), then enjoy it back later...

The idea of having a loco simmering in the station whilst the trains up the line is an important one though. To arrive at the railway, just after a trains left, is a little galling - especially if theres a long wait till the arrival of the next one ( and even more so if you have a family with you), with just a cold hard platform to look at. To have a loco simmering away in the runround loop (or in that wonderful headshunt at Paignton - perfect publicity) is an excellent welcome - which still provides minimum quick turnarounds for locos at each end, as well as plenty of time for servicing/crew breaks etc.

(Oh and Mr 37255 sir, a class 25 throbbing away under that canopy at Paignton is also highly rateable....) =P~

3. 37255

37255 Guest

Good point, well made. In which case, what would be the longest trains which could be operated, allowing for run rounds / loco swaps to take place, and for trains to pass en route? It seems that people are after a fairly simple gala with locos working hard, so maybe as said, 4 locos, 2 heavy rakes of stock, and brake van trips?

4. 45064

45064 New Member

I would second that. Four engines,two rakes of stock (is there enough stock/room to pass for 10 coach trains?). Diesel shunters on brakevan shuttles at Churston and maybe a trip out for them at start or end of day.

That would sell it for me.

Jeff

5. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I install Commercial and Domestic Oil Tanks all ov
    So basically an everything goes weekend then, could maybe be marketed as such
    Heritage Weekend "everything Goes"
    I like the idea of the shuttles at Kingswear and would provide an unusual oppurtunity to travel behind the 08 or the 04. The driver for a fiver thing is also attractive.

As I said earlier you don't want to do too much too quickly build on it gradually year by year so people a) get to know you do them again and b) realise that when you do they will be good va;lue for money and they will return time and time again.

6. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Avoid Top and Tail and have freights to make a good gala!

Perhaps Colas could lend a Brush....and pick up 306 from Bodmin and the rat Totnes...

7. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

I remember the last time I went to the SDR, the first train of the day was double headed to leave a loco at staverton for the freight, a similar thing could be attainable by leaving an engine at Kingswear?

Regarding driver for a fiver, why not have the 03 or even a steam loco in the bay at Kingswear? Would give something immediate to do at the south end of the line (Before the ferry trip across to Dartmouth), then swap the locos halfway through the day to give the linesiders and passengers some variety before top and tailing/double heading the last train back.

8. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

Selling line-side passes might be a good way to make money from those on bridges?

Those who want to see the manor on a heavy load clearly haven't been behind the Manor with the summer load of 9 full coaches. Certainly makes it chuff!

9. ZEP

ZEP New Member

hello
    how about line side passes and sending your drivers to charm school

10. sturdon

sturdon New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Line side passed will not work for several good reasons.
    Firstly from Queens Park station to Hookhill Viaduct some 2 miles, there is a footpath that runs long side (or very close) to the line.
    The next part of the line (with the exception of Churston station area) down as far as Britannia crossing there is no suitable area for the general public with safety in mind to observe and photo/film any passing movements. The last part from Britannia to Kingswear again has a footpath running long side the track. Also who is going to do the supervision??

And what is wrong with our drivers????

11. Steamchest

Steamchest New Member

Coach driver
    Absolutely nothing. They are masters of their task and, in my opinion, a delight to talk to as long as you pick a suitable moment...

John.

12. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Many of the staff use to be right miserable when I last travelled on the trains in the late 80s. I am sure things have changed in the last 20 years!

13. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

They have they are all quite friendly now, as long as you pick the right moments. After all they are at work and some people should remember this whilst they are complaining about drivers and ireman not talking to them.

14. ntarabbit

ntarabbit New Member

Is it a possibility that if SDR lend a locomotive for the p&dsr gala, that the p&dsr lend the devon belle observation saloon to the sdr for the 40th anniversary gala?

15. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

Extra and freight trains sound great until it is remembered that with two trains running an intensive service it is not easy to arrange another train path. The Torbay Express is slotted into the lull at lunchtime on its inward journey and after the last train on its return trip. There was only one passing place and that was at Churston. However with the new facilities at Goodrington it may well be possible to path an extra train or two.

Watch this space (hopefully).

16. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I think that's what many people's thoughts are based on, use of the loop at Goodrington could potentially allow 3 trains to run at once passing at Goodrington & Churston.

17. Roosterrory

Roosterrory Member

Fireman/Fitter at PDSR
    Right, been very quiet on this subject recently as key members of management currently on hols, so can't get much info, but have heard 4277 and 5239 will be known just for the wknd as..................

4277 and 5239

18. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Better keep the nameplates somewhere safe ... in case they "go missing" :smt077

Richard

19. TA

TA New Member

Does it really matter. They will not look like 4277 and 5239, they will still look as if they have been painted by a five year old with a set of colouring crayons. Sorry but even if they do remove the names it still won't be possible to polish a turd.

20. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I think aside from the fact that they have the incorrect lining (which I don't Necessarily think is that bad) that all of the PDSR fleet have very good paint jobs.

I also heard recently that 6435 is still in its original paintwork from when it was restored.

I would like to know what will happen to the give away screw holes though.